It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 1 Year Post-op L4-L5 Fusion Right Foot Drop

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #1
    crazylisa
    (female)

crazylisa HB User
    1 Year Post-op L4-L5 Fusion Right Foot Drop EMG/NCV Results?

I did not have foot drop prior to fusion only numbness and weakness in right shine ankle area!

EMG/NCV Study States: The patient has 0/5 function of the right anterior tibialis. She does have some dorsiflexion of the extensor
    digitorum and extensor hallucis longus. (1+/5). She is unable to walk on her heels, but can walk on her toes. She
    has good function of her quadriceps, peroneus longus and gastrocnemius.

The patient has active motor denervation in the right L4-5 myotone. There is no detectable denervation in the
    quadriceps or gastrocnemius/peroneus longus. There were no motor units in the right anterior tibialis. The
    extensor digitorum longus exhibited a moderately decreased interference pattern with enlarged motor units
    indicative of distal sprouting and reinnervation. The lumbar paraspinals were not examined secondary to the
    previous surgery. Normal motor and sensory conduction velocity studies were noted in the peroneal and tibial
    nerves.

Will this heal or is the never that lifts the right foot damaged beyond repair? Any and all feedback welcome.

Thank you,

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2019, 07:02 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: 1 Year Post-op L4-L5 Fusion Right Foot Drop

Rather than reading this report, please answer the following questions:

How long ago was your fusion? (I see one year...is that accurate?). Was this your first spine surgery?

Did you have foot drop upon awakening from surgery? What therapies have you tried since? Any acupuncture?

Old 07-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

What I have learned about nerve damage after four lumbar surgeries, including two fusions, is to not believe most of what doctors tell you...

And you will probably need to seek help from someone outside the western medical community to aid your recovery.

Was a spinal nerve damaged during surgery, or did something unexpected occur?

Old 07-25-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
    crazylisa
    (female)

crazylisa HB User

Hello teteri66

I have had spine issues since 2002. I have DDD stenosis lumbar scoliosis and nerve issues. I had a discosectomey in 2014 for a ruptured disc at l4-l5 since then my right shin has been numb and around inside of ankle. The foot drop was there when I woke up from my L4-L5 fusion on 4/24/2018. I have done 3 rounds of PT for this foot back issue this included aquatic therapy. With my shine having no muscle response I am concerned that this foot issue will continue to worsen. I am waiting to hear back from my nero in regards to the EMG findings. The MRI showed no issue with nerve impingement according to him, I have also done massage. My nero did tell me that my L4 root was completely crushed when he did the fusion. He also stated they could not insert the cage as he was concerned he would cause nerve damage as he stated there was no room to stretch the nerves. Thank you for the response!!!

Lisa

Old 07-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You have me beat by two years! I started with sciatic pain in 2004...have had 4 surgeries and am fused first at L4-5 and then from L3-S1. My feet are both numb and I have lots of L5 nerve damage.

It may be that your nerve is damaged beyond rejuvenation...but it doesn’t mean you have to give up.

If you don’t have further spine issues, it may be that an alternate therapy will help with the drop foot. For example, my feet have been increasingly numb, beginning about 2000. Doctors cannot agree if I have peripheral neuropathy, or whether it has been directly related to my spinal issues....

I just recently started a private Pilates class, working with a very experienced teacher that understands my medical history...and unbelievably, after five classes, I am feeling sensations, etc. in my feet that I haven’t felt for years. I also am a big believer in acupuncture...but it has to be with the right practitioner. Again, there are many out there who will not be helpful and just take your money.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    crazylisa (07-26-2019)
    Old 07-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
    crazylisa
    (female)

crazylisa HB User

I am all about alternative treatment just hoping there is a solution and it does not get worse.... My 8 year old requires a lot of physical activity hahah

Old 07-29-2019, 08:55 PM   #7
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Just so you know, mine was getting worse and worse...right up until I started the Pilates sessions a couple weeks ago. I do think it is good to be proactive and the more you can move, the better! Well, within reason. Some people exhibit NO common sense and really cause some problems for themselves. But for joints...”motion is the lotion.”

Old 07-29-2019, 09:03 PM   #8
    crazylisa
    (female)

crazylisa HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5496174]Just so you know, mine was getting worse and worse...right up until I started the Pilates sessions a couple weeks ago. I do think it is good to be proactive and the more you can move, the better! Well, within reason. Some people exhibit NO common sense and really cause some problems for themselves. But for joints...”motion is the lotion.”[/QUOTE]

Thank you!!

Old 07-31-2019, 05:18 AM   #9
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Have you tried acupuncture? It would be important to find some practioner who customizes treatment to your particular issue...where treatment is adjusted before each session. This is usually a single practioner who runs his/her own business, not a clinic or a medical physician who also does some acupuncture or a PT who does dry needling.

Reply Reply