It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• PLIF Post Operative Leg Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2003, 04:06 PM   #16
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    [QUOTE=Brooke79]Hi All,

I was wanting to hear from those of you who experienced leg pain after fusion surgeries. I am at 11 days post op and when lying down the pain in my legs (nerve pain) is nasty.
    Does it go away? Is it temporary?

Thanks Everyone
    Brooke[/QUOTE]
    Hi Brooke:

Keep your chin up. As the days go by you will get better. It is so hard to be patient but you must. It takes some of us longer to heal than others. I just went back to work after 3 months after having my surgery. I still have some nerve pain but it is getting better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2003, 08:37 PM   #17
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear MagnetLady,

I was hoping you'd be around somewhere. My nerve pain is so much worse lying down than any other time. I think i had told you about the magnetic back brace i had. I bandaged it to my leg and put other magnets on my other legs to try and reduce the pain.. it did not seem to work to well. Does magnetic therapy only work with muscle pain? Can i wear a magnetic back brace whilst i have staples in? Or with the rods and screws in place? I just worry that the magnets may interfere with the metal already in place.

I am seeing my doctor tommorrow late in the afternoon to have my staples removed. I cant wait for those to be out as when i lay on my back they cause some discomfort.

Everyone around me tells me i am doing extreamly well considering i am now 12 days post op. I am up and about (only within the house) all day and i have a little nap around mid day. My lumbar pain is now minimal. I can move around in bed so much better than i could 5 days ago when my brother and my boyfriend had to use an under sheet to move me in bed. If it were not for this nerve pain i think i would be doing quite well actually. I would love to go for a walk outside..Maybe later.. some fresh air.

Thanks for your support
    Love
    Brooke

Old 11-08-2003, 08:42 PM   #18
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Tommorrow,

Sleeping at night is beginning to seem out of the question. Today I feel so horrible because I have been so agressive toward my family. Pre-op I would get 12 hours solid sleep a night. Now im very lucky to get 3 hours. I havent slept properly in 1.5 weeks and i am beginning to act like an over tired baby. Angry at anything that moves. It is not their fault. My mum and dad have been sensational to say the least.

I am seeing the doctor tommorrow and i pray so much that she can give me something for the nerve pain. No medications I've had so far have relieved any symptoms for longer than 3 hours and I would love to go to bed and sleep properly, if not for me, then for the poor innocent people i am inflicting my frustrations on.

Love to you,
    Brooke

Old 11-09-2003, 12:00 AM   #19
    go*big*red
    (female)

go*big*red HB User
    Hi, Brooke

I am post PLIF done on March 5, 2003 and am here to tell you that IT DOES GET BETTER! Actually - in reading your last post here you were able to get a good 12 hours sleep prior to your surgery????? YOU ARE MY HERO! I still don't get that done!

My PT told me that sometimes the nerves get horribly irritated during surgery and thus the increased nerve pain post op. It will settle down though.

Good luck! Hope your appt. tomorrow goes well.
    10/10/06 PLIF L4/5, Dynesys L3/4

Old 11-09-2003, 10:47 AM   #20
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear GBR,

Thank you so much for your encouragment. The greatest of my stress now is what is going on with these nerves. They are impossible to settle. You are right though, it is most likely due to their disruption during the procedure.

What i need to remember for now is that i am now 12 days post op and I am up all day (i was about to say like a normal person lol!), except my sleep is interupted quite a bit (i get perhaps 5 hours a night). I can shower on my own. I can make my bed (slowly), i can change dvd's in the dvd player (very important) and i am eating like a horse (my favorite hobby). The surgeon expected that i would do well as I am only 24, fit and healthy, but even he is surpised at my progress.

Yep, I used to get 12 hours basically uninterupted sleep a night (when i have no back issues). Before the surgery i only heard out of my back if I pushed my body too much, and well..that's my favorite hobby. I also like to study but could not sit for long periods so that was not on. I work at a gym and live at gym pretty much and study Exercise Science so unfortunately it seems to be in my nature. 6 months prior to the surgury I had to stop all my gym activities to see if this made a difference. It only slightly decreased because i wasnt lifting any weights. Sometimes I even nap for a few hours mid afternoon. I actually think there is something wrong with me. LOL. The doctors say its because i am little and have a sensitive body.

But, things seem to be on my side right now. My back pain is minimal considering what i have been through. All in all i am a happy girl. I also think I have really gone on and on far too much and have most likely bored you silly so I'll go now.

I love coming to these boards, It's people such as youself that help us through

Love
    Brooke

Old 11-09-2003, 03:27 PM   #21
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    [QUOTE=Brooke79]Dear MagnetLady,

I was hoping you'd be around somewhere. My nerve pain is so much worse lying down than any other time. I think i had told you about the magnetic back brace i had. I bandaged it to my leg and put other magnets on my other legs to try and reduce the pain.. it did not seem to work to well. Does magnetic therapy only work with muscle pain? Can i wear a magnetic back brace whilst i have staples in? Or with the rods and screws in place? I just worry that the magnets may interfere with the metal already in place.

