It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Laminectomy to Remove Synovial Cyst.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-05-2021, 06:26 AM   #1
    Believer8154
    (female)

Believer8154 HB User
    Laminectomy to Remove Synovial Cyst.

I am a physically active (was) in shape now 67 yr old. A little over 6 months ago I started having problems, which grew greater with each month that ended up with me having a laminectomy to remove cyst this past 8/27/21 with a hurry up and get it done as our major hospital shut down all non-emergency surgeries the next Monday. Due to that I wasn't given much on what I should be feeling post. I go back 9/8 for 1st post visit. My first couple of days of course were a little rough. First evening my big toe and toe right next to it went numb. Prior to surgery I had no affected foot problems, just everywhere else. Late in second day I started having hip & groin pains and some calf pains, but pain not to degree pre surgery, but still sharp. The Dr put me on an anti-inflammatory 6 pack prednisone pack. On first day of pack, I got some tingling feeling in my toes, so good I'm thinking. Still have some feeling there that hopefully will come back, but just thought that came about with messing around those nerve bundles. Have had on and off pains still mostly in hip and calf area whereas I have to really take baby steps and trying to use a cane to put less pressure on leg. I have come extremely far since surgery as the pain areas had become too much for me to bear. It's hard not doing anything, but I want it all gone, just don't know if this is normal and will these pains eventually go away. My surgery itself is going great. Can get up and down with no problem, don't sit long as that certainly is uncomfortable so just basically am down to walking around my house. Am just hoping someone can give me some insight on post feelings before my appointment to reassure me I guess. My original pain started in butt, then groin to hip to calf, then 2 weeks prior to front thigh all on left and cyst was on L5. Any help will be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Laminectomy to Remove Synovial Cyst.

Did they not give you a scrip for gabapentin or some other med for nerve inflammation to take after surgery? That is the norm here.

Old 09-06-2021, 05:35 AM   #3
    Believer8154
    (female)

Believer8154 HB User

Besides the oxy, they put me on a 6 day pack of prednisone for inflammation. just last night I had an issue with my calf pain about an hour after I had gone to bed. Wrapped with ice and took a pain pill. I guess I will find out more at the post op on Thursday and I guess all can differ from one person. Been taking deeper steps holding walking cane in other hand to not put so much pressure on hip, etc. and that seems to help a great deal.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #4
    Believer8154
    (female)

Believer8154 HB User

I appreciate your advice and the Dr. did give Gabapentin prescription. I did not know until post op, but the Dr. fixed my L5 herniated disc and removed the cyst. I am still waking up to ankle pain that I cannot put my foot down right away and eases away around 15-20 minutes to be able to walk and not much pain since taking that pill at night. I still have some burning from ankle and lower calf some during the day, but am taking tramadol as needed. Dr. said just to take it very easy for another 30 days and it will take awhile for nerves to return to a normal. Thanks for your information.

Reply Reply