It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 4 months post-op from lumbar spinal fusion and laminectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-15-2004, 12:19 PM   #196
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Re: 4 months post-op from lumbar spinal fusion and laminectomy

Dear Christi and Jeanne,

Well, i had my x-ray yesterday. The same hospital i had my surgery at is where outpateinets have their x-rays as well. It was strnage being back there considering how i felt during my stay there. It was really funny, when i went into the waiting room the youngest there would have been 60 and even then he was young! Then of course there is me. The receptionist said 'you're too young to be here!'. She said i was the surgeon's second youngest patient with the other having been a 15 year old boy who had had a very bad rugby accident.

I really like this x-ray facility as firstly it is a standing x-ray so its more comfortable but mostly because you can watch on a screen the x-ray image before it is taken. It comes up on a big screen so they can make sure they are taking a photo of the right body parts.

Anyway the radiographer remembered me and he is really nice. He knows how exciting it all is for me so as soon as he developed the films he put them up and showed me the results. Of course I had to laugh when i read Jeanne's post because it's absolutely true, I have no idea what they see, it looks the same to me. The radiographer said the surgeon looks at the initial post op images and then compares them using a ruler to measure the correct heights and wideths of the disc spacers and instrumentation with the point of reference being the top of the Femur i think.

It's not what i expected. I had thought that in the space where the put the bone graft that there would be bone, like thick bone, that it would be white like the vertebral bodies but it wasnt. It looked the same.

The radiographer said that he couldnt tell me much else as he was unaware but this is one i will definately need to ask the surgeon. The radiographer said though from his experiences with films, my fusion was looking good and that all the instrumentation was in place. This in itself was a relief because i had had a few knocks and bumps post op that hurt a bit and worried me as to whether everything was ok.

So, i'm going to have to wait till next Friday to find out exactly what's going on. I am so excited about seeing the surgeon. I love going there I might as well be going to a fair or something lol...

It is Friday morning here so I hope you have a lovely restful weekend ladies, you're both in my thoughts.

Love and hugs,
    Brooke

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2004, 06:22 PM   #197
    carken
    (female)

carken HB User

Dear Brooke, Jeanne, and Christi - -

Thanks for your answers and encouragement. I haven't been at the computer in a couple of days because I have my daughter and granddaughter here visiting.

I had to teach my granddaughter (age 2) to crawl up in my lap, and she learned very quickly!

It's now 2 1/2 weeks post-op for me. My incision is perfectly healed (tape, no sutures or staples), and I'm walking every day. I don't have to use the walker inside anymore and have graduated to using the cane outside while walking. I hated that walker! Made me feel my age, I guess. I may be overdoing it some because I'm having some leg pain late in the day.

I enjoy reading and learning from all of you.

Carole

Old 01-17-2004, 04:52 AM   #198
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

HI Brooke:

Well I hope your xrays turn out well. I called yesterday to get the results on my pap test and they told me that the hospital is running 3 to 4 weeks behind so I will wait till next Friday to see if the results are in.

Jeanne, I am a little surprised that the doctor has not prescribed birth control pills for you to take to help with your problem. That is what they did for me and really slowed things down.

Carole:

Sounds like you are doing very well. Keep walking, but don't overdo it. You have to take things easy for a while. The mind is always willing but the body doesn't always keep up with the mind. Leg pain is not unusual. I still experience that only much less than before and not all the time. Weather affects me big time. So keep your head up. It will get better.

Christi

Old 01-17-2004, 06:47 AM   #199
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Indigo][B][CENTER]Hello Brooke,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]After reading your post I was thinking of getting out my x-rays and a ruler but I would probably need a magnify glass as well....lol

I do wish you the very best at your appointment next Friday. I believe that your recovery is far enough for your surgeon to see some sort of growth on your films. I wonder if your surgeon sees the excitement when you go for your visit...lol But I to can relate as we cannot wait to hear the words that our fusing has begun. So I will keep you in my prayer's.

I hope that you have a great weekend.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] Jeanne [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 01-17-2004, 06:58 AM   #200
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Blue][B][CENTER]Good Morning Carole,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I to can relate to not liking the walker but I had to use it longer than most. Unfortunately, I had a problem with my insurance company approving my TLSO brace and it took several weeks for approval. But you must remember to listen to your body as it will let you know when you have done to much. But like Christi stated, leg pain is not unusual especially during this recovery.

I am happy to hear that you are having company. It must have been challenging to teach your granddaughter to crawl up into your lap. But please be careful and make sure that your daughter is around to lift her back down if needed. I think that when my family came to visit me during my recovery, that was the best medicine for me....

