It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Need to get 4 screws removed ...

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
    zee703
    (female)

zee703 HB User
    Need to get 4 screws removed ...

I had spinal stenosis surgery last June on my lower back. All went well and I was recuperating during the summer. In the fall, I started getting sharp pains around the incision area. I suspected it was the screws, that maybe my body can't tolerate metal. Went to P.T., didn't help. Had pain shots, didn't help much (plus you can't have more than 3 a year). Finally my orthopedic surgeon agreed to remove them (next month). Has anyone else had this problem? They won't give me any real painkiller prescription because they don't want me to take them following surgery and not have them help with pain. So in the meantime I'm taking 2 Advil a day that really don't help much. I also use Biofreeze and the odorless Bengay. Plus I'm dealing with a muscle spasm in my butt that won't quit. I'm sick of hurting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Need to get 4 screws removed ...

Do you have any confirmation that the screws are the cause of your pain? Usually if hardware is the source of pain it is because a screw or rod is pressing on a nerve. The metal is inert and isnít supposed to cause any sort of interaction that would cause an allergic reaction...but, as with anything, I suppose it can happen!

Where is the pain located? Is it constant or positional? Do you have it all the time?

Old 03-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
    zee703
    (female)

zee703 HB User

I had an MRI, ordered by the neurosurgeon, last fall and it showed one of the 4 screws was sticking out a bit. He wasn't that concerned nor was the orthopedic surgeon (they both did the surgery last June). I have no confirmation that the screw is the cause but I'm suspicious because last fall it was sticking out and was one of the screws on the right side of the incision (and that's where the pain is and it radiates outward to the side). Now that the shots have worn off, the pain is all the time. They gave me a Rx for Tylenol 3 as I can no longer take Advil (surgery is 4/4/19) and it helps take the edge off so that I'm not limping around and groaning! Thanks for your reply and sorry I haven't been back here sooner.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Good luck with the surgery. I hope it resolves your pain issues!

Please come back and let us know how you are doing!

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    zee703 (04-21-2019)
    Old 04-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

How did the surgery go? Hope it wasnít as bad as you were anticipating!

Old 04-20-2019, 07:35 PM   #6
    zee703
    (female)

zee703 HB User

The surgery went well and I went home the next afternoon. The surgeon's PA came in the next morning & said there was some type of liquid in that area and they could see irritation. So it was good that I had them removed. She suggested I get allergy tested (to see if I'm allergic to metal--hah! kinda late for that, right?) Thanks for the kind posts!!

The Following User Says Thank You to zee703 For This Useful Post:
    esker (04-21-2019)
    Old 04-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #7
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

And how are you feeling now? Did it take care of your symptoms?

Old 04-26-2019, 03:21 PM   #8
    zee703
    (female)

zee703 HB User

Well, I'm still sore in the incision area. But I've got pain when I walk. The surgeon thinks it might be a tendon issue. Had stitches removed today (all looks good he said). He'll see me in 3 wks, learn how i'm doing, and figure out which way to go re: the pain when walking. Physical therapy will be ordered about that time. He checked my flexibility (moved my knee right and left) so it probably isn't the hip (shudder!) but he's not positive about *that* either. Thanks for asking, teteri66 :>)

Old 04-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #9
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

When you say pain when you walk, where is it located? Do you have it any other time?

Old 05-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #10
    zee703
    (female)

zee703 HB User

The pain is in the right buttock, sometimes in the right side of my right thigh, sometimes in the groin area. It seems to move around. That's on top of the incision area that aches badly when I'm standing. I hope this gets better cause 2 operations in less than a year was not fun. Some progress though: 2 weeks ago I was able to walk around a supermarket w/o wincing and wanting to curse. Thanks for asking, teteri66,

Old 05-13-2019, 09:50 PM   #11
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Where was the original fusion...L4-5?

Old 05-17-2019, 05:12 AM   #12
    zee703
    (female)

zee703 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5494648]Where was the original fusion...L4-5?[/QUOTE]

Yes. And, I'm seeing the orthopedic surgeon this morning for my 2nd follow-up. I wish he believed in those Lidocaine patches but he doesn't (I think they help a little). Someone said they sell medicated patches at Costco but they're not as medicated as what you can get from a pain center.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #13
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

What did your surgeon have to say today?

Is your pain that localized that a patch helps?

Old 05-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #14
    zee703
    (female)

zee703 HB User

He gave me a Rx for medicated patches but when I checked the price at the pharmacy, it was quite expensive. He also doesn't believe in them. I'm now stretching which might be helping a little (pulling one knee up to chest, then the other, etc) which was recommended by the surgeon's PA.

Reply Reply