It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• MRI Results.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-11-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
    warmbreeze
    (female)

warmbreeze HB Userwarmbreeze HB User
    MRI Results.

I've have been flat on my back for almost 2 weeks, I'm 64 years old and didn't do anything in particular to cause this, but have had back issues for years. This is the first time it's been this bad. I can only stand or sit for about 30 seconds before I have to lay down. I had a video appt with my Doctor's Nurse Practitioner and based on symptoms she ordered a round of Prednisone, which did nothing. She then ordered an MRI. My pain is in my lower back and extends to left hip area and left buttock. I've never had this kind of pain, nothing touches it, heat, ice, ibuprofen. Norco took a little of the edge off, but not for very long. Here is my MRI. I would love some opinions of what it means. Does it mean I have 2 or 3 bulging disc or 2? How do you un-bulge a disc? Does it just go back to normal? Also what do you make of the treatment plan? I've been doing that for already for 1.5 weeks with only a minute amount of improvement.

Disc bulging at L2-3 and L5-S1 without nerve compress.
    No spinal stenosis or nerve exit narrowing.
    Overall lumbar spine is normal in alignment.
    Cold/Heat compress or muscle relaxant may help the back muscle spasm or tightness.
    Need to be seen in the office if symptom not better.

Study Result
    Impression

IMPRESSION:
    Right foraminal/extra foraminal disc protrusion at L2-3 does not result in nerve compression.

Central disc protrusion at L5-S1 without resulting in spinal stenosis or neural compression.

"REFERENCE:"

Clinical relevance of findings:

The following findings are more likely to be clinically significant:

* Moderate or severe stenosis
    * Disc extrusion
    * Nerve root displacement or compression
    * Grade 2 or higher listhesis

The following findings are less likely to be clinically significant:

* Annular Fissure
    * Disc height loss
    * Mild stenosis
    * Nerve root contact without displacement/compression
    * Grade 1 listhesis
    * Disc dessication
    * Disc bulge
    * Disc protrusion
    * Facet degeneration (any severity)

PROCEDURE: MRI LUMBAR SPINE WO CONTRAST, 5/11/2020 8:17 AM

CLINICAL INDICATION: severe lower back pain for week radiating to buttocks and legs. not
    responding to gabapentin or oral steroids.

COMPARISON: None

TECHNIQUE:
    Sagittal T1-weighted, T2-weighted, and STIR. Axial T1 and T2-weighted.

FINDINGS:
    The lumbar spine is normal in alignment with no evidence for spondylolisthesis or
    spondylolysis. There is normal preservation of marrow fat signal within the visualized
    vertebral bodies. The conus medullaris is normal in signal and morphology and terminates at
    T12-L1.

T12-L1: No spinal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.

L1-2: No spinal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.

L2-3: Disc bulge with right foraminal/extraforaminal disc protrusion. No spinal stenosis or
    nerve compression.

L3-4: No spinal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.

L4-5: No spinal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.

L5-S1: Central disc protrusion without spinal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.

Evaluation of the adjacent soft tissues demonstrates no gross abnormalities.
    Images

Scan on 5/11/2020 8:44 AM

Component Results

There is no component information for this result.
    General Information

Collected on 05/11/2020 9:58 AM

Resulted on 05/11/2020 9:59 AM

Result Status: Final result

Back to the Test

Thank you for any input you can give.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: warmbreeze
    ccc210 (05-12-2020),Machaon (05-12-2020)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2020, 07:21 AM   #2
    ccc210
    (female)

ccc210 HB User
    Re: MRI Results.

I don't have any answers. I am struggling and trying to find them myself, and desperately don't know what Dr I can see or whom will see me since I was in a car accident 5 months ago. I have had them flat out refuse to see me because of that. I have prayed for you. Hugs.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi warmbreeze, sorry that you are suffering so bad with your back pain!

Your hard, bony vertebrae of your spine have softer discs between the bones. You have a bulging disc between your 2nd lumbar spinal vertebrae and your 3rd lumbar spinal vertebrae (L2-L3); and another bulging disc between your 5th lumbar spinal vertebrae and your S1 tailbone (L5-S1).

