It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• MRI results and general pain/depression

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
    Volley31
    (male)

Volley31 HB User
    MRI results and general pain/depression

Good evening,

This is my first post and thank you for any and all information. Please see below for breakdown of my MRI results. Only did thoracic and cervical spine. Highlighting the issues that are pressing. This has also put me in a tail spin of feeling pain in sacroiliac joint, ankle from previous injury and general anxiety and panic attacks. I was told that because it is in multiple areas surgery is not an option. I am here in Canada so it seems they avoid surgery like the plague. I have tried decompression, chiro, acupuncture, starting physio and just did radiofrequency ablation. One side and scheduled to do the other side in three weeks time as well

C-4-c5 - central right paracentral disc osteophyte complex with mild acquired canal narrowing. This abuts the ventral aspect of the cord. Slight right narrowing

C5-c6 - small central disc protrusion

C6-c7 - posterior disc and disc osteophyte complex with mild to moderate narrowing

T5-t6 - disc herniation
    T6-t7 - central disc protrusion indenting the ventral cord
    T7-t8 - small left paracentral disc protrusion
    T10-t11 - small right paracentral disc herniation with annalus fissure
    T11-t12 - minimal disc osteophyte

I am definitely open to surgery I do have some radiating pain down my arm from time to time. I am also considering taking cybalta. Any thoughts on this as well? Many blessings

Craig

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2019, 06:01 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: MRI results and general pain/depression

Welcome to the board. You are right on two points: they do far fewer spine surgeries in Canada than in the US and, they (everywhere)don’t tend to operate on thoracic spine issues unless absolutely necessary. When more levels are involved, that still holds true!

It is difficult to tell from MRI report what is going on! One would need to look at images to see how much the spinal cord is being compressed. That is the significant finding for you!

When the spinal cord is being compressed, pain and symptoms can be felt from the level of compression on down...so legs could go numb or tingly, etc. even though there is compression in cervical or thoracic spine!

Without knowing which level is showing the most compression, it is difficult to say whether surgery at one level or the other might help. You need to keep track of the cord compression...at the cervical level at C4-5. I think where the report says “slight narrowing” without referring to location, it means foramina narrowing. This is stenosis in a foramina ...which is a space located at each vertebral level where the spinal nerve exits the spine to go out to the area of the body it innervates. (Look online for a “dermatome map” which will show which level innervates which area of the body.).

You don’t say how old you are...but you seem to have degenerative disc disease...which is something you can read all about online. Not much can be done about it. I would avoid chiro...if I were you. If you are overweight, it will help to lose weight...get much stronger physically in your core and back and remain active. Don’t get sucked into having many epidural steroid injections as there are many unwanted side effects.

Reply Reply