It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• POST OP Microdiscectomy MRI results PLEASE HELP UNDERSTAND

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #1
    jdanotherday
    (male)

jdanotherday HB User
    Unhappy POST OP Microdiscectomy MRI results PLEASE HELP UNDERSTAND

I am still having a tremendous amount of leg pain(burning, shooting pain, and numbness. all goes down the back of leg and calve and radiates to the outside of foot and into toes... im just so confused...is something wrong? did I mess up? where do I go from here? what are my options? will I get better? is foraminal narrowing a form of stenosis??

Result Code: ABNORMALITY, ATTN. NEEDED

Report:

MRI of lumbar with and without contrast

Comparison: MRI of the lumbar spine dated 02 JAN 19

Findings:
    L2-L3: Disc Desiccation and mnild height loss. Small broad-based disc bulge. No significant facet arthropathy. No spinal canal or significant neural foraminal narrowing.

L4-L5: Mild disc desiccation and height loss. Broad-based disc bulge with central, left paracentral disc protrusion. The disc touches the left L5 nerve root in the lateral recess. Overall, no significant spinal canal narrowing. Mild bilateral left greater than right neural foraminal narrowing. Left laminotomy site changes. Post Contrast enhancement is noted within the laminotomy site and posterior soft tissues as well as surrounding the left :5 nerve root in the lateral recess. There is also enhancement of the L5 nerve root above this level.

L5-S1: Disc desiccation and height loss with small broad-based disc bulge. Central, left paracentral disc protrusion which touches the left S1 nerve root iin the lateral recess without significant impingement. Overall, no significant spinal canal with mild caudal neural foraminal narrowing, left greater than right. Left laminotomy changes with enhancement within the surgical bed. There is some enhancement around the left S1 nerve root in the lateral recess.

IMPRESSION:
    1. Interval new left L4-L5 and L5-S1 laminotomy changes with postcontrast enhancement within the surgical site and extending to the lateral recesses. This is most significant at the L4-L-5 surrounding the L5 nerve root consistent with granulation tissue. There is also abnormal enhancement of the L5 nerve root above this level suggestive of nerve root inflammation.

2. Residual central, left paracentral disc protrusions at L4-L5 and L5-S1 with some impingement upon the left L5 and S1 Nerve roots. No significant spinal canal narrowing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: POST OP Microdiscectomy MRI results PLEASE HELP UNDERSTAND

Welcome to the board. When was your surgery? What level or levels were included?

Are these symptoms new or similar to what you were experiencing prior to surgery?

Foraminal narrowing is stenosis...located in a foraminal opening, which is an opening located at each vertebral segment that allows a spinal nerve to exit the central canal to go out to the area of the body it innervates.

After I know when you had surgery, I will try to comment further.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #3
    jdanotherday
    (male)

jdanotherday HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5494763]Welcome to the board. When was your surgery? What level or levels were included?

Are these symptoms new or similar to what you were experiencing prior to surgery?

Foraminal narrowing is stenosis...located in a foraminal opening, which is an opening located at each vertebral segment that allows a spinal nerve to exit the central canal to go out to the area of the body it innervates.

After I know when you had surgery, I will try to comment further.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reply, I had my surgery 04 APRIL 2019 just last month. The symptoms are the same if not a little worse now. My previous MRI said nothing about stenosis. And now my new one does. This is all foreign to me Iím not educated about medical stuff so idk what I should be worried about.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Don’t fret. We were all mostly ignorant about all things spinal prior to our first spinal surgeries! I remember asking lots of questions on this board 15 years ago when I had my first bouts with sciatic pain! You will learn...assuming you are interested and willing!

First of all, you are early in your recovery. My best advice is to be patient and to accept the fact that recovery from spine surgery is a lengthy process...much longer than any surgeon states!

It is fairly normal to have residual pain for many months post surgery as the spinal nerves do not like to be disturbed. Recovering from spine surgery is not very similar to recovery from other surgeries where they go in and remove something...and you are left with surgical pain, but once that is healed, you are more-or-less back to normal.

With spine surgery, it is more complicated. The nerves are so extremely sensitive that any amount of inflammation can have an impact. If the surgeon had to tug on a nerve or move it during surgery, things are worse! Due to this alone, it is not unusual for a patient to awaken from surgery with new nerve pain that was not present before. They are often told it takes around 8 weeks for this to resolve...but after my last surgery when this happened, it was closer to a year! To make matters worse, it was nerve pain I had never experienced prior to surgery!

I would think your surgeon may want to give you a dose of prednisone or similar (like a Medrol pack) to help with the inflammation which is pressing up against a spinal nerve. This is a fairly standard occurence after surgery.

Tip: It is VERY important that you take small walks often...may times per day, especially in the first twelve weeks post surgery. This is the best way to keep scar tissue from attaching to a spinal nerve. Scar tissue formation is a natural part of healing. Walking is the best exercise to gently stretch out the spinal nerves so that scar tissue doesn’t have an opportunity to attach to a nerve. It mostly forms during the first 12 weeks post surgery...so now is not the time to sit in a recliner or stay in bed! You don’t need to walk far, long distances or fast...I had my first spine surgery in January in the frozen north...so all I could do was walk back and forth in a hallway in my house...boring, but enough...but, if I awoke during the night, I got up and walked back and forth for five minutes.

At this point, you are not walking to build up endurance, for aerobic exercise, etc., it is simply to provide a way to stretch out the nerves a bit...and to get the blood flowing in a gentle way.

If you want, I can go into your MRI a bit...but it will have to wait till tomorrow!

Reply Reply