It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 4 months post-op from lumbar spinal fusion and laminectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2003, 04:13 AM   #76
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Re: 4 months post-op from lumbar spinal fusion and laminectomy

Hi Jeanne:

I am glad to hear that you are starting to feel better. I occasionally have discomfort in my neck and I don't like it at all. It is bad enough having trouble with your back let alone your neck too. Hope your xray goes well. Let me know what the results are.

Christi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2003, 04:16 AM   #77
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Brooke:

Well I am off to work this morning, another 13 hour day. I had to make a huge bowl of macaroni salad to take along as the dealership is having a Thanksgiving dinner today. Everybody brings something. This is the only day that everyone will be there. We are also getting our pictures taken for the local newspaper. They do this every year, getting pictures of the people who work at the local businesses. It is 57 degrees now and supposed to drop into the 30's by late afternoon. Whoopie! I am sure I will feel the change.
    Hope all is well with you. I don't like back spasms. I never knew you could have them without pain.

Christi

Old 11-24-2003, 09:28 AM   #78
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Christi,

Everytime you say how many hours you do, i think whoo.. thats a lot. Perhaps these are not back spasms. Everytime i change position in bed all my muscles contract. Its like when you get out of bed first thing and have a big stretc, all your muscles contact and shake a little. Well thats what's happening only they stay like this for quite some time. I cant make it not happen. It doesnt hurt though. It's strange.

I am off to hydrotherapy tommorrow just to walk in the water. Its has been raining constantly for the last 4 days and so i have not been able to walk. Maybe i just need a good stretch.

Nerve pain is back today but only in my right leg. It comes on if i have been standing more than an hour and if i am tossing and turning (slowly) in bed.

Hope your Thanksgiving went well and the temperature wasnt too much for you.

Love and hugs
    Brooke

Old 11-24-2003, 06:59 PM   #79
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Magenta][B][CENTER]Hello Christi,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I had my x-ray this morning and then I brought it right over to my surgeon's office and gave it to the nurse. Usually, I look at them first but I really can't wait to stop wearing this brace.... I did not get a call today so hopefully they will call me tomorrow...lol

I just pray that I finally get some good news. Now that would be a change for me. I hope that you had a good time at work with your party. It does sound nice that you all got together and each brought in a dish. I hope that you are able to stay off your feet and rest tonight. I still don't know how you do it. I do envy you.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] Have a great night. [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 11-25-2003, 04:34 AM   #80
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Brooke:

Thanksgiving will be on Thursday. We were celebrating at work yesterday because that is the only day everybody was going to be there. We are having a Thanksgiving church service tonight. Enjoy your hydrotherapy today. Talk to you later.

Christi

Old 11-25-2003, 04:37 AM   #81
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Jeanne:

I know it is a lot of hours at work but many times they let me go home a little early. Great news! I get to have Thursday through Sunday off! Half of us our taking a 4 day weekend for Thanksgiving. The other half will do it at Christmas. This works out better for me. I hope you get your results of your xrays today. Let us know what the results are. Got to go to work.

Christi

Old 11-25-2003, 04:46 AM   #82
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Magenta][B][CENTER]Good Morning Christi,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I am so happy that you have a four day holiday vacation. I think this is exactly what you need. I really hope that you enjoy your time off and that you have a wonderful holiday with your family.

Have a good day at work today, and I will post later if my doctor's office calls.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER]Jeanne[/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 11-26-2003, 04:37 AM   #83
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Jeanne:

We did you to church last night. It was our Thanksgiving service. It was awesome but it lasted 2 and a half hours. I was so tired after sitting that long. We had to go get some dog food after that so it was 10:30 before we got home. I am so tired this morning but I guess it won't be long till 5p.m. when I get off work and then have 4 days off. How did your results turn out?
    Talk to you all later.

Christi

Old 11-26-2003, 12:49 PM   #84
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Sienna][B][CENTER]Hello Christi,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I went to my primary doctor last night. He wants me to go to the lab and have a 3 hour blood glucose test. He also wants me to have a test to make sure that I am not B-12 deficient, and I don't even know what that means. But last year I did have the Epstein Barr Virus and I had a different primary dr. She would give me b-12 shots and I would go home and fall asleep. He also wants me to have a CT Scan of my stomach, so it looks like it is time for more testing again. He even put me back on antibiotics as he said my bronchitis has not cleared up yet. I came home and my son had a temperature of 102. He is feeling better today thank God. I hope that you have a wonderful holiday.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER][SIZE=4]Happy Thanksgiving[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 11-26-2003, 05:48 PM   #85
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Jeanne:

Wow, all these tests you have to go through. Keep your chin up. This too shall pass. I hope your son is feeling better. It isn't much fun being sick. My stepdaughter called tonight. I guess we will travel the 2 hours on Sunday to go up and visit with them. This is the one that has a 3 year old and also 1 year old twin boys. We don't see them very often because of the distance, plus she is a visiting nurse and her husband owns a business. Of course my work hours and my husband being self-employed makes it difficult. But I guess we will celebrate Thanksgiving with them on Sunday.

We didn't have very much business at work today. I helped move some vehicles around. I did have one customer but he is 18 and wants his parents opinion on what vehicle he buys.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Christi

Old 11-26-2003, 07:49 PM   #86
    greg m

greg m HB User

I had my fusion done in May. I went back to work in Sept. I still have lower back and leg pain 6 months after surgery. I also don,t have much flexibility in my lower back. Is.this normal? My Doctor seems to have blown me off. I have no further schelduled visits. He said call him if I need to. I'm a little worried at this point.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:56 PM   #87
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Greg:

Welcome to this post. First of all what level did they do your fusion. How many times have you seen your surgeon since then. Are you still on medication? When you say you don't have much flexibility in your lower back I am wondering what are you trying to do? Personally I do bend but not to touch my toes. I do turn but not to twist very much. Are you totally fused yet? I know these are a lot of questions but they are pertinent to your question.

Christi

Old 11-26-2003, 08:04 PM   #88
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Greg,

Hi and welcome

Christi is right, it really depends on the level/s that were fused. Even if it were the lowest level L5S1, yes some flexability will be lost, when you try to bend over etc or bend back. As it goes up the vertebral column i believe it would become more inflexable.

Being as specific as you can will help us help you as like you said it doesnt sound like your doctor is being of all too much use.

Love
    Brooke

Old 11-26-2003, 08:35 PM   #89
    greg m

greg m HB User

Hi thank you for replying
    The 3 lower disks were fused. I saw my doctor 4 times after the sugery and had 3 x-rays done. I went to PT for 5 weeks but that seemed to make the pain worse. I have problems sitting up in bed and getting into and out of cars and this is why I mentioned my flexibilty. I 'm not taking any medication because I want to be able to judge if I'm getting better. The doctor did give me Viox.

Last edited by greg m; 11-26-2003 at 08:42 PM.

Old 11-26-2003, 08:42 PM   #90
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Hi Greg,

I am assuming it was L4/L5/S1? or was it L3/L4/L5. Either way with that calibre of surgery you will have definately lost the flexability you have mentioned. Some of this too could be muscle stiffness but a lot of it will do with the fact that a majority of the lumbar spine (responsible for forward and backward bending) has been fused. How are you finding physio? What have they said regarding your conerns of flexability?

Also are your scans indicating you're 100% fused?

Love
    Brooke

Closed Thread