It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

spine rotates, 'stuck' - severe pain

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2018, 09:41 AM   #1
pressedflowerar
(female)

pressedflowerar HB User
Unhappy spine rotates, 'stuck' - severe pain

Hello, this is my first post to this message board.

Since beginning of July, increasing hypermobility of Lumbar and lower thoracic spine. At first it was the junction at L1-T12, then affected T11, 10, 9. Now every time I turn my upper body to the left, L3, L2 etc. all the way up through lower thoracic levels rotate to the right and stick there.

Previous fall on ice Feb. 2015, L4 instability and left SI joint as well.. fusion of L4-5 (October 2015), with L5-S1 congenitally sacralized (solid). So this L3 level is next one up. ALSO had left SI fusion Jan. 3 2017, very good surgeon.

Aquatherapy (pool PT) 2-3 times a week w emphasis on spinal stabilization and general body conditioning. Wearing QuickDraw lumbar brace when on my feet, it helps remind me not to twist however doesn't prevent the rotational instability. Adapted sleep and dress and personal care, nothing is helping enough. Intolerable pain until i have Chiropractor or osteopath adjust. Adjustment works, corrects alignment, pain free until I move wrong (usually 2 days). then in unrelenting pain until i can be seen again for adjustment. !

I don't know if MRI would show evidence of this instability, probably not. Would CT scan show more detail?

Please advise of your thoughts and direction.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: spine rotates, 'stuck' - severe pain

Welcome to the board. I just noticed your post. Sorry no one responded sooner.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “stuck.” Can you describe it in more detail?

Regarding which imaging is preferable, it would depend on what the issues are. The MRI will show soft tissue in addition to the skeletal...it would show an issue with a disc. Since you have had those other issues with the lumbar spine and SI joints, I would guess you have something going on like degenerative disc disease which contributes to the instability.

But perhaps the muscles are not as strong as they need to be, or ligaments are stretched out.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
pressedflowerar
(female)

pressedflowerar HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5490074]Welcome to the board. I just noticed your post. Sorry no one responded sooner.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “stuck.” Can you describe it in more detail?

Regarding which imaging is preferable, it would depend on what the issues are. The MRI will show soft tissue in addition to the skeletal...it would show an issue with a disc. Since you have had those other issues with the lumbar spine and SI joints, I would guess you have something going on like degenerative disc disease which contributes to the instability.

But perhaps the muscles are not as strong as they need to be, or ligaments are stretched out.[/QUOTE]

Hello!

Thank you for the response. To clarify if I can, when I turn upper body to the left, certain vertebrae levels of lumbar/thoracic rotate to the right (as they should) yet they Stay there. These levels are painfully stuck out of alignment until I can get to a chiropractic or osteopathic adjustment. I have a bulge at L3 disc, however those above don't have a remarkable issue. I do have hypermobility of the static joint stabilizers, as *** orthopedics told me regarding my shoulder rotation, etc. Ligaments of spine, a large issue. Trying to strengthen muscles however it is probably not going to make up for the ligamentous mobility.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Have you heard of prolotherapy? I have never had it done but did look into it when I was having spinal issues after a lumbar fusion a number of years ago. It is a series of injections that are supposed to build up and strengthen ligaments.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:33 AM   #5
pressedflowerar
(female)

pressedflowerar HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5490105]Have you heard of prolotherapy? I have never had it done but did look into it when I was having spinal issues after a lumbar fusion a number of years ago. It is a series of injections that are supposed to build up and strengthen ligaments.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've heard of Prolotherapy. I asked chiropractor, however he says not as many practitioners are using it now. Basically, an injection that increases inflammation and causes more blood supply to the area, hopefully followed by healing, is that the main idea? thanks!

Old 11-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #6
Mega75
(female)

Mega75 HB User

Hi Pressedflower.

Sorry to hear your back has been giving you so much trouble lately. That does sound very painful.

As for a test that might give you some answers on the instability, the one test that came to my mind is the Flexion-extension X-ray. That's supposed to be really good at picking up/measuring spinal instability. That might be something to ask your doctor about. I haven't had that one yet--it's been enough of a "fight" (insurance company!) to get approval for a follow up MRI--but I might bring it up to my dr at some point.

Anyway, I hope you get some answers soon. And most of all some relief.

Hang in there!

Old 11-09-2018, 05:39 AM   #7
pressedflowerar
(female)

pressedflowerar HB User

[QUOTE=Mega75;5490153]Hi Pressedflower.

Sorry to hear your back has been giving you so much trouble lately. That does sound very painful.

As for a test that might give you some answers on the instability, the one test that came to my mind is the Flexion-extension X-ray. That's supposed to be really good at picking up/measuring spinal instability. That might be something to ask your doctor about. I haven't had that one yet--it's been enough of a "fight" (insurance company!) to get approval for a follow up MRI--but I might bring it up to my dr at some point.

Anyway, I hope you get some answers soon. And most of all some relief.

Hang in there![/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply! Yes, a flexion-extension X ray would help to show instability as we bend. The trouble is, this is 'rotational' instability. I don't think flexion-extension views have to do with rotating the spine, that is where my problem is..

Old 11-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #8
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

The flexion-extension X-ray is often used to diagnose a spondylolisthesis...which causes instability at the vertebral level. It could be slipping sideways or front to back. The facet joints are what keeps the spine upright, keeps us from bending too far or twisting too far. If the facet is worn away, that protection is gone.

Reply Reply