It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Medically frustrated

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-10-2021, 07:53 AM   #1
    deesw45
    (male)

deesw45 HB User
    Angry Medically frustrated

I am 48 years old and have suffered from severe lower back pain for over 5 years now. First off let me say that when I was in my mid 20s I had the exact same issue for over a year and no answer could be found but it suddenly resolved itself. Before it did I had x-rays, MRIs, colonoscopies, upper GIs, exploratory surgery where they removed my gall bladder just in case.

Roughly 5 years ago out of nowhere my lower back started hurting. It was a slight nagging dull pain when sitting or laying but became severe after a couple minutes of standing or walking. Soon after that started my wife walked out on me and my father passed away. Then shortly after my mother passed away and my best friend passed away and I lost my home. I began eating from depression I guess and put on about 70 pounds. So now it is getting very hard to do much of anything. I am sitting at about 360 pounds and 6ft tall.

I had 2 MRIs over the past year and they have shown spondylitis, scoliosis, degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis, and a few bulging discs. I have had 2 sets of injections into my spine that had no affect other than causing an unreal amount of pain while getting the injections. I had 1 set of facet injections that had no affect. The odd thing is though that oral steroids actually give about 50 to 70% relief for a very short time. Lyrica actually helped a good bit but I am borderline diabetic and Lyrica was spiking my sugar pretty bad and had a few other side effects I could not deal with. Gabapentin is worthless. I can drink some caffeine in the mornings and be ok but too much caffeine greatly exasperates the pain.

I do not wish to take pain medications. I want to correct the issue enough or help it enough to be able to exercise and lose weight. The bone and joint clinic as well as surgeons seem confident that losing weight is my best option but how do I do that when I can barely walk or exercise?

I will add that I have had issues my entire life with chronic dehydration. I am up at night between 3 and 8 times a night peeing out a river. Have had prostate exams, blood work, urinalysis, been on flomax, to no avail. Am currently drinking about 80 ounces of water a day plus whatever is in my coffee and other drinks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2021, 04:44 PM   #2
    deesw45
    (male)

deesw45 HB User
    Re: Medically frustrated

Anyone with any ideas ?

Old 02-11-2021, 04:29 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I may have missed it but I don't see any reference to PT. Perhaps your weight may have been the reason you didn't do PT?

Old 02-28-2021, 08:45 AM   #4
    jack06410

jack06410 HB User

The only way I've been able to lose weight despite having back problems is through my diet. Two ways worked: first was Keto and the second was a raw vegetable diet. They aren't the easiest to stay on, but you'll drop a lot of weight fast with keto, so it can help you feel motivated.

If you have issues with dehydration, you might want to try either adding a little sea salt to your water or drinking alkaline water. Coffee is acidic so not great for chronic dehydration. The easiest way to make alkaline water (other than buying it) is to add lemon. You can also test your local water with PH test strips or drops (if you have a pool you probably already have the kit) to see how bad it is.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:34 PM   #5
    bumbCrafts
    (female)

bumbCrafts HB User

See if your local hospital has option for water therapy for core strengthing. Mine had a treadmill, that lowered into a therapeutic temperature 'pool', I didn't use the motorized treadmill, but did exercises and it helped immensely, especially with the edema and toe drop.

Reply Reply