It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• PLIF Post Operative Leg Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-12-2003, 06:17 PM   #46
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    [COLOR=Magenta][B][CENTER]Hello Brooke & Christi,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I was just checking in to see how you both were feeling.

Brooke, I wanted to wish you luck at your appointment tomorrow and I hope that your incision has healed well.

Christi, the weather still has some affect on me, that's for sure. Today was a miserable rainy day and I stayed indoors and still felt it. I hope tomorrow the sun is shinning and you feel better.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] Have a good night. [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2003, 08:15 PM   #47
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Hi Tomorrow:

There is not a chance that the weather will get better for awhile. A tornado hit Wooster, which is 30 miles away and Sugarcreed too which is 12 miles away. The temperature was in the mid 60's this afternoon and it is 11 p.m. now and it has dropped to 41 and tomorrow's high will only be about 35. The winds are very high right now and will continue to be that way till tomorrow afternoon. Of course I feel every bit of it. Remember the feeling of small electrical shocks I was experiencing a few weeks ago? Well I had had a few of those today. Of course I probably should have stayed home instead of going Christmas shopping. I did have a lot of fun doing that and boy did I get some bargains. But I was hurting by the time I got home. We did go to church tonight but even that got cut short because the power went out. On the way home we saw a lot of trees down. It was nice to get home and find our places in fine shape. Well I have to go to bed now. I need to rest up for work tomorrow.

Christi

Old 11-13-2003, 01:25 AM   #48
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Tommorrow,

Ah, als, my wound is still only every so slightly open and has closed up more than the last time i saw the doctor but she still wants to give it 2 more days, thus it will be 2 more days until I can have a bath...

I slept for 5 hours this afternoon. That is totally ok with me because i am up and about the majority of the day so my little body needs to have a rest somewhere along the line.

One thing I have found sinceI had the surgery is that i am not as tired as I used to get. I believe this is because the slip is no longer causing the strain it used to cause and therefore the muscles are not requiring as much energy and so there is more to spare.. or so i think it goes. Did you experience any difference in terms of tiredness before/after?

Old 11-13-2003, 04:15 AM   #49
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    [COLOR=Magenta][B][CENTER]Good Morning Christi,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]When I was younger I had lived in Oklahoma and we had so many tornado's. I only lived their for a short time but it was a very scary experience especially as a child. These tornado's took down whole shopping plaza's. I'm very happy that their was no damage to your home. Here on Long Island we do get hurricanes. A couple of years ago we got a horrible one. I lost every tree in my yard and my neighbor's yard was untouched. Just my luck I guess...lol

I too started my christmas shopping although I only purchased two gifts so far. I am sorry that you have gotten that electrical shock feeling again. I hope this isn't something that is going to stay with you. I pray that it's just your body telling you to take it easy. I remember after my surgery I would get this jolting for a couple of weeks. It went away and then returned again at 3 months post op and only lasted about a week. I also pray that it doesn't return. I wonder if we might be talking about the same thing. Now that I think of it, It could be described as electrical. I had brought this up to my neuro surgeon and he said that it was normal and most post op patients do experience this but it usually goes away.

I hope you have a good day at work.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] Take Care [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 11-13-2003, 04:28 AM   #50
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    [COLOR=Indigo][B][CENTER]Good Morning Brooke,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]Well, at least your incision has closed up some more. It is better to be more safe than sorry. I am happy that your doctor is being more cautious, but sorry you have to wait longer for your bath.

After my surgery I was exhausted for the first couple of weeks. Besides the trauma that my body went through and the recuperation time, the medications also made me tired. At first I was taking oxycontin and norco. The combination of those two medications made me very tired. I thought I would improve after I came off of the oxy after two weeks. I was then only taking the norco. I had so much difficulty just walking as I was extremely dizzy. I found out this was from the norco, and once my dr. changed that med to vicodin I started to feel a little better and wasn't so tired. I have also had other medical complications with my recovery such as anemia and that also caused me to be more tired. I still have not found the cause of that but I do have another test scheduled this Saturday.

I am happy that you have your energy back and your sleeping patterns are back to normal. I am sure the phsio therapy will also be a great benefit to you.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] Take Care [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 11-13-2003, 07:27 AM   #51
    camelia

camelia HB User
    hi Brooke - noticed you edited your message on the good fusions thread (or was it the moderators?) anyway think it was a good idea - you just never know
    How's the nerve pain in your legs doing? When I wasnt sure what was causing my leg pain I used to go for a deep tissue massage on my legs - especially the back of my thighs - that really hepled & I'd be fine days aftre
    bye for now
    camelia

Old 11-13-2003, 11:20 AM   #52
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Hi Brooke:

Boy I hope your not mad at me. I haven't gotten a message from you since yesterday. Please let me know if I have done something to offend you. If I did you have my sincere apology.

Christi

Old 11-13-2003, 11:40 AM   #53
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Hi Tomorrow:

My husband told me this morning to stay home and rest. Yesterday the weather was warm and today it is mid afternoon and 33 degress Farenheit. It even snowed. I tried to call off work this morning but the phone line by where I work must be down. It just kept ringing and ringing. I tried many times and even sent an email to 2 of my bosses. Haven't heard anything yet. I don't know if the windy and cold conditions have reached you or not.

Sounds like those small electrical shock sensations might just be our bodies telling us that it is time to rest and relax. I guess since I have returned to work I problably try to do too much. It is almost like my surgery has never happened. I am doing laundry, vacuuming etc. I need to remember that it hasn't been that long since my surgery. I don't have to be superwoman and do everything. In a way it would be nice if a person could take off work for 6 months to a year to recover. Oh I would still do the housework and other things. Even working part-time but make the same money as full time would he great. ha ha

I envy Brooke and the warm weather she is having. I wouldn't mind being in Phoenix, Arizona right now. I think physically I would feel so much better. Oh well I would miss my children and grandchildren for the holidays. I miss my mom and sisters. They live at least 600 miles away from me. Thank God for the telephone and internet.

