It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Sciatica, course of action?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-20-2021, 07:58 AM   #1
    miniguy
    (male)

miniguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB User
    Sciatica, course of action?

Male, early 70's, fairly fit, distance walker/hiker for years. Over the last couple of months experiencing fairly painful left leg discomfort extending down below knee above calf when walking. Some discomfort in right leg, but mostly transient. There is no back pain. Have had to stop distance walking all together as walking is quite painful. Sitting, reclining, sleeping are not painful, but standing up and walking any distance is, although somewhat relieved by bending forward. Had this about 3 years ago after a minor injury but it went away in a couple of months. This time it seems worse, but I could be wrong. Consulted Ortho doc who took x-rays and did examination, really found nothing all that abnormal for my age. Suggested a lower disc may be pressing on the sciatic nerve and as I bend over the pressure is relieved. Prescribed Gabapentin for pain and wanted me to start prednisone after I get my last covid vaccination. Suggested a steroid injection if needed down the road. Signed up for some PT to see if it might help relax or reposition the disc. I assume this is a reasonable course of action, should I feel reassured that this will clear up eventually as it did previously?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2021, 06:05 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Sciatica, course of action?

That's a very aggressive treatment plan. And it does sound like a disc issue. I'm going thru that as well though I have multiple disc issues along with scoliosis and some stenosis. I think you'll find PT very helpful. be sure to continue doing the exercises they give you at home!

Old 02-21-2021, 01:57 PM   #3
    WhiteLightning
    (male)

WhiteLightning HB User

I've had the shots in my back twice, they worked but the didn't last. I have trouble sleeping as I have to get twisted in the right manor to be pain free. The best thing I have tried successfully was a tens unit. I tried gabapenten, but it did nothing for my pain even when coupled with tramadol. It would give me brain fog, so I quickly stopped taking them.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #4
    miniguy
    (male)

miniguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB User

The Gabapentin is doing nothing other than making me sleepy and I am going to quit taking it after a couple of days. My neighbor is a good friend and my primary doc. and has prescribed prednisone with a tapering dose which was helpful last time I had this for awhile but ultimately stopped working when I finished taking it. However this thing eventually did go away for several years. I have a second covid vaccination coming up so I will start taking it a couple of weeks after that to see if it might be helpful for a bit. I simply would like to be able to walk again without pain for awhile. I am lucky as I can sit or lie down or sleep without pain, it could be worse.
    Thank you for your comments.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:26 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Take the gabapentin at bedtime. My doc put that on the prescription. I must admit that I sleep better than I have in YEARS! Rarely wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Hate that I'm not going to be on it permanently! I'm on 300 mg at this point.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:56 AM   #6
    miniguy
    (male)

I take 300mg. twice a day and can adjust the timing a bit to get closer to bed time. I don't think it has done much for my sciatica, but you are correct it is a good sleeping aid.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:26 AM   #7
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

You could try celebrex plus Robaxacet...

If nothing serious, maybe chiropractic and physio?

q

Reply Reply