I don't have any medical education but, if I had to guess, the technician either read the MRI incorrectly, or the doctor misread the findings of the technician. I go by your symptoms and not by the doctor's or technicians interpretation of the MRI. Neither of them found anything pressing on your nerves, but it is OBVIOUS that you have some pressure on nerves, IMHO. Your pain is in your lower back and extends to left hip area and left buttock, but not on the right side of your body. I would have to guess that there is some pressure on the spinal nerves radiating to your left side, but no pressure on nerves radiating to your right side, right? What do you think?

You might consider a second opinion with the best spinal institute covered by your insurance. My wife had a herniated disc at her L4-L5 disc and was in great pain down the sciatic nerve of her leg. Nothing showed up on the MRI. But... they finally went in with micro-surgery and found some fragments, that did not show up on the MRI, pressing on her nerves. They removed the fragments and her pain has been gone ever since.

I am sorry for your painful misery. Hopefully, through your doctors you will be able to get some relief!

Regards, Bob

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You have two bulging discs. I have 2 bulging and 2 desicated in the same area. PT was a God send for me. I strongly encourage you to ask for that. I also took prednisone and it did not help. You might try some yoga as well. I find that child's pose is extremely helpful!

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    rosebud55 (06-18-2020)
    Old 05-26-2020, 10:28 PM   #5
    warmbreeze
    (female)

[QUOTE=ccc210;5503292]I don't have any answers. I am struggling and trying to find them myself, and desperately don't know what Dr I can see or whom will see me since I was in a car accident 5 months ago. I have had them flat out refuse to see me because of that. I have prayed for you. Hugs.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, I sure hope you get some answers. I'm not understanding why they won't see you because you were in a car accident. Does it have to do with insurance?

Old 05-26-2020, 10:47 PM   #6
    warmbreeze
    (female)

Thank you so much for your reply. I actually thought they may have missed something, as I can't imagine this kind of pain with out a suppressed nerve. I've since sent my MRI to a Spine Surgeon and he is recommending a Epidural injection, but he mentioned one into the L-2. I haven't met with him in person yet so I haven't been able to ask him any questions. I've done a little research to see how successful Epidural injections are, and what I read was a bit discouraging, it said that only 50% of people get relief. He also recommended Physical Therapy. I may try that first. I need my life back.

Again thank you so much for your reply.

[QUOTE=Machaon;5503295]Hi warmbreeze, sorry that you are suffering so bad with your back pain!

Your hard, bony vertebrae of your spine have softer discs between the bones. You have a bulging disc between your 2nd lumbar spinal vertebrae and your 3rd lumbar spinal vertebrae (L2-L3); and another bulging disc between your 5th lumbar spinal vertebrae and your S1 tailbone (L5-S1).

I don't have any medical education but, if I had to guess, the technician either read the MRI incorrectly, or the doctor misread the findings of the technician. I go by your symptoms and not by the doctor's or technicians interpretation of the MRI. Neither of them found anything pressing on your nerves, but it is OBVIOUS that you have some pressure on nerves, IMHO. Your pain is in your lower back and extends to left hip area and left buttock, but not on the right side of your body. I would have to guess that there is some pressure on the spinal nerves radiating to your left side, but no pressure on nerves radiating to your right side, right? What do you think?

You might consider a second opinion with the best spinal institute covered by your insurance. My wife had a herniated disc at her L4-L5 disc and was in great pain down the sciatic nerve of her leg. Nothing showed up on the MRI. But... they finally went in with micro-surgery and found some fragments, that did not show up on the MRI, pressing on her nerves. They removed the fragments and her pain has been gone ever since.

I am sorry for your painful misery. Hopefully, through your doctors you will be able to get some relief!

Regards, Bob[/QUOTE]

Old 05-27-2020, 04:34 AM   #7
    DonnaQQ1
    (female)

DonnaQQ1 HB User

[QUOTE=warmbreeze;5503547]I'm sorry, I sure hope you get some answers. I'm not understanding why they won't see you because you were in a car accident. Does it have to do with insurance?[/QUOTE]

it's terrible when it happens! I hope everything goes well

Last edited by DonnaQQ1; 05-27-2020 at 04:35 AM.

Reply Reply