It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 4 months post-op from lumbar spinal fusion and laminectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2004, 12:32 PM   #151
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Re: 4 months post-op from lumbar spinal fusion and laminectomy

Hi Jeanne:

I hope you are doing well. Glenn and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary last evening. He made reservations for us at the new Inn for last evening. We had a suite with a whirlpool bath, fireplace, king size bed etc. We also ate dinner at the restaurant there. We had a great time and returned this afternoon. I hope we all have a Happy New Year! May we all heal, and live active lives.

Christi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2004, 04:37 PM   #152
    acme

acme HB User

Hi Ladies,
    Sounds Like we've got a couple of Sucess Stories in the works! Glad to hear you are doing well! I keep my fingers crossed for all of youse guys!!

Larry

Old 01-02-2004, 08:07 AM   #153
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][B][CENTER]Hello Brooke,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I also stayed home on new year's eve. I watched some movie's with my son, nephew and hubby. Then we watched the ball drop on TV. Not much of a celebration this year, but I was safe and warm. Oh, I did make a very small toast with champagne but I take to many medication's so I had to be very careful.

I am happy to hear that you are starting to feel a little better with less pain. Maybe the fusing has started to begin. Here is hoping that your next x-ray will confirm this. I will be praying for you. I see my surgeon on Monday and my pain management doctor on Wednesday. I'll keep you posted.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER]Jeanne[/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 01-02-2004, 08:21 AM   #154
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][B][CENTER]Good Morning Christi,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]That is just horrible about your neighbor's dog. I am so very sorry that this has happened. I think that your neighbor may have made a wise decision because once a dog does get the taste sometimes then continue in this manner. So many states have a leash law but accidents still happen. Years ago I had a cocker spaniel and he came out of my fenced back yard and went on my front steps with my son. A Pitt bull came right into my yard and grabbed my dog and it was a horror and it took 15 minutes and so many neighbor's to break up this dog fight. My dog needed so many stitches and was in shock for days. Of course nobody claimed ownership to the other dog. My fear is what if this was a child that was attacked. My son had to have counseling over this as he and I had nightmares for a long time afterwards. We just couldn't get the horror from our minds. And who would want a pet that does this... I think I should stop as this is a real touchy subject with me......sorry.....

It sounds as if you and your husband has a wonderful time and I am very happy for you. I hope that you took advantage of that whirlpool bath as I am sure that would have felt great. Oh and the fireplace has just the perfect touch. [/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER][SIZE=4]Happy Anniversary[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 01-02-2004, 08:27 AM   #155
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][B][CENTER]Good Morning Larry,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]Thank You... I just made a post on January's Surgery's. A member had asked about going back to a sport after fusion surgery. (figure skating) I had forgotten that you have had a successful surgery and maybe if you don't mind, you could share your opinion with this member. I hope that you don't mind me asking.[/INDENT]

Old 01-02-2004, 04:20 PM   #156
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Larry:

Nice to hear from you again. I hope this was a successful surgery for me. I do feel better and I guess if I am only taking 1 ES Tylenot every 4 to 5 hrs. that is good. I still wish all the discomfort would go away. But they say patience is a virtue so I guess I will have to wait. Do you get any discomfort now?

Christi

Old 01-02-2004, 04:24 PM   #157
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Jeanne:

Yes it was not a happy moment for us with the chicken and dog incident. But we had a great time at the Inn. I went back to work today. It rained all last night and today. That is when I definitely feel the most discomfort. But Tylenol does seem to help me quite a bit. Maybe in a year or so I will be able to look back and say like Acme that all the pain is gone.

I am happier now then many months ago. I guess that being as I am not taking all the narcotics like before that I am considerably better. Have you heard from Sean? I wonder how he is doing?

