It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Back/side/rib soreness

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-08-2021, 11:16 AM   #1
    slyguy1
    (male)

slyguy1 HB User
    Back/side/rib soreness

I am 50. I have always had back soreness... going back over 25 years. Sitting at a desk a long time, etc. Over the last 10 months, I have developed a discomfort on back, left side. It is basically a sore spot when pressed a couple inches left of spine about mid back, and sore along bottom few ribs toward side. If I press on those spots I can feel soreness. Otherwise the only time I feel anything at all is when I move in specific ways, sit for a long period of time or sleep on my left side. Rotate trunk 90 deg left or right. Raise left arm and left shoulder to lean right. Other than that I don't feel it at all. It does not seem to have gotten much worse over that time.

I have been trying to figure out what I did this year that may have caused this. I have been physically active. I have done a lot of outdoor work with lifting heavy fence posts... a bunch of moving heavy boxes, etc. I have also been working 100% at home and sitting at a desk all day. With one laptop that I use 50x/day positioned to my left, where I was always leaning my left side and lower rib on the arm of the chair. I changed chairs two months ago and no longer lean on chair arm, but no change. From a lot of reading it seems I have symptoms of slipped rib syndrome... and possibly an issue at the rib/spine joint.

My primary Dr did a kidney ultrasound and chest x-ray and all were normal... and is sending me to a physical therapist. I am thinking I want to see an orthopedic first... to see if I need any other test... I did not see a whole lot of rib pain threads on here... just looking for any feedback from anyone else who has had a similar issue.

Thanks!

Last edited by slyguy1; 01-08-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2021, 05:26 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Back/side/rib soreness

Your doctor could do what the ortho would - spine x ray or MRI of spine. But PT would be probably where the ortho would send you anyway. So I would try a few sessions and see how you do. The therapist can also tell if anything skeletal is going on as well.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:51 AM   #3
    SamCharlos
    (male)

SamCharlos HB User

Don't forget that the attending physician knows what to do. I recommend doing the tests the doctor prescribes, because in any case they will not hurt, and the benefits may arise unexpectedly. Suddenly, some "extra" test will reveal a problem indirectly that may be causing this pain.

Old 07-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #4
    slyguy1
    (male)

slyguy1 HB User

Just wanted to follow-up with my progress, and see if any new insights...

I went to ortho... they did abdominal x-ray, all looked OK. I did about 12 physical therapy sessions. I think they helped a little... but they did not eliminate the soreness/pain. Remember, at it's worst, it is only about a 1 or 2 when I sit a long time, make certain movements, press on back in a certain spot next to spine, or lie on back for a period of time.. and non-existent otherwise. So I think the physical therapy did help slightly... but my main goal is not elimination of pain, since it is not that bad, but instead, confirming what is causing it. So ortho sent me for thoracic MRI. It actually shows two disc "protrusions"... T7/T8 and T8/T9. My understanding is that thoracic disc issues do not usually cause issues are are incidental findings... so I am curious whether the sore spot left side of spine (at that approximate area) and down along ribs and side, and sometimes to front lower abdomen, could be caused directly by the disc protrusions, or possible a muscle reaction to the disc issues creating the pain points and pain with movement?

The pain is not like "nerve pain." About 20 years ago I had an impingement of the nerve that controls sensation on front of thigh, and I recall the shooting pain, hot and cold sensations, numbness, etc. This is nothing like that... it is more like what you would feel during movements with a pulled muscle. Soreness/ache, not shooting.

So, I am trying to decide what my next steps are. I am still not 100% convinced the flank and side pain are related... although I have read that disc pain could radiate along the nerve/ribs, but since it is not shooting pain I feel, I am wondering if back muscles could be responding to the disc issue and creating the tension/ache on movement. The physical therapist did say that she felt muscle tightness at teh spine and down along the ribs where I said the pain is felt.

I really want to find the right Dr who can put this all together for me, and also advise me on what to do about the discs... therapy... exercise... strengthening... watch... avoid x,y,z... surgery... what specialty would be the best? also, I have never had any thoracic injury that I am aware of (a car accident 30 years ago with sudden forward motion before airbags, never any back pain from it, but I doubt this could have been like this for 30 years?)... my upper back has ached for decades after sitting at my job for long periods... but I just attributed that to normal back tension. so I am curios how I could have ended up with this... the pain left of spine has been present at touch for over two years... could the discs have been bulged/protruded for years and over time the muscles reacting to it? Could sitting with hunched back for 30 year at desk caused it? I doubt it, otherwise it seems it would be much more prevalent.

I would appreciate any insights from anyone who may have similar issues.

Thank you!

Reply Reply