It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• L1-L2/10mm offset

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
    tomthegasman
    (male)

tomthegasman HB User
    L1-L2/10mm offset

Hi, I'm 72 years old and had an MRI done on my back. It showed a 10 mm offset between L1-L2. I've already had 4 fusions done from L2-S1, and am trying to avoid any more. Doctor is warning of problems ahead, including loss of bowel and bladder control if I don't have surgery. Is there anything better these days to correct these types of back problems; i.e., microsurgery with shorter "down" time. Sincere thanks, Tom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: L1-L2 / 10mm offset

By offset, I am guessing you are referring to a spondylolisthesis....which is when one vertebra slips over the top of the adjoining vertebra. It can do this because there is an instability at that segment of the spine. When you look at an X-ray, you will see that the vertebra do not “line up” as they do for a normal healthy spine. It appears like an indentation...or stair step.

Is that correct? If so, depending on whether the segment is still unstable, the only available treatment is fusion.

10mm isn’t a huge amount...but if a nerve is being pinched, it is a problem.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:47 AM   #3
    tomthegasman
    (male)

tomthegasman HB User
    Re: L1-L2/10mm offset

Yes, It is exactly as you describe. The pain is almost the "new normal" now; however, I like to stay active and the severe stiffness(really hard to walk tall) is really depressing. Do this "offsets" ever stabilize themselves, or do they keep moving? Your opinion much appreciated, Tom

Old 10-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
    tomthegasman
    (male)

tomthegasman HB User

Today, doctor injected cortisone cocktail directly at L1-L2 to see if can get some temporary relief. Suggested that I get another MRI in one year to see if that area has stabilized at all. If not, surgery probably only option.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:46 PM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

A year? Wow....you often need the series of three epidural injections to help reduce inflammation, etc. Movement can stop but usually in people our age, the degeneration continues...but perhaps is slowed down!

It is better to have it higher up in lumbar area as you do as that segment doesn’t take the brunt of movement as L4-5 and L5-S1 do.....

If pain becomes too great, you might need surgery....

Old 10-26-2019, 07:56 AM   #6
    tomthegasman
    (male)

tomthegasman HB User

Forgot to mention that, yes, doctor is planning a series of shots, spaced approximately 3 months apart, and then a re-evaluation. I return in a month as he wants to see how things are and determine if next injection needs to be "tweaked". Thanks again

Reply Reply