It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Neck pain and Xray results, HELP!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
MollyW2013
(female)

MollyW2013 HB User
Neck pain and Xray results, HELP!

Hi,

I have had severe right neck pain for months now, I assumed I slept weird and combined with my office job, where my posture isn't optimal, caused myself a neck issue. However, went to my family doc, and he sent me to do some neck x-rays. The results are the following:

Cervical spondylosis with multiple levels disc degeneration. Pronounced at C5 to C6 and C6 to C7. Bilateral neural foraminal stenosis at C5-6C 6C- C7 bilaterally on the right it C4 to C5. Loss of and slight reversal of cervical lordotic curvature.

My doctor is suggesting physical therapy, but not referring me anywhere else or offering anything else. Does this seem appropriate given what the result is?
My neck symptoms are daily stiffness, weekly neck pain, occasional neck/head migraines, ringing in the ears, and a little dizziness.

Any input or advice is appreciated.

Molly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Neck pain and Xray results, HELP!

Hi Molly....PT is a good thing as it will help you strengthen your muscles so that your discs are hurting so badly. I also have herniations in the same place- and I have learned to live with them after 5 years; the only other alternative is surgery, and truthfully, its not that bad that they WANT to operate and I truly do not want spinal/ neck surgery.

Stenosis is very common and it happens to all of us as we age...it really is a narrowing of the area around the skeleton and unless it is seriously compromised, pushing on a nerve so completely that it is causing movement issues or numbness- its not worth worrying about.

Ask around- you'll find a good physical therapist or a good PT center. They all do pretty much the same but you want one who you actually like. You can go in and talk to them and not commit if you are uncomfortable with what they say. PT should help you and its a really good way to help identify things you might be doing which aggravate it and to help alleviate pain.

Good luck!

Old 10-25-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
MollyW2013
(female)

MollyW2013 HB User

Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate it. I will ask around for a good PT.

Molly

Old 10-26-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I would approach this “news” slightly differently. Without a MRI you have no idea the extent of the issues mentioned in the X-ray report, nor or you learning about anything other than the bones of the neck. You need a MRI to see soft tissue, etc. Not everyone who has neck pain needs an MRI! However, only you can determine the extent of your pain and whether the condition is worsening. If this is one of the first times you are experiencing this, and you do not have any radiating pain, PT will hopefully be an adequate first treatment. Too often though, it is just a bandaid that postpones the worsening of symptoms and the eventually need for a MRI.

I think it is a good idea to have a MRI to establish a baseline, to see the health of the discs and whether there is anything pressing into the spinal canal. This is the important consideration when considered cervical and thoracic spinal issues. If there is pressure on the spinal canal, it can cause compression of the spinal cord...which can lead to all kinds of problems...including a disease called myelomalacia which is an irreversible softening of the spinal cord, nerve compression, which can resulted in pain, tingling, loss of motor skills, even paralysis in the most severe cases.

I assume your doctor has assessed the level of change in the cervical spine and feels there is no nerve compression, since you aren’t complaining of referred arm/hand pain, tingling, loss of coordination, dropping things, etc. At this point, physical therapy may be able to help.

Sounds like you could also use some help in setting up your work area to be sure it is ergonomically correct. Invest in a really good, ergonomically correct chair and begin to really pay attention to your structural alignment and posture. You probably are carrying your head too far forward.

In the meantime, take NSAIDs for pain and use moist heat across your shoulders and neck for pain.

It can be tricky finding a PT who is able to treat to your specific issues. Good luck!

Reply Reply