It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Cymbalta

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
1awesomegranny
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User
Cymbalta

Hi all...I have had chronic back pain for years and it's not getting any better. Yesterday at the doctor's we talked and he wants to put me on Cymbalta 30 mg. So of course I came home and ** Googled it and mostly there are just bad, terrible and horrible stories about side effects, withdrawl and other things.
My question is has anyone here used this drug, for how long, did it help and if you had to stop it was it hell? I wouldn't mind taking something for the rest of my life if it works, no different to me than having to take BP meds, cholesterol meds, or otc pain killers. I'm only 62 and would love to be more active and in a better mood with less pain!
Thanks for any answers and advice you can help me with.
Conni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Cymbalta

Please provide more details about your back pain...where it is located, whether it is constant...if not, what makes it better or worse. Have you ever had a specific diagnosis?

Old 09-27-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
1awesomegranny
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

My specific diagnosis is Degenerative Disc disease and arthritis. A PT also suggested piriformis syndrome. Chiro did not help at all.
I've had sciatic problems on and off for years but they never lasted long, I could usually stretch them away over a few weeks. The past several months the pain has been constant from right under the butt cheeks down a bit and a duller pain in the small of my back. It's almost like my lower back locks up and it is difficult to bend forward or over. I can do it, but it is PAINFUL! As is getting up from or sitting in a chair, very sharp pain with those moves. It effects how I walk which effects my knees. I have to do stairs one at a time both up and down.
When I am sitting there is no pain, and I sleep fine, it's just when I have to move.
I do stretches morning and evening and during the day if I am home. They give some relief but not lasting. Living on ibuprofen is not doing my stomach any good and tylenol is next to worthless for this which is why I talked to my doctor and he recommended Cymbalta.
Conni

Old 09-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I'm not quite clear on this: do you have pain in both legs? If so, have you been checked for a spondylolisthesis of the lower lumbar area? This is when one vertebra slips over the top of the adjacent vertebra.

Usually sciatic pain is limited to one side unless there is a disc that has herniated in the central zone or there is this instability.

I have not taken Cymbalta but know it is widely prescribed for fibromyalgia and various neuropathies. If it weren't for the difficulty of weaning off it if it doesn't work, I would say you might as well try it. But, it is not without side effects...so it is something to think about. Some people feel better on it after the initial adjustment.

If you do decide to try it, give it a chance to work. Some people give up before they find out if it is going to help with pain...or not.

You can type Cymbalta into the search box and then read about others' experiences with the drug.

Has surgery ever been suggested to try to resolve the symptoms?

Old 09-28-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I can see cymbalta if you had continual chronic pain and depression or low mood no energy to function.
Have you tried celebrex?

q

Old 10-19-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Did you decided to go on Cymbalta? How is your sciatic pain now?

Reply Reply