It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Can Costochondritis be on the right side?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #1
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

smokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB User
    Can Costochondritis be on the right side?

I know they say Costochondritis is usually on the left side, but has anyone experienced it on the right side only? My chiropractor said he thought I was dealing with that or something called intercostal myagia and intercostal Neuralgia...anyone had to deal with that? If so, what problems do you have any what do you do for it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Can Costochondritis be on the right side?

What the chiro is referring to is a muscle strain...when a muscle stretches, pulls, or is partially torn. It can be extremely painful and cause chest pain as well. It can occur with something as non-memorable as a sneeze! If it is neuralgia, is is nerve pain which might be more difficult to heal. It can be caused by an injury to the nerve that occurs during surgery, or it can be caused by inflammation, infection, or injury.

Costochondritis can be on right side but is almost always located on left side.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

smokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB User

Thank you. I don't know how he came up with that because I haven't had an MRI or anything. I did take a fall last summer but I wouldn't think it would show up just now. I deal with that and neck pain or maybe neck arthritis. Does massage help that do you think?

Old 01-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Costochondritis is usually “diagnosed” by eliminating all the other possibilities...nothing concrete like a test or diagnostic imaging.

Do you have luck with a heating pad or alternating heat and ice?

Massage “can” be helpful but it depends on what is causing the pain. It is more useful for issues involving muscles and soft tissue...not so much for arthritis.

Reply Reply