It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Can neck pain cause shoulder blade pain?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

smokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB User
    Can neck pain cause shoulder blade pain?

I'm just wondering if neck pain can cause shoulder blade pain and the shoulder blade pain pain shoot down the arm to the thumb side of the hand? This is all on the right side. About 12 years, I was told that I had bulging in C5-6 and borderline narrowing of the cervical spinal canal and that there were "short periods" in the cervical spine. I have no idea what that last part means but I have never done anything with that report, not even pain meds thinking it would possibly go away on its own. Now, 12 years later, I'm wondering if this report would have anything to do with neck and shoukder blade pain. I don't have the shoulder blade pain all the time, but when I do, it seems to go down my arm into my elbow and sometimes into part of my hand. I have had this issue ever since being in Menopause (no monthly cycles anymore). Also, there is a rib that gets tender on that same side on the side that some bothers me. Any ideas? I turn my neck to the left and it has some pain but its my right side that has the pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Can neck pain cause shoulder blade pain?

Absolutely! You may need PT or perhaps just a chiro adjustment. I had the same thing happen. Chiro did one neck adjustment and all was well.Didn't have xray or MRI so don't know exact vertebra but the symptoms were the same.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:01 PM   #3
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

How does that work? When my neck is bothering me, I can feel it in the shoulder blade and it feels like it wraps around to the front of my shoulder. My neck pain is around the C6 I'm guessing is towards the very bottom of my neck. Can that cause scar tissue pain also that's around that area? Ugh...I will try the chiropractor.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:53 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Because it's all connected to your spine and the nerves that run thru it. I recently finished PT for a shoulder impingement that started out as pain in my forearm! Once had a pain in my other shoulder and happened to mention it to my chiro. He said it's your neck,not shoulder, adjusted my neck and shoulder was fine.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #5
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

Do you know if the pectoralis muscles pain can go into breast scar tissue on that same side? How far down does the neck go before it becomes upper back pain?

Old 12-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I can't answer those questions. You should see a chiro or a neurologist who does spine work.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #7
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

It may help you to visualize what may be happening if you look online for a “dermatome map.” This will show you which spinal nerve innervates which area of the body. (You will see that the cervical 6 nerve innervates the thumb!). The cervical spinal nerves basically control feeling and movement to the head and upper chest/shoulder area, arms and hands. Lumbar spinal nerves tend to control movement and sensation to the lower limbs. The exception to this is when there is pressure on the spinal cord itself, when a cervical nerve issue can cause pain, numbness, etc. in legs and feet.

If you had narrowing of the cervical spine twelve years ago, I would feel safe in saying that it has not improved! Usually as we age, due to wear and tear and every day living, narrowing or “stenosis” occurs in all of us. If you have a bulging disc, it may be pressing into the spinal nerve at C5-6...or you may have some new disc bulging. As we age, the little openings, called neuroforamina, that allow a spinal nerve to pass out from the central spinal canal out to the area of the body it innervates, tends to narrow or get “clogged up....” much like an old pipe becomes clogged from years of mineral deposits, gunk, etc. The opening narrows and it puts pressure on the nerve that is passing through it. This results in symptoms like pain, tingling, numbness that appears right at the site, or it can radiate down the path of the nerve...like a numb thumb coming from a compressed C6 nerve!

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    esker (12-11-2018)
    Reply Reply