It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Mid/Upper Back Pain extending to shoulders and arms - Help!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
    KarateKid1984
    (male)

KarateKid1984 HB User
    Mid/Upper Back Pain extending to shoulders and arms - Help!

Hey All,

I'm really at my wits end here as I just don't know what I'm experiencing.

It all started in January. I sleep with my arms above my head and I noticed some pain, almost a stretching pain, in my biceps. This carried on until February. In March I started to get sore necks, and then in late April the pain really set in.

I have a pretty sore spot just a little above my mid-back, and to the right of my spine (maybe an inch off my actual spine). It feels like someone is poking me pretty hard. In addition to this, I have pain running across the tops of my shoulders and down my arms to my biceps.

This isn't going away, and it's freaking me out. I had an x-ray done, but it showed everything was fine. I've been going to physical therapy for about a month now and sometimes it helps, but then the pain keeps coming back. I've seen my doctor twice now and I believe she's scheduling me for an MRI but I've not been called about that yet.

When I look online, the only thing I can see that matches my symptoms closely is that I've done something to my C5.

Based on what i've written, does anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I feel totally alone in this issue and it really sucks (plus it's pretty scary).

For reference, I'm 38 years old and in average shape, a non-smoker, and a non-drinker.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Mid/Upper Back Pain extending to shoulders and arms - Help!

Welcome to the board. Sorry no one responded to you! I donít mean to come off as nasty but have you tried sleeping in a different position? Iíve had four lumbar spine surgeries and am fused from L3-S1 and I am increasingly finding how much posture, structural alignment, etc. has to do with cause and effect of spinal issues.

Also, physical therapy is a real crap shoot. You may get lucky and get a therapist who has experience with spinal issues...but for the most part, they work from a ďone size fits allĒ perspective, dealing with trends that are 30 years old. It is difficult to find one that will actually help you to resolve your issues.

From your description, I cannot tell what is going on...but I would be very cautious moving forward considering it a spinal issue.

You might want to try something like Pilates in a one-on-one teaching situation with an experienced provider...or something similar...someone who really understands movement and structural alignment.

Also, try this for a few weeks. It is a form of natural traction that serves to unload the discs and helps to relax the spinal muscles and soft tissue, fascia, etc.

Lie on a firm surface like a carpeted floor...on your back, in a straight line, with knees bent and feet flat on floor. Place arms close to sides, palms facing upward, close to sides...now, relax, and breathe from your tummy...so you can see it rising and falling....keep breathing for about 2-5 minutes.

Thatís it. Do this morning and night, if possible. It will help you!

Reply Reply