It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Upper Back Tightness Restricting Breathing?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #1
    kec1944
    (female)

kec1944 HB User
    Upper Back Tightness Restricting Breathing?

Hi All, for the past 2 weeks my upper back has been very tight. I feel as if it's restricting my breathing; I am able to breathe, but I feel like it's more "labored" than before. I went to a massage therapist and a chiropractor, who both said that I have a lot of trigger points between my shoulder blades. Both worked on me but I haven't felt any relief. Is this something that will just take time to go away? Anyone else have a similar ailment? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Upper Back Tightness Restricting Breathing?

The upper back is where many of us carry a lot of stress and tension. Are you aware of anything going on in your life recently that might account for an increase in stress? When you say “upper back” I am assuming you are referring to the area across the shoulder blades?

If it is wrapping around to the front into the ribcage, you might be dealing with something like costochondritis. Does it hurt under the breastbone?

I can offer the following exercise which is good for the spine in general. It is a natural form of traction that helps to unload the discs and improve structural alignment.

Lie on a flat, firm surface like a carpeted floor, on your back, knees bent, feet flat on floor. Place arms close to sides, palms facing up to the ceiling. Now relax and breathe deeply from the belly (so you can see it rise and fall). Breathe like this for 2-5 minutes....

I try to do this twice a day, when I get up and before going to bed. I have been known to find a quiet corner in an airport and do it when my sciatic pain is acting up...but it relaxes the whole length of the spine!

Reply Reply