It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• low back pain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-31-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

smokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB User
    low back pain

I have had low back pain/stiffness since 2010. Some days the pain is worse than others but the pain or stiffness (whichever it is) is always there. Seems like everything I read leads to short term back pain.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-13-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2019, 11:33 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    re: low back pain

I've had low back pain since 1971. I fell a lot on the ice on my tailbone when I was a kid, but not saying that was the only reason. I do have degeneration and other issues as per my last MRI.

Have you been checked for ankylosing spondylitis?
    Have you had an MRI of yiur lower back?

q

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
    Amyjose (04-04-2019)
    Old 04-01-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Spinal arthritis tends to become a problem as we age. Perhaps that is causing some of your discomfort and stiffness.

The following user gives a hug of support to teteri66:
    Amyjose (04-04-2019)
    Old 04-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

smokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB User

Yes, I had an MRI 12 years ago...it said that I had extreme dryness at L3, L4-5, narrowing disc space at L5-S1, a bulge at L3-4, tears at L4-5, annular bulging at C5-6, narrowing at the cervical spinal canal.
    I've had the low back pain for a long time...it just seems to really bother me some days. Now I have neck and shoulder pain (right side only) that seems to travel around to the pectoralis area and that seems to be hurting way more than it used to. I have been post menopause for not quite 3 years (if that has anything to do with it) I hate pain pills and I just want to know if this will get any better?�� I did take a nasty fall about 3 years ago but wouldn't think it would give me problems now?

Old 04-01-2019, 07:10 PM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

You might find it helpful to go to some sort of doctor to get referred for a course of physical therapy. The problem with back pain is that it causes changes in structural alignment of the spine, results in changes to posture, gait, leads to over compensation of one muscle group over another, etc. One “bad habit” tends to bring on other bad habits and before you know it, your back is really out of whack. It affects muscles and soft tissue and can really pull you out of position.

You may be compensating for pain, and causing new problems as a result. It can be helpful to go to a professional who can assess things like structural alignment and give you exercises to return you to good balance and alignment.

Changes in hormones can definitely affect pain levels and how your body responds in general...so being post menapausal has probably not helped!

Old 04-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Also, twelve years is a lifetime in terms of spinal changes. You can assume the discs have continued to dry out and that the other issues you mentioned have not improved! The spine degenerates as we age from wear and tear and the forces of gravity bearing down on the spinal column as we wander around on two feet!

Reply Reply