It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• MRI results

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #1
    Debs1963
    (female)

Debs1963 HB User
    MRI results

Hi

I recently sent to the hospital for my mri reports and a cd with the mri imaging on, this was after my consultant decided to discharge me even though I am in huge pain.

The results of my February 2019 mri are are as follows

c5/c6 endplate oedema and vague high signal in disc itself with early discitis.
    c4/c5 narrowing of the right c5 foramen by substantial discosteophyte.
    c5/c6 relative posterior slip.
    c5/c6 bilateral bulging of the disc and compression of the exiting right nerve roots. mild narrowing of the canal. with complete loss of csf space around the cord.
    disc dehydration at all levels .

Upper thoracic scoliosis

L4/L5 posterior disc bulge with an associated annular tear. disc contacts the transiting L% nerve roots. L4 disc contacts the right L4 nerve root.

I have struggle on walking for the last 2 years and have intense pain in my neck upper back and lower back and loss of feeling and grip in both hands most fingers and balance problems.

As I said my consultant has discharged me without telling either myself or my GP of the above mri results in his clinical letter other than to say int the letter that I have no L4/L5 spinal stenosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2019, 06:32 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: MRI results

Your primary physician, if they are who sent you for the MRI, will get a complete report...the pain you are having is probably because your spine appears to be pushing on the nerves in certain areas- having had that pain, I know how horrible it can be.

Have you talked about physical therapy? It can really help to alleviate the pain. I have PT 4 times a week and also got a shot of cortisone in my back- both really have helped quite a bit. I am trying to avoid any type of surgery!

Old 08-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: MRI results

Welcome to the board. I wondered what you have been doing for pain, etc. since posting two weeks ago?

I imagine most of your pain is coming from the lower lumbar issues...annular tears can be very painful as the disk material that leaks out is like a poison when it comes in contact with a nerve. Do you think you have had an issue at L4-5 for two years?

Also, I didn’t notice this the first time I read through your report. The loss of CSF around the spinal cord at C5-6 has the possibility to cause major issues. If the spinal cord is compressed, it too could be causing you pain in your legs, difficulty walking, etc. The report gives no indication of “how much” the spinal nerves are being compressed, the size of the disc bulge, etc., so it is impossible for me to guess just how serious this is. If I were you, I would try to see some sort of spine doctor who could evaluate your MRI as well as your symptoms, and give you an accurate diagnosis.

You can look online for a “dermatome map.” This will help you to understand radiating pain that comes from the spine. It shows which spinal nerves innervate which area of the body.

By your use of the term “consultant,” I am guessing you are not in the US, the medical system I am familiar with. If you were, I would urge you to make an appointment with either a neurosurgeon that specializes in the neck and back or an orthopedic spine surgeon. Your symptoms are serious and, in all likelihood, will not improve on their own. The loss of Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) around the spinal cord, associated with the bulging discs, etc. have the possibility of further damaging the spinal cord. You should find out to what extent this is occurring and what can be done to prevent further deterioration.

Good luck to you!

Reply Reply