It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• PLIF Post Operative Leg Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2003, 08:12 PM   #31
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    [QUOTE=Brooke79]Dear Tommorrow,

My nerve pain seems to be decreasing each day, a little. I can sleep through most nights. I might wake up once or twice but it is not as it was a few nights ago when i would have to get up for a number of hours.
    Things are going very well and it really is only the nerves that are bothering me so i guess i can not complain too much.
    I am going to have some physio on my lower legs as the doctor believes this may relieve the nerve pain so fingers crossed.

Love
    Brooke[/QUOTE]
    Hi Brooke:

When I decided to get off my pain medication which was Vicoden, I started using extra strength Tylenol which was definitely approved by my doctor. One of the reasons they don't really want to give more pain meds is that they want to be able to see how you really are doing. Ask your doctor about the Tylenol. It isn't addictive like Vicoden or Oxy. Also I tried neurontin 2 years ago for nerve pain. It didn't really help me and just made me always in a bad mood so I quit taking it.

Camelia sometimes I think some of the people on other threads just don't want to talk about what they call negatives. We must all realize that it doesn't always go the same for everyone. I myself do not believe that is a negative. We must be able to talk about post op pain. It does exist and like I said before some people heal differently than others. Some heal faster and others heal at a slower pace. We must be able to encourage one another no matter what the case is. I have been busy also at work and try to check in. Sometimes it may take a few days but I do check in.

One thing is for sure. Have faith. This too shall pass. We get anxious and nervous and impatient because we would like for it to go on our timetable but it doesn't always work out that way. I used to feel so bad because things weren't progressing like others. But I don't anymore. I am not them and they are not me. Well got to go now. Will check back in later.

Have a great day!

Christi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2003, 10:53 PM   #32
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Christi,

You're absolutely right. The only way to know what true progress you're making is to do it without pain meds (if possible) because that way you have a true indication of how things are going. This is my next goal after my wound has fully healed as i am interested to know how I am doing.

I went for a 30 minute walk today out on the street. I was slow and it is extreamly hot here right now. My legs are butt were very sore because they are doing the work of my back muscles. My dad wanted to kill me.... I felt it was ok, no damage was done (that i can feel yet).

I wanted to know, is it entirely physcially possible to get through 4-6 months without even slightly bending or twisting your spine. I have so much difficulty putting on my underpants that i find i have to ever so slightly bend my spine a little to the side so i can reach my pants. I felt the slightest of pain. Does this mean i reduce any chance of healing or anything like that?

Love
    Brooke

Old 11-11-2003, 03:31 AM   #33
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    [QUOTE=Brooke79]Dear Christi,

You're absolutely right. The only way to know what true progress you're making is to do it without pain meds (if possible) because that way you have a true indication of how things are going. This is my next goal after my wound has fully healed as i am interested to know how I am doing.

I went for a 30 minute walk today out on the street. I was slow and it is extreamly hot here right now. My legs are butt were very sore because they are doing the work of my back muscles. My dad wanted to kill me.... I felt it was ok, no damage was done (that i can feel yet).

I wanted to know, is it entirely physcially possible to get through 4-6 months without even slightly bending or twisting your spine. I have so much difficulty putting on my underpants that i find i have to ever so slightly bend my spine a little to the side so i can reach my pants. I felt the slightest of pain. Does this mean i reduce any chance of healing or anything like that?

Love
    Brooke[/QUOTE]
    Hi Brooke:

No it is not possible to go that long without bending your spine. You have to bend some to put your clothes on etc. They don't want you to go to the extreme of trying to touch your toes or pick up heavy items and such. My doctor told me after 3 months that I can bend but here again not to lift something the wrong way especially if it is heavy. Now the first few months is a different story. You have so much healing to do and you are stiff and sore and incisions are healing both inside and out. Do you have a grabber? I used that thing so much the first few months. I was always dropping things so that worked well for me.

Don't overdue the walking. I was told to walk 4 times a day for 15 minutes. I worked myself up to walking half mile during that 15 minute period but it took a while to get to that. Actually walking is the best exercise you can do. Your body will tell you when you overdid things.
    Wll got to go to work this morning. Have to get ready.

Christi

Old 11-11-2003, 03:43 AM   #34
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Christi,

When you say that you have to walk for 15 minutes, does that not include time spent walking around the house for example? Is it like walking outside on the street? I sometimes wonder that because I already spend a lot of time up that going for a walk may actually not be included, that it may be too much time.

