It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Should I go for microdiscectomy?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-19-2021, 03:08 AM   #1
    Arv12

Arv12 HB User
    Should I go for microdiscectomy?

I am 45..two days ago I had sudden pain and then my left leg had some numbness and muscle weakness. A day earlier, I had done some activity which required some lifting and twisting which I did wrongly.
    Went to an orthopedic who asked me to do MRI..it showed L4-L5 disk herniation and I was referred to a neurosurgeon, who suggested microdiscectomy. We consulted a few more neurosurgeons and all were of the opinion that "emergency surgery" (microdiscectomy) was needed.. one even suggested spinal fusion in addition to discectomy

I am having numbness and weakness and a little pain, possibly mangable but will definitely affect my quality of life . For instance I cannot drive or pick up my 5 month old.

Should I consider spinal surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2021, 10:58 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Should I go for microdiscectomy?

Yes - BUT - you really should do some PT first to see if that will make a difference. In fact,your insurance may require it.

Old 12-19-2021, 01:29 PM   #3
    Arv12

Arv12 HB User

[QUOTE=Titchou;5514290]Yes - BUT - you really should do some PT first to see if that will make a difference. In fact,your insurance may require it.[/QUOTE]

Multiple neurosurgeons (including a family friend) looked at the MRI and said that I should do the surgery immediately or else I risk losing bowel/bladder control and leg paralysis

Old 12-19-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, that was important information for us to know. Then why are you waffling?

Old 12-21-2021, 10:32 AM   #5
    Arv12

Arv12 HB User

[QUOTE=Titchou;5514295]Well, that was important information for us to know. Then why are you waffling?[/QUOTE]
    Just got home after surgery. Seem fine for now. Numbness and weakness still there but pain quite less. Doc says numbness and weakness will last for weeks or months. Pain at incision site is manageable, probably because of heavy medications for the next week

Doc also advised some exercise and lifestyle changes (lose 20 kg) if I want to avoid a second surgery

Last edited by Arv12; 12-21-2021 at 10:33 AM.

Old 12-21-2021, 04:45 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Great news! Keep us posted.

Reply Reply