It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• PLIF Post Operative Leg Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-18-2003, 06:33 PM   #166
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Re: PLIF Post Operative Leg Pain

Dear Christi and Jeanne,

Noosa is 15 hours from Sydney so its a bit too far. We rebooked my ticket so i can go in February to see my grandma who lives there. Now that i think of it i would like to have gone but the flights have been changed.

I've got lots of work to do for upcoming exams for work so its not so bad. The rest of my family is down here so i'll see them.

It's so hot here today. Ridiculous really. Its 35-40 degrees celcius. At the peak of summer it gets to about 45 degrees celcius so i am inside with the airconditioning on 20 degrees celcius.

My back is doing well although my alarm clock went off this morning and i had had a bad nights sleep so i got a shock when it went off and i just flew out of bed - its like an instant reaction so my back was sore and my legs weak (as they commonly are in the morning).

Is leg weakness common? Since my surgery it has been my legs that have been the most unwilling to cooperate. I can move my torso across my bed but my legs really dont cooperate and come along with the rest of my body. I also have trouble getting my legs into the car. My physio did note that they are weaker than what they were. Is this because of the surgical site or where they played with the nerves a bit?

I hope you are both well and getting ready for seeing your families.

Love and hugs
    Brooke

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2003, 08:16 AM   #167
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B][CENTER]Hello Brooke,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]Wow, I didn't realize that Noosa was so far away. That would be a very long car ride for you. I don't think that I would be able to do it. I am happy to hear that you still have family that will remain their for the holiday. I had originally thought that your whole family was going to Noosa and that you would be all alone.

As for the leg weakness I don't know if it common or not. I do know that I experience this. I have much difficulty getting in my car and I always have to get my left leg in with lifting it with my hands. Also when I get dressed and put my pants on I still have to grab my legs with my hand as I cannot hold it up on it's on. When I am examined by my neuro surgeon he note's that my legs are strong and I look at them as if they are idiot's but say nothing. I have always considered myself to be a very strong women both mentally and physically. But when one has to lift her leg with her hands and often drags her other leg behind her, I would think that would be a sign of weakness. I also have not started any sort of therapy as of yet.

I do hope that you spend some time with family this holiday.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER]Hugs to you,[/CENTER][/B]
    [B][CENTER]Jeanne[/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 12-20-2003, 02:01 PM   #168
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Jeanne,

I experience the same weakness with my left leg, i try and get it in the car but often have to pull it. The same goes for getting out of bed, i am always diagonal because my legs just havent wanted to keep up with my torso.

Yesterday i was trying to get out of a parking spot and hit the curb and went over it quite hard. My back has been sore ever since. I am also experiencing what i assume is nerve pain in my right leg again. But this time it's a different pain. It's a pain i would not be able to tolerate if it were constantly popping up. It started late last night when i was moving in bed but hasnt happened whilst im sitting or standing. I am worried that my operative site got quite a jolting and i really hope nothing has gone wrong. How long do you recommend i leave it before seeing a doctor about it? Should i go to my physio or a GP? or call the surgeon? I just dont want to bother anyone if it's nothing, but on the other hand it's better to be safe than sorry.

My brother is driving to Noosa on the 24/12 and coming back of the 19/12. I miss my parents already even though i like being alone. I was considering driving up with him. He said we could stop every 2 hours but the bottom line is he speeds at the best of times and i am scared we would have an accident as he is driving through the night. It would be a 15 hour drive though. What do you think?

Lots of love and hugs
    Brooke

Old 12-20-2003, 07:05 PM   #169
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Jeanne:

I don't worry a whole lot about how big I look when I go outside in the winter time. When it is cold I bet I wear 5 layers of clothing and that is including my coat which is very big. I did that on purpose so that I could wear several layers under it. It is also a downfilled coat which goes down to just above my knees. I really like it. When I got home today I took my thermal underwear off and my turtleneck sweater and put my Christmas sweatshirt back on and you wouldn't believe how baggy it looked without the extra clothing under it.
    Every spring someone tells me how much weight I have lost and I laugh because it isn't weight that I have lost but clothing.

They let me go home early today especially being that I am expecting company. I finished some Christmas shopping and then came home to wrap presents, bake a couple of pies and get ready for tomorrow.

