It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Sudden severe pain & swelling low back no diagnosis

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #1
    Kasey443
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
    Sudden severe pain & swelling low back no diagnosis

2 years ago I was standing at home doing nothing physically demanding to bring on low back pain suddenly so severe with stiffness that my GF had to take me to the ER. Long story short after X-rays and 3 different medications they finally got it under control. X-rays showed nothing. MRI a week or 2 later showed nothing, yet I could not sit without severe pain coming on. This did not go down my legs, but I could not bend either. I had all the symptoms of a fracture & no treatment for one, it took months to get better. It just happened again a week ago. No answers and no offer of MRI. Iím laying here in pain and very hard to sit again. Does anybody have any ideas of what it could be? Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2019, 05:33 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Sudden severe pain & swelling low back no diagnosis

Could you describe in more detail exactly where pain is located, what the pain feels like, etc.? What type of job do you have? Do you sit a lot? More details will help us be better able to maybe have some suggestions!

Old 11-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi..your issue might be muscular.

Did they check your kidneys and other organs, or just spine? Although, I suspect MRI would have shown other aside from only spine.

Have you had blood testing done?

q

Old 11-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #4
    Kasey443
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

Thank you for your replies. The pain is lumbar above the previous herniation which was L 4-5. This is above that Iím guessing where I learned not long ago is a moderate disc bulge but itís different pain, & doesnít go down my leg. Sharp pain. I have a very long history of back problems, all blood tests are always done, I always recognize muscular problems, this pain started right on my spine in the center, my low back swells so bad they can see it and it feels like Iím laying on a pillow. I have flat back syndrome, stenosis, arthritis in facet joints, and SI joints, and some nerve damage in my back that causes one leg weakness. I canít work, as sitting, standing, walking bending too much causes pain and more problems. The pain that came on is a sharp pain center of back that spreads out to my hips. Last time I had an MRI and doctor said no fracture, etc. A year later my APM doctor tells me I have a moderate bulging disc that area, and was surprised nobody told me, this is above a disc herniation I had surgery on years ago, different disc. This feels like the same pain same area again, I canít figure out why they canít find out what it is. I had every single symptom of a fracture the first time it happened and no diagnosis and couldnít sit without severe pain immediately coming on, and it took months to get better. This time the pain was just as bad, came on just as fast, same treatment, no diagnosis again, so Iím always treated for something theyíre not sure what it is. The swelling only started going down when I asked for steroid course as the stuff in the ER did nothing for swelling. I had months to lay and research what was wrong the first time and the ONLY thing that came up every time, was a fracture, and I read story after story of people who had ones that couldnít sit, and fractures missed for months. Iím just frustrated because i am still having trouble sitting for 5 minutes, same old story with them finding nothing. Thank you for your help

Old 11-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Would you mind saying if you are located in the US?

Also, what is ďAPMĒ doctor?

I still am having trouble trying to identify with what is going on....if steroids help, it is most likely due to some type of inflammation...and the steroid is causing a reduction in swelling, therefore relieving whatever is pressing on a nerve.

Do any activities make it better or worse? Are you able to relieve pain by changing position?

Old 11-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

This could very well be sciatica. This is a pain caused by nerves and it would NOT show up on Xray or MRI. Have you talked to an orthopedic doctor? My husband has almost exactly what you describe and the pain is crippling. He gets injections for it and is able to function 100%.... an orthopedic doctor who specializes in spines would be your best bet.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:13 AM   #7
    Kasey443
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi, thank you for trying to help me. Yes I am in the US. APM is advanced pain management. I have been through every scenario for treatments over the years and ended up there. Its a clinic that specializes in treating pain. This pain comes on no notice same spot right on the center of my spine, and within minutes is debilitating. My girlfriend suggested I go back to Mayo Clinic in Rochester as they are the ones who found the source of my lifetime of problems, my flat back, and Iím sure theyíll be able to find the source of this pain so I can atleast try to prevent it from happening again and also know how to treat it. Thanks for your help. Iím going to make an appointment there.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:26 AM   #8
    Kasey443
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you for your reply. I know what sciatica is as I had that when I had a herniated disc years ago, and surgery on it. This pain doesnít radiate down either leg. I also had the injections.

Reply Reply