It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Generic Physical Therapy for Disk Degeneration

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-05-2019, 05:51 AM   #1
    Tori41
    (female)

Tori41 HB UserTori41 HB User
    Generic Physical Therapy for Disk Degeneration

Hello:
    I REALLY appreciate the responses I received my previous post, 'Physical Therapy for Lower Back Pain.'

I, now decided for Physical Therapy rather than Injection which makes me a bit scared due to my age, over 70 years old.

When I called several, reputable Physical Therapy nearby, one or two PT told me NOT accept Medicare, BCBS.
    Only one of fairly reputable PT accepts my Insurance, Medicare and BCBS.

Knowing all PT do not accept Medicare, is there any difference between PT for younger generation and older generation? I do not end up 'mixed-up Physical Therapy.'

Your opinions would be truly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Talking Re: Generic Physical Therapy for Disk Degeneration

Dear Tori,

I am quickly advancing on age 70, myself.
    Plus due to injuries from a serious accident when quite young I have some deformed limbs. I think you made a good decision that will benefit you in the long run.

Exercise is what makes the calcium we ingest get into our bones. I have to say that I also would choose therapy over an injection. That is just my own preference. But one time I did get an injection for a knee issue and never again got pain there. So I cannot say it has no purpose!

You can rest assured that any PT group that accepts Medicare insurance understands what type of PT to provide to elderly patients. Just communicate if something causes actual pain. By that I am not referring to the little pain stretching can cause. If you get a sharp, stabbing pain, say so. That is how therapy will get adjusted to your capability.
    Sometimes what it takes to relieve pain is just a little massage or heat therapy. Therapists know what to do. So talk with them if you have any concerns.

But also push yourself beyond your comfort level. It isn't reasonable to expect 'no' discomfort.
    Exercising after years of little exercise can cause some aching. We have overthecounter pain relief for that.

Doing this will help you stay active and feeling your best.
    No reason to be afraid, hon.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Generic Physical Therapy for Disk Degeneration

Every PT facility I've ever heard of is individual treatment. Your doc sends a scrip to the facilty along with the dx. The first time you go they set a treatment plan for you and run you thru it. Then you go every how many times the doc says and do the exercises at home as given to you by the PT. It's not a group exercise place.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:31 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

There is no difference; choose a PT facility which accepts your insurance and on your first visit, they will create an individualized care plan for your issues... if you are not happy with the therapist, you can request a different one- but you will usually see the therapy lead for the first visit and then any therapist can assist you with ongoing exercises. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2019, 05:30 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Be sure your insurance doesn't require a scrip. I have BCBS Blue Advantage Medicare plan and it requires my doctor to do a prescription. I chose the facility(a friend is the lead PT there and I wanted her to set my plan).

Also you can call your insurance company and they can give you a list of in network facilities.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

This is a bit off topic...but I wanted to add that while physical therapy should be appropriate for the issue rather than for the age of the person, there is a great deal of difference between the quality of treatment when it comes to issues of the neck and back. So many PTs have very limited knowledge and tend to use the same basic exercises that you can find on just about any website when searching for “back pain.” They do not have the experience to zero in on a particular patient’s issues and customize a plan. Also they tend to have the patient moving an entire limb rather than learning to isolate individual muscles. It is very difficult to find a therapist who can provide a treatment plan that is truly helpful to the patient.

Also, people tend to do the exercises while in PT but then do not continue once the course of treatment ends. They gradually stop the exercises and all the bad habits return.

Reply Reply