Hope you are doing well.
    Christi

Old 12-20-2003, 07:27 PM   #170
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Brooke:

Wow 15 hour drive. That is a long way. Probably too soon to do that kind of a drive. My first real long trip was at 12 weeks and we definitely had to stop every 2 hours. Sometimes it seemed like I couldn't wait the whole 2 hours but I made myself wait. I survived. I experienced leg weakness also but it is pretty much gone now. I think it is due to lack of using your legs. I walk so much every day that I am sure they are pretty strong now. But prior to my coming back to work they were definitely weak even though I walked 4 times a day.
    I also think time is a major factor. How far are you walking now Brooke?

Jolting still hurts me. It happens to me sometimes but I don't worry as much about it now as I used to. I remember when I used to call my surgeon's office whenever I thought something was wrong. They would tell me to relax, not to worry and just give it time. I know they got tired of hearing from me. The last time I called and left a message on their voice mail it took the doctor 2 weeks to call me back and then he called at home instead of at work like I asked. Needless to say I missed the call.

But you do what you think is right. If you are worried then call them.

Christi

Old 12-21-2003, 03:33 PM   #171
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Christi,

I was really worried about the length of the drive and when im not sure if im doing the right thing i'll always ask mum and dad, so i rang them (even though it was supposed to be a suprise for them). Obviously the were quite angry that i would think of doing that kind of thing. They then called Qantas and booked a flight for me on Christmas eve. I'll go up for 5 days and then i have to return for work. I missed them and my grandmother is quite ill so it's important for me to be there with her.

The pain seems to have subsided from my incident in the car. Thank god for that. I still experience quite a bit of discomfort whilst im in bed. I am hoping that this is normal. I assume it's because i am laying down so all my muscles have relaxed. I'm still not taking pain medication.

To my disappointment i am not walking very much. It's so hot here i just cant do it. I do however go out and about to the shops each day so i use that opportunity to walk but that probably doesnt count. Im hoping when im at Noosa i may go for walks of the beach, of course the only thing im worried about is that i assume it's quite difficult to walk in sand, i'll see how i go.

Love and Hugs
    Brooke

Old 12-22-2003, 07:40 AM   #172
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Red][B][CENTER]Hello Brooke,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]If I remember correctly and please correct me if I am wrong you are know longer wearing your brace. Your back would have been more protected when you had hit that curb. Yes, you probably still would have felt some sort of pain as the brace is not 100% reliable. But if you remember I also had a little bit of an accident in a parking lot and it did protect my back. The only problem was that my neck had suffered for a couple of weeks. My doctor has said that I can stop wearing my brace. But I have only put mine in my closet because if I were to take a longer car trip on the highway I plan on putting it back on to protect me. I don't even want to think of what could happen if I were to get into a serious accident. I am so sorry that you are having pain from this accident. I would suggest telling your surgeon with any pain coming from your back. You can bring this up to your physio when you go for therapy that way he doesn't hurt that area. But it is your surgeon that it treating your back pain and watching your recovery very carefully I hope. Okay, I just went and read the rest of your posts and realized that your pain has subsided and I am very happy for you. I just wish I would have read it before I typed all of this...lol

I am so happy that you will be with your family for Christmas. It looks as if you will have a very good time and you won't be alone. As for the walks on the beach be careful. Please ask other's as I can only speak of my own experience's. My last walk on the beach is what made me decide to have my fusion surgery. I thought that I was going to be taking out on a stretcher. I am afraid to walk on the sand again and I love the beach. Please ask your doctor about this as I don't know if I am over reacting about this or not. I hope that you have a wonderful vacation.[/INDENT][/COLOR]

[B][CENTER] [COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=4]Have a Happy Holiday[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/CENTER][/B]

Old 12-22-2003, 07:55 AM   #173
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Red][B][CENTER]Good Morning Christi,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I also by some of my clothing sizes bigger to wear other layers under them. I think that it is funny when people have said about the weight loss and it was in fact clothing loss, as you had me laughing.

I basically got my shopping done. I did get all dressed up for the theater and even did a little make over on my hair. I never go to the hair saloon as they always either cut to much off and I come home very unhappy. So years ago I started doing hair myself. And would you believe once I started my own I ended up doing all my sister's and friend's. My husband came home from work and was very happy as I haven't been looking to good these day's. Remember the old saying, the better we look, the better we feel. Well, it sure did work for me Saturday night. I felt more young and glamorous until it was time to climb those steps. But I did it..... I spent the day in bed yesterday but it was worth it as I have spent many of days in bed without doing anything. [/INDENT][/COLOR]

[B][CENTER] [COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=4]Have a Happy Holiday[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/CENTER][/B]

Old 12-23-2003, 07:19 PM   #174
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Jeanne:

Good for you! It was worth it after all. Sometimes you have to stretch a little in what you do to be able to do more later on. Yes it is good for you to rest the next day if that if what you needed.