I am seeing my doctor tommorrow late in the afternoon to have my staples removed. I cant wait for those to be out as when i lay on my back they cause some discomfort.

Everyone around me tells me i am doing extreamly well considering i am now 12 days post op. I am up and about (only within the house) all day and i have a little nap around mid day. My lumbar pain is now minimal. I can move around in bed so much better than i could 5 days ago when my brother and my boyfriend had to use an under sheet to move me in bed. If it were not for this nerve pain i think i would be doing quite well actually. I would love to go for a walk outside..Maybe later.. some fresh air.

Thanks for your support
    Love
    Brooke[/QUOTE]
    Hi Brooke:

I use the magnetic products every day. I didn't have metal staples in my back. They used steri tape. But I do have titanium rods and screws in my back. I have used magnetic health products since 1996. I did however ask my doctor if they would interfere with titanium and he said absolutely not. Why don't you wait till the doctor removes the staples and then put the magnets on your back. The nerve pain is coming from your back and that is where you should use the magnets. I also have a tens unit that I have been using. It helps to block the pain signal that is sent to the brain. You have to use it at the pressure points. This unit tells you where those are. Your doctor can prescribe one for you but make sure it is covered by your insurance. Being as I am a distributor for the magnet company that I am associated with, I was able to get one without a prescription. Actually you can go to ebay and buy one there.

Ask the doctor when you can start walking outside. It really helps to get out of the house. Helps the attitude. Also quit making the bed. It isn't important and you shouldn't be bending anyways. Let someone else do it or leave it alone.

If it hurts too much to lie down in bed flat then curl up on your side. That is how I sleep most of the time. After surgery I had to switch positions in bed every two hours because it would hurt too much. I think I did that for quite some time.

By the way where did you get your magnets. I don't know if you are allowed to tell me what brand they are. I could tell you if they are any good or not.
    Don't use cheap store magnets. They don't work.

Christi

Old 11-09-2003, 05:14 PM   #22
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    [COLOR=SeaGreen][B][CENTER]Hello Brooke,[/CENTER]
    [INDENT]I am so sorry that you are having so much trouble getting some sleep. As Christi stated maybe you could try sleeping on your side. Remember absolutely no twisting. You must do this very carefully. Also use a pillow between your legs. I am sure the therapist showed you how to role on your side to get up from a lie down position. I know how restless you are without getting the sleep and the nerve pain you are experiencing but remember to try and keep your cool with your parents...lol

I am wishing you the best with you appointment tomorrow. Your incision area will feel much better once the staples are removed. I actually couldn't wait to get home and take a real shower afterwards... Just remember things are going to eventually get better.[/INDENT]
    [CENTER] Hugs to you. [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 11-09-2003, 10:57 PM   #23
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Tommorrow,

Staples out in 20 minutes! I cant wait, i think you're so right, i think lying on my back will be so much better with them out and yes I cant wait to have a proper shower/bath.

They are so itchy right now. Last night I slept solidly from 11pm-5am, that is my best effort so far. I also slept from 12 noon to 5pm so not bad at all. Things are looking up every day. Because I am getting more sleep I am in such a good mood. Getting back to my good old self. Don't have to shower with a seat anymore and therefore can wash my hair properly. Its very thick, longish and quite curly so its hard to wash sitting and it takes effort.

I'll let you know how I go when I return. P,S I hope i get some meds for my nerves!!

Love to you,
    Brooke

Old 11-10-2003, 12:19 PM   #24
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    [COLOR=DarkOrange][B][CENTER]Hello Brooke,[/CENTER]
    [INDENT]I was just checking in to see if you got back from your appointment yet. I am very happy to hear that you have been sleeping a little better. We do feel a little better with sleep.
    Yes, my staples also started itching around the time they were ready to come out.

I will check back again later to see how you are feeling.[/INDENT]

Last edited by MarianJ; 11-10-2003 at 12:20 PM.

Old 11-10-2003, 12:41 PM   #25
    camelia

camelia HB User
    o dear Brooke - i'm so sorry to hear about your nerve pain - I posted questions on the good fusions thread but think you've answered them all in the posts between you & Tomorrow . . . what can I say ? I'm shocked that the nerve pain is so bad after surgery as neither Sean, Sharon or Debbie mentioned that - I too get a wonderful 12 hours sleep right now & look forward to that after a day of nerve pain - but just to hear how you're suffering right now is painful - I'm sure it'll get better as the swelling subsides & Tomorrow's right nerve pains meds take a while to get into your system
    One question for you - are you sure they realigned your spine? - I understood they didnt do that & just fused the vertebra that that had slipped but left them in the slipped position . . .
    Thanks for the in depth description of your hospital stay & hope you get pain relief real soon
    thinking of you
    camelia

Old 11-10-2003, 12:52 PM   #26
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Tommorrow,

Im such an idiot, I totally forgot that i would let you know how i went at the doctors. duh! Truth to tell, i am just so happy with my progress (except for the nerve pain) that i am just..well.. i dont know.