Christi

Old 01-02-2004, 04:41 PM   #158
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Jeanne, and Christi,

Hi, im glad now that i am not the only one who had a quiet new years. I often have this feeling after an event if i know i didnt make an effort to go, i feel bad but this time i didnt. I am too concerned with my back right now. Christi, that hotel sounded lovely, could you enjoy the spa bath?

Speaking of dogs, i have a small papillion, he's just turned 19 in november but is as cute as a button and looks like a pup. He was attacked by a german sheppard about 7 years ago. It just picked him up in its mouth and shook him around. From the incident his back has never recovered (we suspect it was broken during the incident) and his lungs were punctured from the teeth. Since then he has had trouble breathing and his back always cracks. Recently he has started draging his leg a little where his spine was damaged so i assume it is just the progression of his deterioration with age as well. The two of us have been resting on my bed..he snores..loud..lol..

It is the after christmas sales here right now and so i took my boyfriend shopping (as he doesnt have a car or license) all over the place because he wanted to buy a new tv and digital camera as he is going on a round world trip mid year. He spent $3000 all up and so i thought i would make the effort to take him to all the shops at different centers so he could try and get the best price.

I had worked 6am-9am that morning and was only the slightest bit on the sore side so we went shopping. About 3 hours later after driving and walking etc i was so sore, i had the same ache i used to have only this time i couldnt curl up in a ball to stretch the muscles because of the fusion. I began to feel sick from the pain and it was spreading up my back to my neck. I was due to go back to work from 5pm-7:30pm but the thought of that brought tears to my eyes. I managed to screw up all the staffs day because they had to find someone to cover me. One girl ended up working 11.5 hours.

I went to bed and my boyfriend brought me lunch and dinner in bed as i was too weak to get up. I had pain everytime i moved in bed but worse than normal and i had nerve pain in my right leg. This time it was up near my groin as well as down the leg.

I am resting today and im sure ill be fine. I am sure the fusion itself hasnt been compromised and that it was just the operative site and the muscles getting tired but i cant help but be dissappointed with myself for going shopping all day, for ruining the staff members plans, for failing to realise that i could not be up and about that long after 10 weeks you'd think i'd know my limits. So today i feel mentally horrible.

Larry,
    I think my surgery has been a success so far. I have not taken pain medication in 6 or so weeks and im coming up to 10 weeks post op next wednesday. Nothing at all and only experience pain when im in bed and try to change positions because i assume my muscles are just really relaxed and so moving is unsupported to an extent.

I hope everyone is well

Love and hugs
    Brooke

Old 01-02-2004, 04:51 PM   #159
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Brooke:

It is called overdoing it! Yes you will need to rest a while. I did the same thing a few months ago and more than once I may say and really paid for it. Our heads tell us that we can do it and yet after the fact our bodies tell us we shouldn't have. We need to listen to our bodies more instead of our heads. The mind is always willing but the body isn't always able. Even now I still look for warning signs. My boss many times on a late night tells me to go home a little earlier than the others. I don't argue with him.

Take your time Brooke. Relax, it will be better for you. It is for me. If you feel a little depressed than take some natural herb to make your spirits feel better. I took some today and I felt better. Of course I am also dealing with pre menopause stuff.

Christi

Old 01-03-2004, 06:04 PM   #160
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Christi,

You're right. I may try and take some natutral herbs for the depression. I have been taking a 'safe' antidepressant but i simply do not like the idea of unatural substances in my body.

I wont be doing that again. As i mentioned i felt so bad that i had put everyone at work out by saying i could do the shifts. I see others around me working so long and hard and they dont complain. I know i am under different circumstances but somehow that doesnt seem to help me. However, i have always been that way, as you put it, your mind is more willing than the body and that is the case here.

It is really quite odd. I remember when i was relatively fresh from surgery i was wanting to spend more time out of bed. Now it seems my body is wanting to go back to bed more. I suppose this is a normal response. I need to remember that the surgery also has an effect on the mind in that i am finding i am quite tired all the time too.

I am trying to sort out rosters at work so that i can rest more.

