It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• L5-S1 micro disectomy

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #1
    Tormentor
    (male)

Tormentor HB User
    L5-S1 micro disectomy

Iím a 35 year old male that just had a L5-S1 micro disectomy 11 days ago. The doctor thinks I had herniated it years ago maybe during my college football days, but it wasnít until the last 4-5 months I had excruciating sciatica pain from my buttocks to my toes. I think most of the pain went away after the surgery and I had started walking since 2 hours after my surgery. I even went back to work 2 days later. Now 11 days later, Iíve been taking it easy, no lifting, no real bending or twisting and always wear the back brace. Now my thoughts and concerns are , before the surgery I didnít have any back pain, but now I swear it feels like my disc area aches, but itís not overwhelming. I feel this should go away in time but my leg still feels weird. However the sensation is just below the knee and in the foot now and not the painful feelings I had in my whole leg. I donít know how to describe it, feels like the nerve on the lower leg is going crazy or hypersensitive and I wonder if itís because I did 20 mins on an elliptical the day before. I donít feel normal because the way the lower leg and foot feels but Iím hoping this weird sensation goes away. For instance, before the surgery I would move a certain way and my toes would burn sharply for 10 secs before fading away. Now it seems they burn constantly but itís only noticeable if something touches them and itís not as intense.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2019, 12:45 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: L5-S1 micro disectomy

Welcome to the board. Iím not sure what your surgeon told you regarding recovery...but any spine surgery, regardless of how relatively simple it may seem, can take a long time to heal. You almost always have some new sensations post surgery, sometimes new nerve pain or pain in locations where you never had it previously. This is all very common.

You are still early in your recovery. You probably still have some inflammation from the procedure that could be pressing on a spinal nerve.
    A nerve may have been aggravated during the surgery. Sometimes the surgeon has to tug on it a bit to free it up. In any case, I would urge you to continue to follow the no bending, lifting or twisting and to be patient! You very well may feel weird sensations for three to six months. If you have a desk job, be sure to get up at least once per hour and walk a little bit.

Also, I am really surprised your surgeon has allowed you to use an elliptical trainer so soon after surgery...especially since your issues are at L5-S1. The motion one uses with an elliptical trainer is a shearing motion which is really putting a lot of undo stress on the buttocks and sacral area as you press down with one foot and then the other. Also any movement that is so repetitive, like running on a treadmill, is not a good idea when you are trying to heal. You are much better off going for walks on a level surface, at a reasonable pace.

Keep a positive attitude, stay well-hydrated and be patient! Good luck!

Reply Reply