It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Continued Pain 4 Months after ACDF Surgery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-05-2021, 10:42 AM   #1
    steele71
    (male)

steele71 HB User
    Continued Pain 4 Months after ACDF Surgery

Good day all. I am looking for feedback on the continued pain in my neck and back after ACDF surgery in February. I have pain every day and any increase of activity causes severe pain within a few hours. I can walk about a mile. If I go longer in a single event, it puts me down. I get a severe headache with pain radiating down my neck through my shoulder blades and shoulders.

After a few visits with the surgeon, he has stated mechanically nothing looks wrong and this is just a part of the healing process. Driving causes the same issues and the pain medication doesn't relieve the level of pain I experience after driving.

I go to Physical Therapy 3 days a week and I make very small steps in progress each week. They too also believe the pain is normal recovery after surgery.

I guess my question comes from my patience with recovery being exhausted. I expected to feel somewhat better by now. I am still out of work because of the driving.

My question is: is this the normal healing process post surgery. I see so many videos online with people recovering much faster. It just seems I should have less pain by now. Please let me know your thoughts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2021, 12:39 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Continued Pain 4 Months after ACDF Surgery

Try to be patient. Spine surgeons do a poor job of a informing their patients of post surgical outcomes. The sad fact is that some recover quickly, some slowly and some continue to have issues. From my experiences after four lumbar spine surgeries, each surgeon says everything looks great and ďnormalĒ and it is a normal part of healing. The they wait a period of time, 6 months to a year and then move patient on to pain management.

Do what you can to follow your surgeonís directions for therapy, give yourself more time than surgeon suggested, donít stress yourself and then maybe try some alternative treatments, bodywork, acupuncture, etc.

Donít press, try to be positive in attitude, and keeping working to be better. Do your own research!

Reply Reply