It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• mri ?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-08-2020, 09:22 AM   #1
    zzs
    (female)

zzs HB User
    mri ?

I am 52 year old female had back surgery for l5-s1 in 2003 spinal fusion with cages and rods and screws, had an mri done There is 0.5cm anterolisthesis of L4 on L5 and 0.8 cm anterolisthesis of L5 on the sacrum. There are changes of posterior and interbody fusion and bilatera laminectomy ant the lumbosacral junction. Lumbar Veterbrae appear otherwise normally aligned and intact. no significant marrow signal abnormality is appreciated..
    L1-L2Significant disc bulge or protrusion is not seen.facet joining effusions are presentCentral canal and neural foramina are patent
    L2-L3Significant disc bulge or protrusion is not seen.
    facet joining effusions are presentCentral canal and neural foramina are patent
    L3-L4Significant disc bulge or protrusion is not seen.facet joining effusions are present and there is a facet joint effusion on the rightCentral canal and neural foramina are patent

L4-L5Grade 1 Spondylolisthesis and 0.2 cm broad based posterior disc protrusionFacet joint effusions are present and there is ligamentum flavum thickeningThere is mild cicumferential narrowing of the spinal canal. There is moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowinglrecently because of numbness in both calves of my legs and back pain, this is my mri results.
    L5-S1spinal canal is decompressedNeural foramina appear widely patent
    ImpressionMultilevel facet arthropathy and facet joining effusionsGrade 1 spondylolisthesis facet arthropathy, and ligamentum flavum thisckening at L4-L5 with mild centralspinal stenosis and moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.

any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: mri ?

Hello, I see you have been on the board awhile, but this is your first post. I did that too early in when I first began having back/spine issues.

My first surgery was a fusion at L4-5, which eventually led to now being fused from L3 to S1. One of the main consequences of fusion is that it immobilizes a segment of the spine, which puts additional stress on the segment above which is required to carry the brunt of the movement. It causes additional wear and tear of adjoining segments.

The MRI indicates a Grade 1 spondylolisthesis at L4-5. This is where one vertebra slides over the top of the adjacent vertebra. It can lead to instability at this segment, and often causes the adjacent facet joints to enlarge as they attempt to stabilize the segment. This in turn sometimes ends up in either foraminal or central canal narrowing (stenosis), which can cause nerve pain, if nerves become compressed. Grade 1 is the least amount of slippage, on a scale of 1-4.

There is facet arthropathy throughout lumbar spine (“arthritis”) but it is not blocking the foraminal openings or central canal...(patent means open, or OK).

You will need to see your spine surgeon to figure out the best way to proceed from here. At this point, things appear to be still manageable with conservative methods of treatment, or so it seems to me!

Good luck!

Reply Reply