It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• lumbar surgery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-04-2019, 08:27 PM   #16
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: lumbar surgery

Well...it kind of depends....I had a difficult time with my first surgery which was a one level posterior fusion at L4-5. Now that Iíve had more surgeries, I now think I was over medicated and it made my recovery worse. You will sit up and walk while in hospital. You should limit sitting to no more than 15 minutes at a time. Sitting outs 35% more pressure on the discs than lying/reclining or other positions...so some surgeons limit how long a patient sits..for the first several weeks or months.

You will probably be fairly miserable for the first several days...plan on it, but know things do get better. But recovery is long and you need to be patient. Do not try to rush things a long. Learn to listen to your body...you will be tired after surgery. It takes awhile to get your energy back...this is all very normal.

The people that get into trouble are those who try to do too much too soon. My first surgeon gave no direction...just said I could do anything...but if it hurt, donít do it. This was not at all helpful as you donít find out too late that the activity or movement was too much! And once you cause a nerve to flare up, it can takes ages to get it to calm back down. Better to avoid the situation instead!

Surgery is usually a very effective way to treat spinal stenosis...and often relieves pain and symptoms.

Do you live alone or will you be alone after surgery?

I am happy to answer your questions...if I can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2019, 01:29 AM   #17
    jimmys
    (male)

jimmys HB User

I meant to ask you how difficult it was to sit or lay down after your surgery

Old 01-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #18
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Guess you found out by now...How did things go? I’ll be looking forward to a full report when you feel up to it!

Oh never mind! I was thinking your surgery was today but I reread and see it is the 15th....

So I will answer your question. I’ve had four lumbar surgeries, and each experience was different. I would guess my first surgery is more representative of what you will go through...

Will you have a back brace after surgery? I did after my first and third surgeries...and of course, it made it difficult to stand or sit. The most difficult thing is changing position. It is hard to transition...but then once in position, not too bad.

You will first have surgical pain...and only after that goes, will you have some idea of what you are left with. Depending on the extent of nerve damage you have now, it may take a long time for this is clear up after the nerves are decompressed. Don’t be discouraged if you have residual pain after surgery. Don’t think the surgery was less than successful. It can take 12-18 months post surgery before you will begin to know the outcome.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #19
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wondering how you are doing? Give us an update when you have time!

Reply Reply