Have a great weekend.[/INDENT]

Old 01-17-2004, 07:19 AM   #201
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Magenta][B][CENTER]Good Morning Christi,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I too was surprised that my doctor did not first try a medication. I was expecting him to give me a prescription and I even went their prepared with the name of a med that another member had told me about. Unfortunately, when I talked to him my mind went blank and I made an idiot of myself and said that the medication began with a P. Believe it or not I knew the name of this med while driving to my appointment, "Provera." But what he told me was that he didn't want to prescribe me any hormone medications because of my mobility and because I have already reached the stage of anemia. I had brought all of my copies of blood work and I think that may be what had also alarmed him. But still I was not prepared to hear any words of surgery whether it is minor or not. I would prefer a pill and stay home...lol

I am sorry to hear that you have to wait even longer to get the results of your pap tests. Gosh, you must be going crazy. I never even knew how long those results take as I never called for them. My doctor's always told me if anything comes back abnormal we will call you. I will keep you in my prayer's.

For so many years I loved the snow, but this year is to much. It's know longer snow, it just plain ole ice. It feels as if I moved to Alaska.....lol I believe I really will enjoy the change of season when it finally comes and I will know longer look forward to another winter.....

Have a great weekend.[/INDENT]

Old 01-19-2004, 06:46 PM   #202
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Jeanne:

Well it is still cold here in Ohio. We are lucky if it reaches 20 degrees in the afternoon. Work was uneventful. Can't hardly blame people for not coming out to buy vehicles when it is so cold out there. How are you doing today?
    Hope you are feeling better.

Hi Brooke:

How is it going down under? Did you start back up with university? I hope you are feeling better too.

Christi

Old 01-21-2004, 04:42 AM   #203
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Magenta][B][CENTER]Good Morning Christi,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I went and had my lumbar MRI yesterday. I pray that they can read the films. My neuro surgeon always writes duplicate copies on my scripts so I was able to bring home copies of my films with me. Or course I did take a look at them later on in the evening. Some didn't look to well, but other's look as if he will be able to read them, not me...lol The same thing happened to me with this MRI, I had so many muscle spasms in both my back & neck. The test took over an hour as I had it with and without contrast. I am thinking that it has to be the position that I lie in that causes the spasms. A couple of times I lost control of my legs as they also started jerking. They will be mailing me out the report today so I should receive it within two days. I also have two appointments today and it is still so cold outside and I just want to stay home. I see my podiatrist and my primary doctor. I will find out results of my blood glucose testing finally and other blood work.

I sure can understand work being really slow for you. At least you get to keep warmer without having to go outside to show the cars. This time of year is the slow season for my husband as he is a carpet installer. So he is home more often with me which is very nice. I even got new carpet last week....[/INDENT]

Old 01-21-2004, 06:21 AM   #204
    carken
    (female)

carken HB User

I overdid it last night! It was only my 3rd outing since surgery 3 weeks ago (one was to get a haircut and the other was yesterday to vote).

It was my monthly Pokeeno night (dinner and cards for 12 ladies at a friend's house), and I decided I could go since it was nearby, and if I got tired, etc., I could call my husband to come get me.

It only lasts from 7 till 9:45, but a little before it was over, I began to "feel it". By the time I got home, I could barely make it to the pain medicine and bed.

I guess I won't be going to my niece's baby shower this weekend.

My body just doesn't agree with my mind, it seems.

Carole

Old 01-21-2004, 10:59 AM   #205
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Goodmorning Ladies,

It is bright and early over here in the big 'ol land of Oz. I have my gym instructors license starting today. It is the biggest day out i have had in the 3 months (as i am 3 months post op yesterday).

I am a little concerned that i will get tired but i'll literally just have to take it as it comes. I am in the right place at least as we are doing the 1st aid componant today and doctors will be on hand... lol.

I am glad i'm seeing my surgeon this friday because i am having more pain each time i lie down. It is becoming quite painful to move but only in bed but all the time in bed. I also still cant breathe to well when i first lay down.

Now that i think of it, initially post op my progress was fast and good, then it got painful (but never this bad except for the first few days at home when i had spasms) then it got better and now its bad again.

I am also supposed to be going back to my normal hours at work this week which is friday 6 hours, saturday 6 hours and sunday 4 hours. I do not know that i am ready for this. I am going to tell me surgeon this and see what he says.

Carol,
    I know how you feel as i tried going out that close post surgery too and boy does your body give you an ever so subtle taste of what it might be like if you were to try and pull something like that again! lol. Take it wasy carol. I know that is better said than done, my friends and family are telling me this everyday and still i push it, i am so impatient.

How is everyone else doing? I'll check back in this afternoon as i have to run now (so to speak).

Love and hugs
    Brooke

Old 01-21-2004, 02:00 PM   #206
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Jeanne:

I hope your MRI results are good. I still don't understand why they went that route. I was told that a ct scan was the best way to go. They can see more things that way and the films would be clearer. I am so sorry that you are having so much trouble and pain. I wish you could be doing better.

It's too bad you live so far away. We are doing so many renovations to our house before we move in. I could probably use your husband to install carpet in our house. But there are a lot of things that need to be done in that room before the floors are to be carpeted.