Anyway, the staples stung to come out but the doctor said that would have been because she used an alcohol swab first to clean the area. But man, the relief!!!! Apparently the incision is not totally closed at the bottom around L5 and she said that is to be expected because that is the area where most of the work is done. Anyway she dressed it and will have a look again on Thursday to see how it looks then. She said I can have a bath on Thursday if it looks good. I love my baths.

I asked about the nerve pain and she thinks the seriousness of the spasms has further upset the nerves on top of the trauma of the surgery. She suggested that I have some physio/ massage done on my legs only (as my back is no way near ready for physio). I think this may be of benefit because my legs are so stiff and sore. I feel like the tin man out of the Wizard of Oz when i get up in the morning. But this is relieved after about 15 minutes. Anyway she didnt want to medicate against the nerves at this stage. I can see her point and yes things are getting fractionally better each day anyway.

The bottom line and the moment is I am so happy. I am in a little pain but no pain no gain. I thank you so much for your continued support Tommorrow, you dont know what it means to me to have people like you to help me through this.

Much love and Hugs
    Brooke

Old 11-10-2003, 12:59 PM   #27
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Hi Camelia,

How are you my sweet? I am so happy. I feel great (except for that nagging nerve pain, but hey, I am 13 days post op what do I expect?)

It's funny, because i am doing exercise science at uni and am so totally fascinated by the human body I put all my x rays from before surgery and after up on the window so I could examine what had occurred. My surgeon has totally straightened my spine (as I also had a bit of scoliosis) as well as bring the L5 back into its correct position. I have a beautiful looking spine now. I understand that some surgeons fuse the vertebrae at the position to which it slipped. I do not understand why they would do this because one would assume that you would have back pain because the vertebrae is in a position where it is not supposed to be! Why then keep it there? I really have no idea, im sure there are reasons but I cant understand it.

You are most welcome about the infromation i posted for Tiah. If I can tell you anything at all, let me know as I do not mind at all. I have loads of time on my hands right now and I intend on spending that time telling everyone here anything i can as others did for me.

Lots of Love and Hugs
    Brooke

Old 11-10-2003, 01:27 PM   #28
    camelia

camelia HB User
    hello bubbly Brooke - lol -you sound sooo much better - isnt that nerve pain the most horrid!!!
    ok so it looks like the nerve pain will go away - eventually . . . & i'l check in with my neuro about realigning the whole spine - I thought they just went in & cleaned away anything causing pressure on nerves & then did the fusion as was - repeating myself ad nauseum here!
    - do you think we we dont hear that often from Sharon Debbie & Sean because they're feeling so much better theyre not checking the boards - hope so so much!!!
    I look forward to being too busy & not being so needy & anxious about my back too I can get a life & not check so often - meanwhile look forward to reading your next report back re back
    congrats on spivvy new back btw
    & my love to you too
    C

Old 11-10-2003, 01:29 PM   #29
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    [COLOR=Blue][B][CENTER]Hello Brooke,[/CENTER]
    [INDENT]This is actually getting to be funny. As you are answering my post, I was answering your post on Christi's thread. So I just found out that you had your staples removed on that thread and then I came back to your thread again.

I am sorry to hear that the staples stung when they came out and I told you that the removal doesn't hurt at all. My doctor did not use alcohol so maybe that did give you the stinging sensation. Like I said on the other thread, just be careful with the lower area of your incision. I really don't want you to suffer with an infection after all you have been through. This is another reason why your dr. wants to see you on Thursday. Also they do keep a good eye on the incision area to make sure that it heals correctly without any signs of infection. I had asked my neuro at my 3 month post op check up if I could take a bath and he still said no. I wish I had your doctor...lol

I can understand your doctor's decision on waiting to see your progress before prescribing nerve medication's. I really pray that your nerve pain does ease up and that you don't need these meds. The only problem that might arise is the fact that if your nerve pain does not ease up, these meds do take some time to get in your system before they give any pain relief. But keep a positive attitude and things may continue to get better for you.

Your welcome Brooke. I only give out what so many members have given me. I hope you have a very comfortable night.[/INDENT]

Last edited by MarianJ; 11-10-2003 at 01:29 PM.

Old 11-10-2003, 03:05 PM   #30
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Tommorrow,

My nerve pain seems to be decreasing each day, a little. I can sleep through most nights. I might wake up once or twice but it is not as it was a few nights ago when i would have to get up for a number of hours.
    Things are going very well and it really is only the nerves that are bothering me so i guess i can not complain too much.
    I am going to have some physio on my lower legs as the doctor believes this may relieve the nerve pain so fingers crossed.

Love
    Brooke

Closed Thread