It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Swimming exercises?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
    comeonnow
    Veteran
    (female)

comeonnow HB User
    Swimming exercises?

I have been wondering if I can just lay down on the floor or on my bed to simulate swimming? I was to an orthopedic surgeon a few days ago who told me to do swimming to strengthen my core and help to alleviate my back pain. I don't have access to a swimming pool, and we don't have money to put on in, not even an above-ground one. So I feel like my only option is to lay down and pretend I'm swimming. Would that do it?

I have degenerative disc disease with my L5-S1 disc totally gone and it's bone on bone there for awhile already. I've been using fentanyl patches for close to 10 years, which has been keeping it at bay, but over the past half year it's been feeling really bad. So now not even the fentanyl seems to help all that much. This doctor wants to see me get off of the narcotics and to be honest, the thought of it scares me now. I keep thinking if I'm this bad with using the patch, how extremely bad is it going to get if I totally quit using it?! I just don't know what to do, and the surgeon said that an operation wouldn't help me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2020, 11:20 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Swimming exercises?

My guess is that going through the movements of swimming would not get the same results as swimming in water as the muscles would be supported in different ways and working against gravity in different ways.

You would be better off going to a PT or exercise kinesiologist and having that professional create a program of exercises for you that will strengthen the core and back.

I wonder if a one level fusion or a disc replacement might improve your situation. Did you get more than one opinion? Did you see an orthopedic spine surgeon or a neurosurgeon?

Reply Reply