It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

chronic rib pain 2 yrs after injury - feels hopeless...

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2018, 11:16 PM   #1
kingfitz
(male)

kingfitz HB User
chronic rib pain 2 yrs after injury - feels hopeless...

Hi Im late 20s, skinny and weak frame, had history of rib subluxations, very healthy otherwise. Ive had chronic right rib pain for over 2 yrs due to a sharp blow to the right side. Saw chiropractors 50 + times since then. It has been a struggle to keep them in, its basically a slipping rib syndrome. Its around the T6 rib. Ive had xrays, nothing abnormal to see around these ribs - just a slight curve in my spine, some lumbar misalignment, etc. Only now its getting slightly worse, and I fear due to the trauma in that area, scar tissue has formed, healing out of proper place. Now the rib seems permanently out (its been out higher % of time than in since the injury - sometimes i would go weeks up to 2months without seeing a chiro). So based on my self analysis (other doctors cant identify the problem accurately due to the nature of it) its a chronic partial rib subluxation - I say partial because I havent really had pain breathing, whereas with previous rib injuries years before this I have had pain breathing. Pain is under the right pect, intercostal burning / aching pain, constantly. Also there achy pain out of place feeling behind my right shoulder blade. Some minor sternal ache rarely. Ive had my best chiro try to get it in, but it wont budge - hes able to adjust my neck and low back and other areas fine. Its debilitating, and worsens with stooping, bending, putting shoes on, exercise ( I only do cardio and light weights/calisthenics at this point because Im partially crippled), even sleeping on that side. As far as activities I cant work right now, I generally take it easy and use a standing desk a lot because sitting is bad.

One doc recommended an MRI to look for any soft tissue abnormalities. At this point may as well to see whats going on, but I feel theres NOTHING that can be done. In an extreme scenario its like the next step after that is a crazy thoracic surgery cutting my back and chest open to cut out some tissue thats blocking the proper rib alignment. Which will cost probably 40000$ which I dont have. This is ruining my life. Im depressed dont know what to do. Is there any hope for my life? How much can a deep massage actually do? I tried one a year ago and the pain got worse afterwards. If this doesnt get better I dont know how long I can keep living like this.

Last edited by kingfitz; 10-16-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2018, 03:20 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Thumbs up Re: chronic rib pain 2 yrs after injury - feels hopeless...

Dear kingfitz,

Does a back brace help you any? have you tried one?

Yes, massage can do wonders to provide some relief for you, but you need a massage therapist that knows how to not go too deep. If not for occasional massage I would not be able to keep functioning. Soaks in very warm water with Epsom salts will relax the muscles and give some deep relief. I can no longer get into a tub, so I can't get that kind of relief anymore, but if you can get in a tub I highly recommend Epsom salts for pain relief.

I am so sorry you have that kind of trial to live with! I know how it feels to have physical issues keeping us from doing all we would like to do. I just want to encourage you that you can modify your activities and learn how to move and learn healthy stretches to adjust to your own true capacity. And, most of it you will need to find out for yourself, since no one else lives inside your body. I learned that early on, after a serious accident that permanently changed my life. Bending to put my shoes on is very difficult and painful. I need slip on shoes, but they fall off easily. I know it is very difficult to be so young and also so limited in what you can do! But let me assure you that you can make the adjustments to your life that are necessary for your own well being. You can rise above this, and learn what to do or not do. I cannot say it's easy. I know it is not ever easy to have pain and movement limitations!

I had a robust and strong frame until age 17 when I was knocked off a motorcycle by a truck that had come onto our side of the road and hit me directly, knocking me off the motorcycle. Two and a half inches of leg length was lost in one of my legs, making me permanently crippled. That was 52 years ago, and during this time the pain, the aches, falling down, the shortened muscles, other breaks from falling, etc, etc, all cause a lot of pain and prevents me from doing many things I used to be able to do before the accident. I can only bend from my waist which stresses out every other part of my body...I'm just sharing that I know what it's like to have body dysfunction.

Personally, from all of my years of experience with surgeries, I would not go for further surgery unless there was a GREAT deal of success with a very similar type of surgery. In my case, every subsequent surgery that was tried made things more difficult and painful. I just want to encourage you to do what you can do, change your position often so you don't get too fatigued. If you can afford it, a MRI to see what is really going on may be helpful. At least then you know.

Get plenty of rest, do very gentle stretches to the best of your ability, eat a healthy diet, and keep looking on the bright side. The bright side often is only be that things could be worse.

No matter what, hold onto the bright side. You can do this.

Love,

Last edited by YaYagirl; 10-17-2018 at 03:28 AM.

Reply Reply