It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 4 months post-op from lumbar spinal fusion and laminectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2003, 04:02 PM   #1
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Smile 4 months post-op from lumbar spinal fusion and laminectomy

Hi Everyone:

Well it will be 4 months tomorrow since I had my posterior lumbar fusion and decompression laminectomy at level 4-5. I went back to work working 40 to 50 hrs. about 3 weeks ago. I also got off the prescription pain medication that I was taking. I now use extra strength tylenol for any nerve pain that I experience. Yes I still have some pain but it seems to be getting better. I called my doctor last week because I was concerned about the electrical shock sensation I was experiencing for a few days. They say that it was probably due to all the hours I was putting in. Also depending on the weather sometimes depends on how I feel. I am recovering slower than some and yet faster than others. This was my 3rd back surgery within the last 7 years. Hope everyone has a better day than yesterday.

Hi Tomorrow:

Hope you are doing well.

Christi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2003, 09:01 PM   #2
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Christi,

As you said, everyone is going to be different in their recovery phases.. some slow some fast. I think you are doing so well to be working that many hours. At what stage did you go back to work doing only a few hours? For me, the main thing on my mind is whether or not I should defer from uni for the first semester of next year. In Australia uni starts back in mid February. At that stage I will only be 3 months post op. I worry about sitting in 2 hours lectures and tutorials, carrying books or even going on the train for that matter. I dont know if it might be better for me to do maybe 1 or 2 subjects only (instead of 6) and spend the rest of my time building strength again.

At 4 months, you should be showing up good results on your scans right? How do they look?

Love
    Brooke

Old 11-09-2003, 05:05 AM   #3
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    [QUOTE=Brooke79]Dear Christi,

As you said, everyone is going to be different in their recovery phases.. some slow some fast. I think you are doing so well to be working that many hours. At what stage did you go back to work doing only a few hours? For me, the main thing on my mind is whether or not I should defer from uni for the first semester of next year. In Australia uni starts back in mid February. At that stage I will only be 3 months post op. I worry about sitting in 2 hours lectures and tutorials, carrying books or even going on the train for that matter. I dont know if it might be better for me to do maybe 1 or 2 subjects only (instead of 6) and spend the rest of my time building strength again.

At 4 months, you should be showing up good results on your scans right? How do they look?

Love
    Brooke[/QUOTE]
    Hi Brooke:

I still have problems sitting for too long. I guess its also depends on what chair I sit it. I am a car salesman so I spend a lot of time on my feet standing or walking. The first week of October my husband and I went to Hershey, Pa for an antique car show. That is an 8 hr trip. We had to drive and I did do three fourths of the driving but we had to stop many times for me to stretch.
    I would think that you will be alright to go to uni by February. You will be able to carry more weight by then and you will feel a lot stronger than you do now.
    They did xray on my back about two weeks ago. I am a little behind on bone growth but it is growing. Everyone is different. I have a condition called hypothyroidism which may be affecting how fast I heal. We were not made with cookie cutters. God made us all different and we heal differently too.
    Hope you have a great day.

Christi

Old 11-09-2003, 11:08 AM   #4
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Christi,

I love it! 'God didnt make us with coolkie cutters', thats great! LOL and so true. You are absolutely right. I think I will enrol in as many subjects as i can at uni and if it seems to much then i can always withdraw from a few.

It is great to know that there is bone growth happening though. It would be so sad if there wasn't and my heart really goes out to those people who do/did not fuse. You're right though, you'll get there however long it takes.

Love
    Brooke

Old 11-09-2003, 03:40 PM   #5
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    [QUOTE=Brooke79]Dear Christi,

I love it! 'God didnt make us with coolkie cutters', thats great! LOL and so true. You are absolutely right. I think I will enrol in as many subjects as i can at uni and if it seems to much then i can always withdraw from a few.

It is great to know that there is bone growth happening though. It would be so sad if there wasn't and my heart really goes out to those people who do/did not fuse. You're right though, you'll get there however long it takes.

Love
    Brooke[/QUOTE]
    Hi Brooke:

Hope you are having a great day! When I returned to work which was 3 months after surgery I actually worked about 11 hours the first day. By Saturday of that week I decided to call off for that day as I was so tired. Just take your time and if you get a little tired at uni then take a little break for that day. When I was recovering from surgery the first few weeks I was very upset. I had expected to be doing so much better and not have all of the pain in my lower back and leg. I guess I had thought it would just disappear. Of course it took me a little while to find healthboards and my doctor had not been that informative prior to the surgery. As a matter of fact the last time I went to see him I told him that I wish I could have known more what to expect. He is a very nice man and he told me that it is almost impossible for them to tell people everything they may experience because only God knows what is going to happen. I can appreciate that statement.

Brooke, you will get better. Have faith, keep your chin up. Some people can push harder than others. Others can't. I had a problem with a physical therapist who didn't know what they were doing. They gave me wrong exercises to do and that set me back also. Be sure that if they send you to pt. that they have worked with spine fusion patients before. I went to a pt. who was pt. of the year in 1998, and after a few visits he said that exercises don't help me but walking and riding a stationary bike does more for me. So you do have options.

Christi

Old 11-09-2003, 05:29 PM   #6
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][CENTER]Hello Christi,[/CENTER]
    [INDENT]I am so glad to see that you are back. I sure did miss you. The last time we chatted I think you were getting ready for a presentation about a grand prix. I am very happy to hear that you are still doing well. I can see that you are still working very hard. I was very worried that you long hours might set you back but I am so happy that they didn't. I guess that electrical shock feeling was a little warning, so again please be careful. [/INDENT]
    [CENTER] Have a good night. [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 11-10-2003, 03:10 AM   #7
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Christi and Tommorrow,

It's bed time over here in Australia but i wanted you to know that i had my staples out tonight and it feels so much better. I cant wait to be able to lay more comfortably on my back. The doctor said I am looking so much better. I feel so much better. Each day is just looking up and up.

