It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 4 months post-op from lumbar spinal fusion and laminectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2003, 01:01 PM   #61
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Raiza,

Unfortunately I hate swimming, i like hydrotherapy and aqua aerobics but my skin is so snesitive the water plays havoc with it and i hate water in my ears, eyes hair etc.. i should be in a bubble hehe. Hey, we gotta do what we gotta do and if swimming is going to help i'll do it. My surgeon has asked me to not doing anything until he sees me at 6 weeks so I'll check it out with him but im sure he'll agree. Swimming is the best for any spinal issue due to the weightlessness issue.

Yep i am 22 days post op and doing very well. I am very slowly tapering my pain meds. The most uncomfortable time is the morning. Even then though i take one paracetamol tab with one slightly stronger med, paracetamol during the day and the same prescription as the morning at night plus a valium as i had been experiencing spasms. But generally things are looking good.

I had an L5S1 Fusion, How about you? Was the disc probs at 2 months from the offending disc or from the disc above or below?

My biggest fear now is that either the instrumentation will upset my nerves or that there will be a disc bulge due to increased pressure at L4 from the fusion. Both are probable but not likely. Well lets hope not.

I applied for a disabled parking permit yesterday and will be granted a 6 month one, this is great as it covers the fusion period and means i wont have to catch public transport to get to uni, i also feared being in crowded spaces.

Hope you have a great day
    Love
    Brooke

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2003, 03:39 PM   #62
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Hi Raiza:

I had my surgery done on July 9th of this year. So it has been a little over 4 months now. This weather really is something else. I have been fighting a migraine headache all day long. I have tried to rest today since the last 2 days were rather hectic. With this headache, and my husband isn't feeling well either we decided not to go to church tonight. So we will just put our relaxing clothes on and stay inside in the warmth. Boy I know I was tired as I slept 8 hrs. each the last 2 nights. Got a 13 hr. day to put in at work tomorrow..

Christi

Old 11-19-2003, 04:57 PM   #63
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Christi,

Do you mind me asking what it is you do for work? I feel bad complaining that i have to work for 6 hours or that i have to go to uni, sometimes i feel so silly.

Love
    Brooke

Old 11-19-2003, 05:03 PM   #64
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    [COLOR=Magenta][B][CENTER]Hello Christi & Brooke,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I want to clarify a little about my post on the tens unit. I didn't go into full detail but Christi did. It does sound as if I have the same one as Christi has. I was not aware that the unit could also be used for other parts of the body. I only went by what pain management had told me. I still have not gotten around to using mine since therapy.

Today I went to my neuro surgeon's appointment. What a nightmare....
    I pulled into a parking place and realized this spot was reserved so I backed up right into a Navigator. Thank God I had my back brace on, but I still hurt my neck. I have many problems with my neck and I am really praying that this does not cause a flare up especially with the holiday coming up next week. I remember two years ago I could not even hold my head up at the table on Thanksgiving. I am wearing one of those pain patches on my neck. I didn't even tell my neuro surgeon about it as I didn't want him to tell me that I was a fool. This is my first accident even if it was only in a parking lot. The navigator didn't even have a scratch. So there was no need for a report. Their was a very small dent in my daughter's car.

My neuro wants me to have another x-ray. He said that I still have to wear the brace but if I drop the x-ray off and everything looks good he will call me and I will be able to stop wearing the brace. I also told him about the pins and needles in the bottoms of both my feet. He said that is a sign of diabetes and asked if I have had a hemoglobin a1c. I said yes and it came back 6.1 only slightly elevated. He said that I probably have diabetes and I better see my primary. I also discussed the increased pain in my tail bone area while sitting and he said that down the road we will have to remove the screws. That nothing can be done at this point and time in my recovery. He had also told me that some women do have this problem prior to my surgery. [/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] Have a good night [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Last edited by MarianJ; 11-19-2003 at 05:04 PM.