I hate when it is this slow at work. Fortunately I do plan ahead and I am like the squirrel who puts his nuts aside for those bad days. It is a good thing that I started doing that a few years ago. It came in handy while I was off work after my surgery.

Christi

Old 01-21-2004, 02:04 PM   #207
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Carole:

You aren't any different than the rest of us. After surgery we all tried to do entirely too much and suffered because of it. You must take it one day at a time and take it easy while doing so. You can't walk too fast, or sit too long, or do anything too much. If you do your body will definitely tell you. Unfortunately, you only find out about it after it is too late. Take your time. Their will be plenty of time in the future to do the things you like. Right now it is recovery time and that could take quite a while. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a long time nurse and she said that fusion surgery usually takes 15 months or better to be totally healed. I believe it.

The unfortunate thing is that when we start to feel better, that's when we do too much, and that's when we pay. Take it from people who know.

Christi

Old 01-21-2004, 02:09 PM   #208
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Brooke:

I am glad you will be seeing your doctor this weekend. I still don't understand why you are having so much pain lying down. He needs to get to the bottom of this.

When I went back to work after 3 months I was able to put in about 35 to 40 hours a week. Everyone is different. I hope you are able to do it. Sit down and rest when you get tired. Let them know that you may need some help. My employers were real good to me. Even now they tell me I can go home early if I need to. Of course I am strictly commission, so they don't lose a lot when I am not there except of course those sales I could be missing and then they are shorthanded when I am not there.

Keep thinking this will get better.

Christi

Old 01-21-2004, 03:02 PM   #209
    carken
    (female)

carken HB User

Brooke,

Hope your doctor's appt went well and that you have an answer to your lying down pain and breathing problems. Yes, I have to pay attention to my recovery and not whatever it is I "want" to do at the time. In fact, today when I went out for my walk, I wasn't gone for very long. When I came in a little sooner than usual, I told my hubby, "I'm listening to my body." Let me tell you, it was really talking loudly, too; I guess, still complaining about my little outing last night.

Christi,

Your job sounds ideal for going back slowly after surgery. As a teacher, I'm afraid mine doesn't have that sort of built-in flexibility. I'm almost going to have to know that I can do a day and do it day after day before I return. It even makes me consider not going back at all this semester. The kiddos have an excellent sub, so I have no worries there.

Sure glad to have the opportunity to vent here. I know a lot of people who've had back surgery of some sort, but not anyone who's had a fusion. Thanks again, all!

Old 01-22-2004, 06:21 AM   #210
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Blue][B][CENTER]Good Morning Everyone,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]Yesterday, I had two appointments. The first was with my primary doctor. I went in and was first giving the results of my glucose testing that I had done in December. It looks as if my surgeon was correct, the pins & needles in my feet are caused by Diabetes. I wanted to scream literally. So I was giving script for a blood glucose tester and test strips, medication's and a referral to a nutritionist. I also got a lecture on Diet and foot care. Then I was examined and was told that I have a sinus infection & bronchitis again. She also went over my latest iron count which was 15 and my transferrin saturation is 3. But I did explain that my GYN is going to perform a Cryoablation. She noted that in my file and told me to increase my iron tablet's to three a day instead of one a day. So I still has another issue to discuss with her as this is something that I haven't shared with anyone on these boards. This is something that has been bothering me for the last month and has scared me into thinking I was going crazy. After all how can one person have so many continuos medical problems during a fusion recovery. I found several pea size lumps inside my thighs on both of my legs. The more I looked the more I found. Finally I stopped looking...... I got the courage to tell my doctor yesterday and she did an examination after she just gave me all the other diagnosis. Well, she found more than I did, and doesn't know what they are. They are in area's of my legs that are painful. She said that she wants me to start with an ultra sound of both legs. I have been wondering if this could have been the cause of my edema and I just never noticed the lumps. But I did have two ultra sounds of my legs in September and October. So I would think that something would have shown then. At this point I don't know what to think. After I left her office I went to my Podiatrist. Out one door into the next as they are in the same plaza. If I have to go out I try to schedule my appointment's together..... My podiatrist asked me how the pain has been the last couple of weeks in my feet. She then stated that I do NOT have Archilles Tendinitis. I was first diagnosed with this by my pain management doctor. I then went to her office telling her this. After she listened to me and found that most of my burning pain is while I am sleeping as it awakens me, she said this cannot be archilles tendinitis. She believes this pain is coming from nerves and is sending yet another report to my neuro surgeon. She also suggested that I travel and find another neuro surgeon for a second opinion. I even told her that I was just diagnosed with Diabetes but she said that had nothing to do with the burning pain and also said that I need an EMG. I'm getting really tired of all these tests and appointments. And if I keep typing I will be writing a book.....lol Well, maybe my MRI report will come in the mail today, and I pray that they were able to read the images....

Thanks for listening.....[/INDENT]

Closed Thread