It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Almost 3 weeks postop laminectomy

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-14-2022, 06:16 PM   #1
    TRXGuru
    (female)

TRXGuru HB User
    Almost 3 weeks postop laminectomy

I had 3 level laminectomy on 4/29/21, L3-S2, spent one night in the hospital. Went home with back brace and narcotic pain pills. Home Health nurse and PT began the following week. I could tell the pain I went in with, right buttocks pain, pain on top of left foot, tingling on bottom of left foot and the feeling like a band was around my toes, but it was not, was immediately gone with the laminectomy. Of course, the surgery trauma and incisional pain was there. I have not bent down or twisted, even have a tempurpedic bed that allows me to sleep in a reclining type of position zero gravity like. They had me walking every day and I have been doing that at my gym that has an upstairs track for safety. The rolling walker was taken away after 7 days. I did have some left quad weakness, but after a week of exercises, it went away and all felt well. Then, one day when I moved around in my bed, about 4 days ago, I felt a little "bump" movement in my spine, but I could not pinpoint it because there was no pain associated with this "feeling of movement". That is the best way I can explain it, like a slight shift. Of course, it has my attention. Was wondering if anyone has any such history. I see my doctor in 5 days for suture removal and I will discuss with him. Other than this one issue, I am very pleased with my outcomes so far. But, I am praying I am not developing spinal instability. I did NOT have fusion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2022, 09:45 PM   #2
    raerae75

raerae75 HB User
    Re: Almost 3 weeks postop laminectomy

Hi there, sorry you are having trouble.
    I had a double laminectomy several years ago. I was doing amazing for awhile and then suddenly one day I had insane pain. It was mostly when I was getting up or down, like say….sitting on the toilet to pee. It was awful.
    My issue was that I was not icing my incision enough. I felt so great I kind of ignored that. Some swelling occurred and started compressing nerves, which sounds a lot like what you are dealing with.
    Start icing in 10-15 increments, many many times during the day. Ask your doc if it’s okay for you to take naproxen or Motrin with your pain meds. I took like a rx strength amount of Motrin.
    It may take a couple days to get that swelling down. Good luck I hope you feel better soon.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:52 AM   #3
    TRXGuru
    (female)

TRXGuru HB User
    Re: Almost 3 weeks postop laminectomy

Thank you for taking the time to share! After my shower today, will ice the area and see if that will relieve any surgical swelling. Of course, that makes sense, the more you move, the more agitation of the surgery trauma with soft tissue swelling which could be putting some pressure to cause the feeling of a shift. Have not felt it today, so far. How is your outcome now years after your surgery? And was it lumbar?

Reply Reply