I have been told by the doctor that the nerve pain i am experiencing is most likely from those sever spasms i was experiencing, that plus the disruption from surgery. She would like to give it time before medicating against it.

I see her again on Thursday because she noted that the area of the incision around L5S1 was still slightly red and open (because this is where most of the work occured, she said its normal and has dressed it.

Do you happen to know whether sitting on a doughnut pillow means you can sit longer than the recommended 20 minutes. I would have assumed yes because with the doughnut pillow your spine has no pressure actually on it because if you are sitting on the doughnut pillow correctly, your spine should align straight into the middle of the doughnut where as if you were just sitting on a chair the pressure would be directly applied to the spine as there is nothing between you and the chair.

Hope you two have a great day
    Love
    Brooke

Old 11-10-2003, 12:34 PM   #8
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    [COLOR=Navy][B][CENTER]Hello Brooke,[/CENTER]
    [INDENT]I just posted to you on your thread. I am a little surprised that your dr. still took the staples out if you are requiring a dressing. But who am I to say anything, just please keep the area very clean since it is not completely closed as it is very easy to get an infection.

I don't know if you are allowed to sit for longer periods of time with the doughnut pillow, but you can just call the doctor's office to make sure. I don't want to say yes and the dr. says something differently. The pillow is basically to make you more comfortable with less pain.

Again, I am very happy to hear that you have been sleeping a little better. Maybe you will have even a better night tonight. [/INDENT]
    [CENTER] Hugs to you. [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 11-10-2003, 03:09 PM   #9
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Tommorrow,

You're right we do seem to reply to one another all over the shop dont we. Yeah i'm surpirsed too that the staples were removed. She dressed it specially then i put a waterproof dressing over that that i was given when i left the hospital. She said it was only open slightly but still, it bothered me a bit.

Hopefully by thursday it will be closed. I am hoping having a bath at the end of the week might help relax the muscles a bit too. But more over i cant wait to have physio on my legs as they need some relief.

Love
    Brooke

Old 11-10-2003, 07:56 PM   #10
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    [QUOTE=Brooke79]Dear Tommorrow,

You're right we do seem to reply to one another all over the shop dont we. Yeah i'm surpirsed too that the staples were removed. She dressed it specially then i put a waterproof dressing over that that i was given when i left the hospital. She said it was only open slightly but still, it bothered me a bit.

Hopefully by thursday it will be closed. I am hoping having a bath at the end of the week might help relax the muscles a bit too. But more over i cant wait to have physio on my legs as they need some relief.

Love
    Brooke[/QUOTE]
    Hi Brooke:

I wouldn't worry too much about the slight opening. Cover it with a bandage or even a steri tape and it will heal up just fine. You should have seen me on day 7 after my surgery. I suddenly started bleeding out of my incision and bleeding rather profusely for 24 hours. I finally went to the emergency room and they cleaned the opened area and gave me some antibiotics just in case. It seems I had a good size pocket of blood inside my incision that just wanted to get out. Nothing more serious than that. They used steri tape to tape over it and everything was fine.

I just got home from work a little bit ago. Worked 13 hours today and going back in tomorrow for 8 more. I am tired and my back is tender clear up to my shoulder blades so I will be going to bed shortly to get rested up. As you can see it does take a while for some of us to get well but we do get well.

Christi

Old 11-10-2003, 07:59 PM   #11
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    [QUOTE=Tomorrow][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B][CENTER]Hello Christi,[/CENTER]
    [INDENT]I am so glad to see that you are back. I sure did miss you. The last time we chatted I think you were getting ready for a presentation about a grand prix. I am very happy to hear that you are still doing well. I can see that you are still working very hard. I was very worried that you long hours might set you back but I am so happy that they didn't. I guess that electrical shock feeling was a little warning, so again please be careful. [/INDENT]
    [CENTER] Have a good night. [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
    Hi Tomorrow:

I am trying to keep this short and sweet for now as I am tired and it is getting late. It is nice to hear from you too. My presentation about the Grand Prix went rather well. I was a little nervous to do this in front of my peers but I guess I told them a few things that they didn't know. Hope all is well with you. Will keep in touch.

Christi

Old 11-10-2003, 10:37 PM   #12
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Dear Tommorrow,

Love
    Brooke

Old 11-11-2003, 03:37 AM   #13
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Hi Eveyone:

It is raining here in Ohio but should be a bit warmer. I am glad for that. Tomorrow, I hope you are doing well. Brooke keep your chin up, it does get better. If you get bored at home try renting some good funny videos. Laughter makes the body feel and heal faster.

Christi

Old 11-11-2003, 06:58 AM   #14
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    [COLOR=Green][B][CENTER]Good Morning Christi,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I am happy to hear that your presentation went well, and even happier to hear that you showed them that your were even more knowledgeable than they thought. I just love when us women do that to the men...lol

I hope that you have a great day at work.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER]Take Care[/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Last edited by MarianJ; 11-11-2003 at 06:58 AM.

Old 11-11-2003, 07:03 AM   #15
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    [COLOR=Indigo][B][CENTER]Good Morning Brooke,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]After reading Christi's reply on what had happened to her with her incision area I would not worry about yours. But still keep the area clean.

I bet you probably slept even better with having the staples removed. I hope today looks even brighter to you. [/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER]Have a great day.[/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Closed Thread