It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Lumbar fusion

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #1
    (female)

117264 HB User
    Question Lumbar fusion

Having back surgery in the future for grade 1 lumbar anteriolithesis causing spinal stenosis. 3 doctors said laminectomy with different types of fusions. One doctor says olif fusion from the side will put vertebrae back in place and should take care of the spinal stenosis. If it doesnít, then he can do a minutely invasive partial laminectomy later. This doctor is one of the doctors that developed the procedure

Has anyone else had olif surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Lumbar fusion

Welcome to the board. Sorry no one responded to you. I didnít initially because, wile Iíve had two lumbar fusions they were both done posteriorally. I was not familiar with OLIF as it has been developed more recently. However, I did some research....

First what level or levels will be operated on...like L4-5 perhaps?

The best advice I can give you is to really do your research when selecting your surgeon. After deciding to have the surgery at all, this is the most important decision you will make! It sounds like you got several opinions and there is consensus that surgery is required.

Since the surgeon you think you will go to helped develop the procedure, one should be able to assume he has performed it many times and gets good results. That is a plus! It is less invasive than going in from the front or back, but bear in mind, it is still major surgery and there is risk involved.

You can find a study done on rates of complications on this government website from the NCBI.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5900068/

Good luck with your decision! My first fusion was for a spondylolisthesis at L4-5...back in 2008. I am now fused from L3-S1.

Reply Reply