Love and hugs
    Brooke

Old 01-04-2004, 12:39 PM   #161
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Brooke:

Your body is tired because you are doing more than before. That is natural and normal. It takes much longer to recover right now and when you are tired that is the way your body is telling you it is time to rest. I try very hard to listen to my body as it is the right thing to do. I remember one Saturday my boss told me to go home. It was kind of slow at work. I hadn't sold anything and I was thinking of hanging around in the event I would get a customer. Well the way he reacted when I told him I was thinking of staying surprised me. You would have thought he was mad at me. Anyways I guess he could tell that I was beat, and insisted. I went home and rested. On the next Monday when I went back to work I found out that I didn't miss a thing and if I would have stayed it would have been for nothing. He could see what was hapening to me before I could.

So, take your time. Don't beat yourself up just because you can't do things like other people right now.

Christi

Old 01-07-2004, 04:32 AM   #162
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Everyone:

Boy is it cold brrr! and we have a funeral to go to today. One of our friends killed in a car accident. He was only 64 and not his fault. Brooke how are you doing? Have you recovered from the holidays.

Tomorrow:

Haven't heard from you either in a while. Write back and let us know.

Christi

Old 01-07-2004, 06:14 AM   #163
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][B][CENTER]Hello Christi & Brooke,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]Sorry I haven't been on the boards in almost a week. I have been ill but I am starting to get my strength back. Believe it or not I got my cycle again and I almost ended up in the ER. At one point I thought that I was going to pass out and I was getting so weak from bleeding so heavily. I do have an appointment with my gyn on Tuesday. I also saw my neuro on Monday. He wants me to have an MRI. He said that he will be able to read it with the hardware. He also said that I have Fibromyalgia and wants me to see a Rheumatologist. I had ask him about a SPECT Scan but he said they are inaccurate. I also have an appointment today with pain management and I don't want to leave my house. It is to cold out there. It is 19 with a wind chill of 11. It is days like today that I really wish that I had a fireplace to keep warm. Everyone in my home is warm except me... I slept with five blankets and a heating pad last night and shivered.....I won't even say how many layer's of clothing I had on....lol It is going to take me forever to catch up with this board.. But I did miss you both. [/INDENT]

Old 01-07-2004, 11:27 AM   #164
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

dear christi and jeanne,

once again sorry for the small caps, again im at work.

i apologise that i too have not been as responsive as normal. my dog died on tuesday evening (my brothers brithday). we had had him for 19 years. i know when others have told me that had lost a pet i would feel sorry for them but really in all honesty i had no idea how that felt because i knew id always have my boy to go home and cuddle. now i can appreciate how they feel.

the worst thing is i didnt even feel like this when my cousin died (same age as me). how horrible does that sound. he was just the cutest little man i had ever seen and i was obsessed with him from day one, i could never get over him..sometimes it would give me a headache cause i played with him so much.

all i ever wanted though was to be with him when he died and i was. i spent the last 3 and a half hours of his life right next to him...i have that to be thankful for but unfortuantely right now not much else.

strangely enough through all of this my back did not complain once, something i thought would be the first thing i heard a complaint from. today it is a bit sore on one side but that would be from the way i jumped out of bed when my alarm went off. i hope you are both well.

love and long distance hugs
    brooke

Old 01-07-2004, 01:03 PM   #165
    Mistina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mistina HB User

Hi guys,
    I don't mean to butt in here. I follow this thread every once in awhile cause I like to check everyones progress after surgey since I am 4 months post op and get a little paranoid when 'I' over do it, I'm still having problems in that area.

Brooke,
    I just wanted to drop in and say how sorry I am that your baby passed away.
    I have a Jack Russel Terrier and will be devastated the day she passes because she is my life and she is always there to go home to.
    I'm very sorry about your loss.

Good luck in your recovery,
    Christina

Last edited by Mistina; 01-07-2004 at 01:05 PM.

Closed Thread