It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Spinal ddd and stenosis MRI and 1st spinal visit

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #1
    Justme55

Justme55 HB User
    Spinal ddd and stenosis MRI and 1st spinal visit

I am looking for some guidance what to ask and what I should expect at my first appointment. I have been out of work as preschool teacher was experiencing alot hip leg pain which has not subsided and gave researched terminology of MRI enough to understand this is quick fix. I am trying prepare myself what to expect next🙁this is copy of my MRI...

There is mild rotatory scoliosis, convex right in the upper lumbar region. Trace anterolisthesis of L4 on L5, lumbar spine otherwise demonstrates a normal alignment. There is degeneration of all lumbar disks with variable loss of disc space height, most
    pronounced at the L1-to L5-S1 levels. The conus occupies normal location and is normal in appearance.

On parasagittal imaging, there is mild diffuse disc bulge at the T11-12 level with a potential tiny central annular tear. No encroachment on the conus.

At L1-2, diffuse disc bulge with osteophyte formation is present associated with deformity the ventral thecal sac. There is mild bilateral posterior facet hypertrophy. Prominent epidural fat is present within the posterior canal, these factors combine to
    result in a mild-to-moderate degree of canal stenosis at this level. There is mild foraminal encroachment bilaterally.

At L2-3, there is minimal diffuse disc bulge. Mild to moderate bilateral posterior facet hypertrophy with mild ligamentous thickening. Prominent epidural fat in the posterior canals level. There is mild central canal narrowing at this level without frank
    stenosis. Mild foraminal compromise bilaterally.

At L3-4, diffuse disc bulge with osteophyte formation is present associated with deformity of the ventral thecal sac. There is mild to moderate bilateral posterior facet hypertrophy is level with mildly diminished thickening. Prominent epidural fat is
    present within the posterior canal, these factors combine to result in moderately severe canal stenosis at this level. There is also mild to moderate foraminal encroachment bilaterally.

At L4-5, diffuse disc bulge with osteophyte formation is present with minimal posterior disc uncovering. There is moderate bilateral posterior facet hypertrophy with ligamentous thickening at this level. Epidural fat is present within the posterior
    canal, these factors combine to result in mild canal stenosis. There is mild to moderate foraminal encroachment bilaterally at this level.

At L5-S1, diffuse disc bulge with osteophyte formation is present. Spondylotic ridge abuts the ventral thecal sac. No encroachment on the adjacent S1 nerve root sleeves. Moderate posterior facet hypertrophy on the right with milder posterior facet
    hypertrophy on the left. There is a likely some degree encroachment on the right lateral recess at this level, and there is moderate least severe encroachment on the proximal right neural foramen. Minimal foraminal encroachment on the left.

IMPRESSION: Degenerative changes are present throughout the lumbar region, as detailed above. In combination with epidural lipomatosis, this results in moderately severe canal stenosis at the L3-4 level. There is a mild-to-moderate degree of canal
    stenosis at the L1-2 level and mild canal stenosis at L4-5. Multilevel foraminal encroachment is present, worst on the right at L5-S1.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2021, 05:19 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Spinal ddd and stenosis MRI and 1st spinal visit

Are you still on the board? I’m just seeing your message. If you are still reading posts, I would be happy to respond to our questions! Just let me know.

Yo have a detailed MRI report, but don’t let that scare you. You don’t mention your age, but it may be somewhat normal for your peer group!

Old 06-12-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
    Justme55

Justme55 HB User

Yes. I am still on boards. Yes it is quite detailed. Alot to take in. I am 54. I had been teaching preschool until recently .It is quite a disappointing turn events as I am unable keep up with demands and activities of job. I have appointment end June and am trying prepare myself. I have always been very active and feel blindided

Old 06-15-2021, 07:40 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

May I ask if you are in US? Countries treat things differently. Iíve had 4 lumbar spine surgeries in the US. That is my experience!

Old 06-15-2021, 07:47 PM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Your MRI reveals several reasons why you have nerve compression that is causing your pain. Whenever there is spinal stenosis, which is pressure on the spinal canal, which causes various nerve pain, one ends up with sciatica, or various spinal nerve pain that is felt in various body parts/limbs.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:04 PM   #6
    Justme55

Justme55 HB User

I am curious what question to ask in regards to. And perhaps an understanding what appointment might detail.

Last edited by Justme55; 06-15-2021 at 08:04 PM.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:38 AM   #7
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Typically you would do PT first. Maybe meds like a steroid dose pack. A chiropractor might also help. If those do not relieve the issues, then surgery may be in the cards. Since stenosis is involved, I strongly suggest a neurosurgeon.

Reply Reply