It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Pain after kyphoplasty

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
    Kinesha
    (female)

Kinesha HB User
    Pain after kyphoplasty

I was passenger in a car wreck 8-10-18. I had compressed fracture on L2 and kyphoplasty a month later.
    I never experienced any relief at all after surgery.
    My surgeon sent me for spinal steroid injection with no relief afterwards. I have just finished 6 weeks of PT and still canít stand or walk no longer than a few minutes before the pain is unbearable. Iíve had an mri before and after surgery. Surgeon said kyphoplasty was good. Iíve never had any type of back pain before the wreck.
    I got a copy of my mri reports and saw I also have bulging disks in multiple places. My question is, if anyone has experienced this after kyphoplasty what was your treatment plan to rid the pain. Iím 49 and have not been able to work for 4 months now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
    Kimmons04
    (female)

Kimmons04 HB User
    Re: Pain after kyphoplasty

Hi Kinesha,
    Iím on this board for many reasons, my back, Fibromyalgia, etc etc. More later. As I was reading your letter my throat just constricted. My 39 year old son is going through the exact thing you describe. He has compressed l1, L2, L3 and had all of the therapies you mentioned ending with the kyphoplasty. They did one side and his back may be too weak for the other side. He is in horrible constant pain. Is there anything you want me to ask him?
    I understand too. I broke L1-L-2 and L 3 and they are in constant pain.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
    Kinesha
    (female)

Kinesha HB User

[QUOTE=Kimmons04;5490903]Hi Kinesha,
    Iím on this board for many reasons, my back, Fibromyalgia, etc etc. More later. As I was reading your letter my throat just constricted. My 39 year old son is going through the exact thing you describe. He has compressed l1, L2, L3 and had all of the therapies you mentioned ending with the kyphoplasty. They did one side and his back may be too weak for the other side. He is in horrible constant pain. Is there anything you want me to ask him?
    I understand too. I broke L1-L-2 and L 3 and they are in constant pain.[/QUOTE]
    Thank you! Yes, what is his surgeons treatment plan now since he is still in pain. I go to my dr this week but last visit he said he felt as if Iím at my maximum healing. I love on muscle relaxer and Mobic. This is a Workman comp claim since we wrecked going to 2nd office so Iíve gotten the run around since day one

Old 12-15-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Welcome to the board. I am sorry you are in pain. It would be helpful if you could describe your pain in more detail...where specifically it is located, what keeps you from being able to stand ...again where is that pain located, etc. Perhaps you might like to copy some of the MRI report where it talks about the bulging discs...

If only L2 were affected, symptoms would primarily be felt in the front of the thigh. If you have pain in buttocks and/or running down a leg, it is usually caused by an issue like stenosis or a spinal nerve compression at L4-5 or L5-S1.

Did you have any lumbar spine issues prior to this accident? Have you had a MRI of the cervical spine?

Old 12-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #5
    Kinesha
    (female)

Kinesha HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5490908]Welcome to the board. I am sorry you are in pain. It would be helpful if you could describe your pain in more detail...where specifically it is located, what keeps you from being able to stand ...again where is that pain located, etc. Perhaps you might like to copy some of the MRI report where it talks about the bulging discs...

If only L2 were affected, symptoms would primarily be felt in the front of the thigh. If you have pain in buttocks and/or running down a leg, it is usually caused by an issue like stenosis or a spinal nerve compression at L4-5 or L5-S1.

Did you have any lumbar spine issues prior to this accident? Have you had a MRI of the cervical spine?[/QUOTE]
    Hello,
    I have bulging disc per mri in L1-5-S1 with left neutral foraminal narrowing. I have pain no matter what I do. It gets very unbearable walking though. It seems to be in all areas of my back. If I sleep on my right side I wake up with numb right leg. After I walk around 6-7 minutes I feel like my legs drag and I waddle like a pregnant woman from the discomfort in my back. Prior to the wreck never have I had any back issues or pain. I was totally healthy till then

Old 12-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

So, all your lumbar discs are bulging? Does it mention anything else...like neuroforaminal narrowing/ stenosis or facet joint issues...etc? It just seems there is something more going on than a L2 fracture that has supposedly been repaired.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
    Kinesha
    (female)

Kinesha HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5490918]So, all your lumbar discs are bulging? Does it mention anything else...like neuroforaminal narrowing/ stenosis or facet joint issues...etc? It just seems there is something more going on than a L2 fracture that has supposedly been repaired.[/QUOTE]
    Yes I tried to attach a copy of mri and couldnít . It says deformity of the thecal sac, moderate facet degenerative change T-10-11 and T11-12, left neural foraminal narrowing, l posterior annular tear and disc desiccation with disc space tearing T12-L1
    Conclusion: multilevel discongenic and facet degenerative change
    I canít understand why my surgeon never mentioned this to me . I found out when I picked up report and cdís. He has only been treating me for the L2 compressed fracture to my knowledge

Old 12-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #8
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Since you mentioned this was workmenís comp, does this mean you didnít have a choice in doctors? I assume you are seeing a spine surgeon...either an orthopedic spine or neuro surgeon?

Old 12-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #9
    Kinesha
    (female)

Kinesha HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5490934]Since you mentioned this was workmenís comp, does this mean you didnít have a choice in doctors? I assume you are seeing a spine surgeon...either an orthopedic spine or neuro surgeon?[/QUOTE]
    After wreck ambulance took me to nearest hospital then I was transferred to bigger one so the neurosurgeon I saw was on staff there. Iím at my wits end with the pain. WC thinks I can go back to work with restrictions. There is no way I can work like this

Old 12-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #10
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sorry not to get back to you right away...we had a health crisis in the family and I am traveling.

Do you have the option of seeing another spine surgeon...or could you do so under your own initiative? If so, I would recommend another opinion with an orthopedic spine surgeon...(one who treats only neck and back ortho issues). Your symptoms indicate something going on other than the fracture...healed or otherwise.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:11 AM   #11
    Kinesha
    (female)

Kinesha HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5491002]Sorry not to get back to you right away...we had a health crisis in the family and I am traveling.

Do you have the option of seeing another spine surgeon...or could you do so under your own initiative? If so, I would recommend another opinion with an orthopedic spine surgeon...(one who treats only neck and back ortho issues). Your symptoms indicate something going on other than the fracture...healed or otherwise.[/QUOTE]
    I saw my surgeon today. Sending me for 3rd mri Jan 3. She said I may be at my maximum improvement. I noticed she also wrote in work statement dx: fracture of transverse of lumbar vertebrae.
    I plan on getting another opinion once this mri is done

Old 12-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #12
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Kinesha,

I suggest that you find a doctor outside your medical group for the second opinion, as doctors in medical groups stand by each other, which makes sense that they would.

I'm not sure where you are located, but in case you don't know, in the US health insurance is required to pay for second opinion. Usually one has to let your insurance company know your request, and give the name of the second opinion doctor to your insurance company before you make that appointment. Well that is how mine works. You can always ask your insurance company how their contract works.

I hope you recover well!

Reply Reply