Boy the weather is really weird and I feel it too. It got warmer around here and started raining yesterday. It rained all day today and wouldn't you know it, I felt it very much in my back and leg. It was like electrical shocks at time. Now it is a little after 10 p.m. and it is snowing and the pains have subsided. Always the change in weather affects me. I talked to some of my fellow coworkers about how it would be nice to live in Arizona during the winter. It is drier there and of course warmer. Oh well, I will survive.

You know what is funny. I am somehow losing weight. My son told me I was too skinny when he and his family came to visit. I really am not trying to lose weight but for some reason I am. I don't know but I guess I am not that hungry most of the time. I eat because I know that I need to. The only time I am really hungry is when I wake up in the morning. Most of the time I eat a little here and there. But I am happy, I am not starving. Don't know what to make of it.

Christi

Old 12-27-2003, 06:01 AM   #175
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B][CENTER]Good Morning Christi,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I hope that you had a very Merry Christmas with your family. I went out Christmas Eve to my sister's house. We all exchanged gifts there as I have four sister's and 2 brother's and many nieces and nephew's. On Christmas Day we stayed home and kept warm and had a wonderful day.

I too have been losing weight but I also take Topamax and that is a side effect of that medication. I basically am only hungry in the morning. Is it a possibility that it could be one of your medication's that have taken your appetite away. I mean we sure don't mind losing a couple of pounds as long as we have the extra weight to lose and I do. But I remember you saying how small you were so I would keep an eye on your weight loss. After all it was only the clothing that makes you look big.....lol[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER]Jeanne[/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 12-28-2003, 05:05 AM   #176
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Jeanne:

Yes I don't understand it at all, the weight thing. I can't imagine that it would be premenapause. Maybe it was taking the medication for so long. But I stopped taking it I believe in October, the first part of that month. Maybe it takes a while to leave the system. One more question to ask the doctor. I do see my gynocologist on Wednesday. Maybe I can ask him. I hope Brooke is having a good time with her family. I am sure we will be hearing from her soon.

May we all have a pain free year.

Christi

Old 12-29-2003, 02:17 PM   #177
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

goodmorning ladies,

please excuse the small caps, i am at work at the caps button doesnt work. well my holiday was good but it appears for my body i may have made the wrong decision. i did not cope well with the flight, it was only 1 hour long trip but i had not sat that long before. the landing was the worst. then it was a 1.5 hour drive from the airport. we stopped 2 times to have a walk etc but my back never seemed to settle from when i got there probably from that initial traveling now that i think of it. i spent a lot of time laying down and for me my pain is the worst when i am laying down and i try to move or go to get up after laying down. i assume this is because all the muscles are very relaxed. nevertheless it is quite uncomfortable and i am not entirely sure what causes this pain. it is a pain i never had prior to surgery so it makes me think it has something to do with the healing process.
    i will be nine weeks post op tommorrow, and looking forward to my first scan. is it at the 3 month mark that (provided the fusion is coming along well) that you are allowed a bit more mobility? i am hoping so though it doesnt really bother me anymore because ive been like this long enough.

how were your christmas's? i have gotten one exam result so far and have passed. it was a subject i was worried about so that is a relief.

lots of love and hugs to you both
    brooke

Old 01-01-2004, 12:41 PM   #178
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Brooke:

I am sorry to hear that your grandma is not doing well. I am glad you went to see her even during your recovery process. Sometimes we must make sacrifices for our loved ones.

It was right around 12 weeks when I went back to work. I moved a whole lot more at that time but I move more now. I noticed that I do bend more easily now and I do twist some. My body definitely tells me if I overdo things. I don't think my surgeon will yell too much. Most people at my stage of the game would be doing physical therapy. I do not bend from the waist to touch my toes though. I think that would be a no no. I am getting stronger and am feeling better. I wish this gyno stuff wouldn't be bothering me. I feel uneasy in my lower abdomen. I imagine it has to do with the fibroid tumors in there. I want to wait this out and not have hysterectomy. I am 48 and should be going into menapause hopefully in the next 2 years. I am just not interested in another surgery right now.

Yes my leg and hip and lower back still bothers me but I have accepted this and try to push it aside. But again I am farther along in recovery than you. If I were you I would still be careful in how I move.

Write back soon.

Christi

Closed Thread