Old 11-19-2003, 10:00 PM   #65
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Re: 4 months post-op from lumbar spinal fusion and laminectomy

Dear Jeanne,

So sorry to hear about your day. Forgive me but what is a navigator? Lucky you were wearing your brace, jolts are the last thing you would want. Christi's name is beautiful and I too hated my name for ages, the worst is i always got/get is Brooke Chook and I hate it. I like my name now though, it is not all that common. An uncommon and beautiful name is what i plan on giving my children...one day....

Wow, Diabetes, i never knew that pins and needles was a symptom for diabetes. Definately keep us posted regarding this.

I am going to ask my surgeon about bone growth stimulators and tens units when i see him in a few weeks. He also does not want to do a 6 week x-ray, primarily because I am young and he thinks i've had enough exposure to x-rays for now. Hewill wait until the 12 week post op for that.

I too have tail bone pain when sitting but at 3 weeks that could be from any number of tings and most likely because I have just had surgery. Tell me, can you 'feel' therods and screws etc in your back. By this i mean if i were to ever so slightly bend or what ever - only by accident and im often very careful to not do this but i can literally feel a stoppage, i literally cant go any further (not that i would want to) but do you think this is from the instrumentation.

Not that getting it out is even on the cards for me but would that be a painful process, i mean as painful as the initial fusion?

I hope you have a better day tommorrow and fingers crossed for your results

Love to you Jeanne,
    Brooke

Old 11-20-2003, 04:20 AM   #66
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Brooke:

Actually I am a car salesperson. I am on my feet all the time and move around a great deal maybe too much. A Navigator is a sports utility vehicle.

Jeanne,

I am sorry about your experience. It doesn't sound like you had a good day. I am not so sure I would worry about the pins & needles so much. I still get tingling in my toe and I don't have diabetes. I don't know why he would tell you that without any tests or anything. Sounds to me like he is beating around the bush like Brooke's doctor on the tens unit. Sorry I have to go to work. Will talk more later.

Christi

Old 11-20-2003, 12:31 PM   #67
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Christi,

I have physio on my legs today to try and help ease the fatigue, swelling and perhaps free up the nerves from pressure a little, I hope he can help as I've lost a lot of flexibility in my legs. I will let you know how I go. You're right you would spend a lot of time on your feet. I would have liked to have been a nurse but that would be the pits for my back. Originally I studied law and was a fair distance through it when i found out about my back i got more interested in the health and fitness/rehab side of life and it has been only to my benefit i believe.

Jeanne,
    Christi is probably right, it is a strnage thing to say without any tests or anything. Are you going to have that all checked out anyway?

I'm about to get dumped off the net so I'll chat soon,

Love and long distance hugs
    Brooke

Old 11-21-2003, 04:32 AM   #68
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Brooke:

When I was in high school my goal was to be a nurse. However I married 4 days after prom and never got there. I am very happy with my career though. How did your physio go?

Hi Jeanne:

I hope you are not hurting too bad because of your accident. I would definitely get it checked out though. Sometimes it hurts more several days after the fact. I hope you are doing better today.

Christi

Old 11-21-2003, 07:13 AM   #69
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Magenta][B][CENTER]Good Morning Christi & Brooke,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]My neck has been hurting but it could be worse. I did not go on my pc at all yesterday. I have been taking more of my muscle relaxants and wearing the pain patches. My son has been giving me some neck massages as well.
    Their is a chance that my neuro surgeon could be correct with the diabetes. Prior to my surgery I was diagnosed with high glucose. My surgeon had said that I better keep it under control because if I developed diabetes he would not do the fusion. When it came time for my pre opt testing I was basically starving myself because once in a while I would have elevate readings. My sister had an extra glucose tester that she let me borrow. She is a MA (medical assistant) and over a month ago she got me a free style glucose tester. On occasion I would test myself especially when I was feeling ill. Sometimes I had readings of 199 and 209 but I just blew it off, thinking it was because I was sick. My primary did do a hemoglobin a1c and this test tells if your blood sugars have been off in the last 3 months. My test result were a 6.1 and my dr. said that was a little high which meant they were off and told me to give report to my gastro. My husband gave the report when I went for my endoscopy but my dr. never said nothing to me about it. My sister told me that you do not see a gastro for elevated blood sugars. I did make another appointment with my primary dr. for Tuesday and I will see what he has to say about this. I cannot take any chances as my mother does have diabetes. But everytime I go to my neuro and tell him about my swelling and pain he always sends me somewhere else. This has gotten to be so frustrating to say the least. I would much rather prefer to be on these boards and try and help other people even, if it is to give encouraging words as it helps to keep my mind off of my own problems. But I am trying to answer a couple of posts and I think I will have to lie back down. Even if I were to tell my doctor about my neck their is nothing he could do for me. He already said that I need at least a 2 level fusion but I will never agree to any cervical surgery. And I sure won't ever have another discogram...[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] I hope you both have a great day [/CENTER][/B]