Christi

Old 11-13-2003, 01:39 PM   #54
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Christi,

Oh no i would never ever be mad at you. Hell no, I am so very sorry that it may have come accross like that, not at all. I think i just forget to reply to some people some times. I need to write it all down. I am so sorry,m truly I am.

The weather is really nice here, we are coming into summer over in the big land of Oz, not that i can really enjoy it right now. Unfortunately the magnets did not help, perhaps it is the ones I'm using. Then again i was putting the magents on my legs but the nerve is experiencing pressure in my back so they were not in the right place anyway. I asked my doctor about putting magnets over the operative site and she said no. I am really hoping this physio i am having on my legs next week will help me out because they are getting very sore.

Lots of Love and long distance hugs
    Brooke

Old 11-13-2003, 01:45 PM   #55
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Tommorrow,

I am doing well though all i do when i go into my bathroom is stare at that big hole in the wall otherwise known as 'My Bath'. I love it so much...hopefully tommorrow i can have a bath! The doctor said it is all closed but there is a little line about a half an inch long where it is a little red, thats all. I dont know if that kind of thing means the incision is still able to become infected or not.

I have begun reducing my pain meds. They have me on Di gesic. This doesnt have any codine in it (or minimal), i take 2 in the morning because when i wake up is when i am in the worst pain, then during the day i take panamax just an average panadol type drug, then i take digesic again at night with 2 valium. Last night I tried to reduce it down to 1 valium and 1 di gesic and i woke up every hour on the hour. I went straight back to sleep but still. I was having real bad dreams too so that may have been the reason for waking up.

Can not wait for physio as when iwake up in the morning my butt and thighs are so damn tight you could play the violin with them! Its just so sore, i am oo scared to tense them up and stretch them in case it hurts my back.

Lots of love and long distance hugs
    Brooke

Old 11-13-2003, 01:56 PM   #56
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Camelia,

How are you my sweet? Yeah I edited my message. The pain in my legs is also now becoming an issue of cramping i think. When i wake up in the morning they are in so much pain, especialy my butt, they are just so sore its not funny. This unfortunately means my nerves are getting squished even more. I can not wait for the physio!

Other than that I am doing so well, I'm really happy and yeah, things are great. (could be the valium)How are you?

Brooke

Last edited by Administrator; 12-15-2003 at 01:29 AM.

Old 11-13-2003, 04:53 PM   #57
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Hi Brooke:

Are you changing positions in bed. If you can I think it would help. I don't know why your doctor would tell you not to use the magnets unless she just doesn't believe in them. Heck I have been sleeping on a magnetic mattress pad and pillow since 1996. I told my surgeon that, and also that I wanted to use the stronger pad on my back and he sure didn't have a problem with it. They did put titanium in your back right? Magnets cannot move that around. Oh well one must do what their doctor says I guess. Now if you were bleeding out of your incision I could understand the doctor saying that because magnets will increase the blood flow but if you aren't then I don't know what the problem is.

I wish it was warm here. I feel so much better when it is warm. Take advantage of it. Go outside, listen to the birds, animals. Even is you can't golf, work in flower or vegetable garden, take advantage of it. My surgery was July 9th and I went outside as much as I could. It sure is better than being cooped up in the house.

Christi

Old 11-13-2003, 05:05 PM   #58
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Christi,

Yep, its a beautiful day and I just went for a walk around the block. It took about 30 minutes. This is the first time I did it on my own and I was quite nervous.

I am worried about big dogs when there's nothing wrong with my back, so you can imagine how I was feeling about encountering dogs. I was also trying to walk really steady etc.. maybe I was trying too hard.

Hehe, this little tiny mini dog ran out barking at me, he just wanted to say hello but I stopped in my tracks and didnt move. heheh

Geez, anyone would have thought I was being asked to walk down a dark and dangerous alley in the middle of the night. Really need to get over that.

My back didnt hurt but my legs did and my butt. I also had a clicking inmy red hip by the feel of things.

Enjoy your day Christi
    Brooke

Old 11-13-2003, 05:21 PM   #59
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Cool

Hi Brooke:

We all are afraid of different things. My biggest fear as far as my back is concerned is of falling down. With winter coming, I am afraid of our car lot, roads etc. becoming icy. I don't want to slip and fall down. I am thinking of getting gold cleats or something to wear when I am outside. I wish we had your warm weather.

Hey sometimes small dogs are more to be concerned about than big ones. Even little dogs bite. A Pom bit me on the ankle one time and boy did that hurt. Well now you know this dog won't hurt you so enjoy your walk. Please be careful not to overdo it.

Christi

Old 11-13-2003, 06:26 PM   #60
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    [COLOR=Magenta][B][CENTER]Hello Christi,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]It looks like your husband can see that you need a break. So take his advice and rest. They do have our best interest at heart. Wow, you already got snow. I used to love when it snowed as it would look so beautiful outside. I always thought it was the perfect scenery with the trees covered in snow. But this year my bones are dreading it. We have got the 50mph winds here in NY. Some trees came down, but we did not loose the electric. The wind was so strong it actually pulled my pool cover right off my pool. I am so happy that I did not have any appointment today.

I have also begun to do light housework. But their is still so much I can't do. I don't know how I would ever be able to return to work if I were employed. This is what keeps making me think that something is wrong. But I will keep praying and hoping.

You bet I also envy Brooke, with her warm weather. I lived in Tucson Arizona for one year and believe me it was beautiful. My family loved to travel when I was younger. [/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] Have a great night. [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Closed Thread