I do have a grabber and its great because I too drop so much stuff. So much more than I used to.

Have a great day Christi
    Love
    Brooke

Old 11-11-2003, 04:33 AM   #35
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Hi Brooke:

When I say walking 4 times a day for 15 minutes each time, that is apart from your regular walking in the house. I started that at 3 weeks post op. That really helped me to use the muscles and all as just walking around the house seemed like my legs were weak. Walking for 15 minutes at a time strengthens the legs. Ask your doctor how much they want you to do right now. Maybe none at this point but I believe they will tell you to start soon.

Christi

Old 11-11-2003, 06:50 AM   #36
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    [COLOR=Indigo][B][CENTER]Good Morning Brooke,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I am very happy to hear that your nerve pain is decreasing, what terrific news. I do wish you the best with physio therapy. I myself never tried that so keep my posted on your progress. I have a physical therapy appointment on Friday but that is for just one visit. They are going to show me how to use my tens unit that I just got and I was also just diagnosed with archilles tendinitis of both heels. The burning pain is horrible, especially at night. So I am going to PT to get some exercises to do at home for this.

I read your post to Christi about getting dressed and bending and she answered your questions very well. I just wanted to add that I purchased more than one grabber. I leave one in my bathroom. Since you are only about 2 weeks post op you should not bend to get dressed, so use those grabbers to get your pants on..... At first it does seem difficult, but you do get the hang of it.

Again, I am very happy that you are feeling much better.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] Hugs to you. [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 11-11-2003, 02:42 PM   #37
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Christi and Tommorrow,

Goodmorning to you both. Yep, the nerve pain is decreasing fractionally each day. I am still much aware of it but i can also live with it. I dont think at 2 weeks post op, feeling the way i do, that i have too much to complain about. Yesterday I began walking outside the house, i walked around the block, it took my half and hour. Although i didnt feel any pain other than tiredness I wont do that length of time again because I just dont think i should be. I will walk for 15 minutes today.
    I am just feeling so much better everyday. I am beginning to get into a semi-normal sleeping pattern. That is, i'm not waking up at night. That could also be the valium.
    I cant wait to start physio on my legs as i feel they do a need a good going over. The muscles are tight and that may just be what i need to help ease up the pressure on the nerves.

Have a lovely day
    Brooke

Old 11-11-2003, 04:35 PM   #38
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    [COLOR=Magenta][B][CENTER]Hello Brooke,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I think that for 2 weeks post op you are doing remarkably well. I am happy to hear that you were able to take a walk outside. Wow, you even went around the block, good for you. I had only started walking on my block and my son would not let me out of his sight. I think he became the parent for a while...lol He is only 16, but he is such a great help to me.
    What great news to hear that you are sleeping through the night. Even if it is the valium that is helping you, at least you are getting a good night's rest. I still only can sleep for 3 hours at the most. Maybe I should ask my pain management dr. about valium although I have never taken it before. I do take Zaneflex at night which is a muscle relaxant and it does nothing for me.
    Brooke, I'm so happy that you are getting stronger and you are starting to feel better.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] Hugs to you. [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 11-11-2003, 05:26 PM   #39
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Hi Brooke:

I am glad that you are sleeping better now. My doctor says that is when our body does the most healing, when we are asleep. Do you still go to the thread (Good Fusion Outcomes Wanted). I haven't been there for a while. How long have you been taking Valium to sleep? I sleep through most of the night. I would say that I normally get about 7 plus hours every night. I used to wake up every time the pain got worse but now I am sleeping pretty much through the night.
    By the way try walking several times a day if the doctor okays it. That way you can rest in between times. It drove me crazy being cooped up the first few days or when it was raining and I thought I couldn't go out. After 3 weeks I would go out no matter what. If it was raining I would just grab an umbrella and walk.

Christi

Old 11-11-2003, 06:22 PM   #40
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Christi,

Valium is primarily a muscle relaxant. It is also used as an antidepressant and a sleeping tablet. My cousin is epileptic and valium is used to stop the seizures. It has definately controlled the seizures for me. Ask your doctor about it.
    Perhaps the thing that i am most concerned about is that I am finding because i am sleeping at night better (and more deeply) i think that if my body begins to stiffen up then i just move myself. When im asleep i am not going to roll the correct way and I am worreid about what may be happening to my spine. My surgeon did say though that you really cant do damage to a fusing spine whilst moving in bed, its quite safe... i dont know, im still a little sceptical.

