It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Old injury but ongoing muscular issues

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-05-2019, 02:28 AM   #1
    Znky
    (female)

Znky HB User
    Old injury but ongoing muscular issues

(Back story first sorry for length!) I am 34 and when I was a teenager had two notable injuries with my back from gymnastics (out of practice, backbend at home trying to flip up to feet and went sideways felt my spine click out then in mid/upper. I was maybe 13, was a bit sore but just put up with it. Age 15 I was in a trampoline class and hesitated at top of a jump and crashlanded bellyflopped hands down face went into mat and legs flicked up. I was more affected by lower back, but i probably had whiplash in neck from impact, had bleeding nose. Had an xray to make sure all was ok which read the following:
    Lumbar: moderate thoracolombar scoliosis concave to left thoracolombar junction.
    - Transitional lumbosacral and spinal bifida occulta
    - irregularity of vertebrae body margins anteriorly in midlumbar with associated sclerosis.
    - slight right side up tilt (pelvis)

Now I would say the scoliosis was from the gymnastic mishap but basically I got treated with chiro and physio, I remember the physio pressing on one particular vertebrae by my right shoulder blade trying to realign it. It was so sore and tender and stiffened after that. I still wonder if that was correct treatment. I never got another xray to check if scoliosis was corrected but have had issues with muscle tightness first around that shoulder blade for a few years, then it shifted up to shoulder and neck. On th xray it didn't look really curved it just sort of veered off and came back in.

The past 4 years my left trap and scapula have been tighter than the right, I cannot get it to release. It is visibly shorter than the other, I have a long neck too So quite noticeable.
    I'm fed up with trying to stretch my traps and wondering if any of the above mentioned in xray even though 20 years ago would be the reason for the left one in particular staying tight? My glutes at top by the hip bones are tight, my hamstrings, hip flexors, and anterior pelvic tilt.. but I am active and not in pain it's just honestly muscle tightness frustration and discomfort.

I have gone to a new physio recently for dry needling and he suggested strengthening deep neck flexors to combat the tight back of neck muscles but I am just worried if this is all stemming from the injuries/my vertebrae are not straight is it making muscles behave abnormally & it could be something I can't ever fix?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2019, 05:42 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Old injury but ongoing muscular issues

Have you seen an orthopedic doctor? This would be your best bet in finding out if anything can be done. Find one who specializes in spines..not an orthopedic surgeon; just a doctor for now..he will let you know if anything might work short of surgery.

Reply Reply