It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Neck pain with spasms and mri results

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
    cport1127
    (female)

cport1127 HB User
    Neck pain with spasms and mri results

I have been having terrible neck pain with spasms so painful I canít move until they stop. Certain movements even hurt. I had a mri earlier this year but clinic didnít say much about it. If anyone here can tell me about it please let me know. Thanks in advance. Cecilia P., Houston

Inter body fusion at C5-C6 with reversal of the cervical lordosis at this level.

Spondylosis above and below the levels of fusion.

Left-sided facet arthropathy at C3-C4.

The thing is the pain is on the right side of neck. In 1997 I had a left side cervical rib removal due to TOS. Because of this surgery I now have winging of the scapula. Oh and in 1995 I did have a fusion C5-C6. Scoliosis diagnosed at age 10 so left shoulder is higher than the right.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Neck pain with spasms and mri results

Welcome to the board.

The MRI report is brief and not very informative. It indicates there is generalized wear and tear/ spinal arthritis above and below the level of fusion.

In addition, at C3-4, the facet joint on the left side appears to show signs of degenerative arthritis. These are the types of things that develop as we age. They can be painful.

While it would seem from your history your pain should present on the left side, sometimes due to muscle and soft tissue imbalances and due to the body’s natural tendency to compensate for an imbalance, the right side can be affected by what is going on with the left side...if that makes any sense.

Perhaps someone who does structural body work or a good chiropractor could evaluate your posture and structural alignment and advise you on a of treatment.

You don’t say how long this particular pain and spasms have been going on. It is possible that the facet arthropathy has become worse since your last MRI and it is now causing more symptoms. Neck spasms can occur due to the development of bone spurs that form as a reaction to facet arthropathy. As the joint’s protective cartilage wears thin, it allows the adjacent vertebrae to rub together. Osteophytes form as the body’s attempt to stabilize the joint and to minimize this grinding together. This can cause nerve compression and can be a cause of muscle spasms.

Reply Reply