Love Brooke

Old 11-11-2003, 06:50 PM   #41
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Hi Brooke:

I wouldn't worry too much about turning the wrong way in bed. Your body will warn you if you start doing that by the pain. I guess I didn't have that problem. It seems I was always aware of it whether sleeping or not. I think the brain controls that even when you are asleep. I am not a physician by any means but are concious knows what can or cannot be done and when we are asleep our subconcious takes over. Again if you would start to move the wrong way I believe your body would definitely let you know, just like it does when you overdo things.

Christi

Old 11-12-2003, 01:23 AM   #42
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Christi,

That's comforting to know. Tell me when you are in bed laying on your back and you have slid down the bed a bit and would like to move back up toward the pillow is it safe to ned you knees and gently lift the pelvis and slowly walk your feet (and thus your back) up the bed? I have done this but not the complete action as I have described here, I am too worried because some of the muscles that aid in that type of movement include the lower lats (which were cut during my surgery).

But yes, in general I dont wake when i move at night (well i dont think i do, sometimes maybe you are awake but dont remember). I guess what I mean is i dont experience too much pain in bed. Also, do you know if we are allowed to lie flat on our tummy? Sometimes this is so comfortable, as long as my head is not on a pillow. I'm just worried about curvature of the spine (as I have lordosis but only slightly in the lumbar spine).

Ok, enough questions for one sitting I think.

Thanks Christi,
    Love Brooke

Old 11-12-2003, 03:42 AM   #43
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Hi Brooke:

Many times when I lay on my back, like when I was watching television, I had my knees up and if I was too far down on the couch I either turned over on my side and scooted up which was actually more comfortable to do or I probably did lift my butt a little bit and scooted up.

I have never been a fan of sleeping on my stomach. My physical therapist says that it puts too much pressure on the lower spine especially after surgery. Never liked doing it so I don't. I would wait several months after more healing to do that. But if that is important to you then ask your doctor.

It is 6:39 a.m. right now. You would think I could sleep in on my day off. I am thinking of going shopping for a bit of diversion. Of course I couldn't do that for quite a while after surgery.

Christi

Old 11-12-2003, 10:39 AM   #44
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Christi,

That's what i thought, about the pressure when lying on your stomach, you can feel it and my muscles all tensed up, it seems they knew what was going on. They never mentioned it at the hospital but i'll ask my doctor.

Don't worry, its 5:30 am now, but i had a bad night, and i can confidently say it wasnt my back either. It was my boyfriend but that's something entirely different. It was almost comforting to know that as I was going to sleep i was in greater pain from something other than my back.

It's horrible when you want to change positions, everyone just watches me and yells out suggestions, like its a football match or something. I take my time because i'm trying to think out the path of least resistance LOL. I takes a while. Lying on my back with my knees bent can be nice but I cant get past the feeling that i am hurting the incision site (as mine is apparently ever so slightly still open).

Lots of love
    Brooke

Old 11-12-2003, 02:51 PM   #45
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Hi Brooke:

Lying on your back with your knees bent puts your back in a neutral position and actually takes the strain off your back. My doctor told me that when my back hurts to lay on the floor and prop my legs on the couch, or love seat or if you are laying on the couch also prop your legs on cushions. Again it takes the pressure off your lower back. Don't worry about your incision. When mine was open I still lay on my back and it didn't hurt it one bit. Your incision will knit back together.

I am sorry if you are having problems with your boyfriend. My husband was so good to me during my recovery period. I would get so upset at times because of how much pain I still had and how I thought it was taking too long for recovery. Of course he is so layed back and he would very patiently try to calm me down. I'll bet he heard the same thing over and over again but he hung in there.

I have been experiencing more pain in the last 3 days. I know it is because of the weather change plus I have a tendency to stress over stupid things. We are going to church tonight. We are studing Rick Warren's book "40 days of purpose." Right now he is talking about how God allows us to have limitations so that we will look to him for our strength. You know get our attention toward Him.
    Well got to get ready to go. Talk to you again soon.

Christi

Closed Thread