[B][CENTER]Jeanne[/B][/CENTER][/COLOR]

Last edited by MarianJ; 11-21-2003 at 07:14 AM.

Old 11-21-2003, 01:10 PM   #70
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Jeanne,

It certainly does sound like you get the run around, how frustrating. Why would they send you to a gastro doctor when they cant diagnose diabetes anyway?
    Yep, i couldnt imagine wanting to having a cervical fusion, that would be nasty.

I hope you're feeling better today

Lots of love and hugs
    Brooke

Old 11-21-2003, 04:17 PM   #71
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Jeanne:

Wow, that is really too bad about all the problems you are having. I hope your primary doctor can help you when you visit him. Don't feel bad about your posts. You know we are here for you. That is what this is all about. Helping and encouraging one another when we are down. Also when we share what is going on with our lives it might just help someone else who is going through the same thing but thinks they are all alone. I find that being on these boards encourages me and yet I am sure that when I share about some of my experiences that it helps someone else.

I know its hard at times to keep positive but try anyway. Tonight for example I had to change into my sweats because I couldn't stand to have my regular clothes on because my back is sore from the shoulder blades down and it hurt.
    Even where my bra touched my back it was sore. I have worked much more and put in more hours this week therefore my back must be swollen somewhat on the inside. I will pray for you Jeanne.

Christi

Old 11-23-2003, 05:00 AM   #72
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Re: 4 months post*op from lumbar spinal fusion and laminectomy

Hi Tomorrow:

Wow you must really be feeling bad. I am used to communicating with you everyday and haven't heard from you. Hope you are doing better today.
    My back has reallybeen bothering me the last few days.

Christi

Old 11-23-2003, 12:58 PM   #73
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Christi and Jeanne,

I hope you are both ok, especially you Jeanne. I have had an increase in the frequency and duration of my spasms except there is no pain (yet). Each time i have one its when i change position whilst in bed. They are lasting around 3-4 seconds rather than 1 second. Before they were just instant now more prolonged. There is no pain so this has to be a good thing. I am going to try and get into the hydro pool this week as the physio said that and walking are the limits for now.

How are you Christi?

Love and hugs
    Brooke

Old 11-24-2003, 04:01 AM   #74
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B][CENTER]Good Morning Christi,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I finally made it back to my computer. I have been having a horrible flare up with my neck. I think today it may be getting better thank God as I have to drive to my appointment this morning for my lumbar x-ray. I really did miss you for the last couple of days. It is very hard to explain just how heavy the head can be when you suffer from cervical problems. Thank you so very much for your prayers.

I hope that your back is feeling better. I can only imagine the inflammation that you must get from those long hours that you work. You are also in my prayers as always. I do pray that you are feeling better.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] Have a great day. [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Last edited by MarianJ; 11-24-2003 at 04:01 AM.

Old 11-24-2003, 04:07 AM   #75
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B][CENTER]Good Morning Brooke,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I'm feeling a bit better today. I am sorry to hear that you had an increase in your spasms but I guess the good news would be that their is no pain. If these spasms are happening while you are changing positions in bed, maybe it is a possibility that you are twisting without realizing it. This would be very easy to do especially if you are half asleep while doing so. I pray that things get better for you. I have only heard excellent outcomes with aqua therapy. I think this may be a very good thing for you. [/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] Have a great day. [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

The following user gives a hug of support to MarianJ:
    sara4125 (06-24-2011)
    Closed Thread