It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Sciatica, course of action?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #31
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Sciatica, course of action?

Neuro...whoever works on the Buckeyes!

The following user gives a hug of support to Titchou:
    miniguy (03-22-2021)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2021, 07:54 AM   #32
    miniguy
    (male)

miniguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB User

Awaiting my consult on Thursday, no doubt will be some sort of decompression surgery based upon my MRI. Unfortunately my right leg is now more painful than the left. Pain in the glute down into the leg, aching, sharp pain when walking or trying to walk. Does anyone have success from this type of surgery? I see so many stories on the web, probably should ignore.

This is a very large orth group with about 60 docs in all specialties, in house PT, surgery, MRI etc. with a good reputation. The docs have privileges at the local hospitals and yes even OSU. A number of my friends have had surgeries with them and my wife's hip fracture was done with these guys, so there is some comfort level.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:21 PM   #33
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Surgery is not going to be an option for me. And I would try to avoid it anyway! I think I can get good enough with PT, gym, chiro and maybe an inversion table. Im probably always going to have some tingling and those type issues. If surgery can't take care of everything, why do it? I'm 75...not signing up for any other surgeries unless necessary

Old 03-28-2021, 06:24 PM   #34
    miniguy
    (male)

miniguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB User

I am at the point where I am not able to function because of the pain. I have to walk bent over to free up the trapped nerves in my spine and cannot walk much further than the mail box. If it were just tingling and some minor pain or numbness as I have had for quite awhile I would go on as is, but this is not the case. I think the consult that I have coming up will provide enough information to make a good decision. Thanks

Old 04-01-2021, 11:50 AM   #35
    miniguy
    (male)

As an update, today my wife and I had a consult with the spine surgeon who I chose to discuss my situation. He looked at my records, took a few additional x rays and thoroughly examined and questioned me. We went over the MRI findings at length and in particular the L4-L5 segments, one of which showed severe stenosis, arthritis, or healing of previous damage. This was very evident to all of us. He explained and proposed the standard decompression surgery which would be a single laminectomy performed by removing the top and bottom of the lamina and leaving the center portion in tact and connected. He would clear out this area as well as some foraminal narrowing that might be impinging the nerves. There would be no fusion required and he felt this would be the extent of the surgery needed. We also talked about steroid injections in lieu of surgery, a portion of this process that I have skipped for several reasons. One of which being my initial Orth doc viewing the MRI and stating that he didn't feel injections would be of value in this situation. After much discussion we scheduled surgery for April 12th, this could be as outpatient if done early in the day and no problems arose. I look forward to getting this behind me with a good out come.

Old 04-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #36
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

keep us posted!

Reply Reply