It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• "Frozen" back post op??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-14-2003, 10:20 PM   #1
    SusanPLIF

SusanPLIF HB User
    Exclamation "Frozen" back post op??

I am 15 weeks post op from my PLIF with instrumentation on L4-5. I just finished my fourth week of physical therapy and am having trouble regaining mobility in my lumbar spine.
    My therapist says I am not moving my lumbar vertebrae above or below the fusion site - which at this time...I should be doing. I really try to move them... especially with my prone trunk flexion stretch. I'm also using the stability ball - draping my body over it and doing pelvic tucks. I feel a hardness in my back in the lumbar area that feels several inches long - which coincidently is about the length that she's not seeing any movement on...and is around the incision. She says I'm "frozen"... not a good thing.
    I talked to my neurosurgeon's nurse about this this afternoon. She said this could be that my muscles are still in spasm and holding that area way too tight. The brace (that I stopped wearing about 3 weeks ago) has a lot of the blame - it works a little TOO well. I'm trying to use the wimpy muscle relaxers I have (skelaxin)..and hanging over the ball often. Gosh I hope those segments loosen up really soon.
    Anyone else go through this? I honestly am trying like h#$$ to move...and it really is frustrating... makes me wanna cry!! I'm not in pain...I just need to move! grrrrr Help?

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2003, 11:33 PM   #2
    Chiquita253

Reply to Frozen Back.....

Sounds like something I would experience.........the chiropractor could never "pop" my back.........because it was too "tight."
    My L4-5 fusion is Tuesday, 11-18-03.........I can just imagine that this is something that I may experience...........If it is.....I'll write you *&^%$ ing up a storm that I "created" it..........

Closed Thread