It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Back/torso problems for 6 months - "small protrusion"

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
    Unhappy Back/torso problems for 6 months - "small protrusion"

Hi, you can check out my other recent thread under "liver" problems for some more insight. I'm a 49yo female with quite a long history for the last 15 years.

Meanwhile, after suffering almost continuously since May with virtually no answers, when I seemed to suddenly start having mid-torso pains (sore, or burning, etc), I finally thought of going to an orthopedist (and also my neurologist) to check on my spine.

I had an MRI and the report states I have a "small protrusion" at the T8-9 disk level. (BTW, neuro thought all looked fine.)

My doc only stated over the phone that she wouldn't recommend surgery (yikes! Would that be the first thing you think of?) and sort of casually mentioned trying physical therapy or steroid shots (PT I will try to start up, as it usually helps me). She gave me an order at my request, but didn't want a follow-up or anything like that. Didn't seem pushy about choosing a path to take or anything.

I think this may have been causing major problems for me, even if it's "small".

Has anyone had such a thing in your thoracic area? T8-9? I've suffered what I feared were pancreatic symptoms radiating all over, but could that correspond to a herniation at T8-9?

Either way, what should I expect for the future? Doc didn't seem concerned as if I'd possibly hurt myself more, or anything. Couldn't this get worse? Can it get better?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Back/torso problems for 6 months - "small protrusion"

I wrote you a long response a few days ago but apparently must not have posted it. Sorry for the delay in answering you.

I don’t suppose your issues have resolved?

Generally speaking, “ a small protrusion” is fairly common and not necessarily something that will cause symptoms. As we age, we develop wear and tear in the spine and the discs are the first thing to show this deterioration. The thoracic spine doesn’t need to move too much (compared to the cervical and lumbar regions) so there is usually less degenerative change. Also, spine doctors are less likely to treat issues of the thoracic spine aggressively.

Look online for a “dermatome map.” It will show you which area of the body is innervated by the T8-9 spinal nerves. There may be some radiating pain but in the chest area, it tends to run around rather the torso than up and down...radiating pain in the cervical and lumbar spine tend to run down a limb.

My guess is that while it is possible this small herniation is causing some symptoms, it is more likely they are coming from one of your other medical issues.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the input. I'm starting physical therapy and the PT thinks much the same. She's not expecting burning down the legs and arms from this.

Of course, no one ever deliberately imaged my lumbar, either. Generally I don't feel much there (except old stuff I've been aware of for years), so no one has focused on it.

I see my oncologist tomorrow and will also keep harassing my gastro about these issues. But, I think it's good to try some PT in case my back really is messing with me.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I was going to say “can’t hurt”...but, I’ve found, sometimes with PT and spinal issues, sometimes people do end up worse off! Not often...but it does happen. Hopefully, your PT will be able to assess whether your pain might be coming from a structural issue with the spine.

Might you have pulled a muscle mid back at some point?

Old 01-16-2019, 08:15 AM   #5
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

True, I guess things could get worse. But that's why we're supposed to give feedback. Indeed, she knows that if e.g. a doc came back and stated "your liver's really bad", PT could stop completely.

During our consultation she also stated (as I have secretly thought) that it may be I started with gastro problems, and somehow that toilet-paper twisting caused the next issue (back). Meaning 2 issues overlapping. With my luck, it wouldn't surprise me.

My onc still needs to see the latest blood results (my quickie CBC were fine again), but she's also seen last month's to compare it. She wants me to continue without Tamoxifen for another month and see how that goes (as well as what the gastro GE says).

So we still don't really have answers.

Oh and BTW, my feet have been killing me, definitely since last of Sept. I've never had it like this but podiatrist just said "your plantar fasciitis", which I still have serious doubts. I'm wondering if it ties in with the spine.

Reply Reply