It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Post-IDET Report

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2004, 07:33 PM   #106
    larryp

larryp HB User
    Re: Post-IDET Report

[QUOTE=tennisnut]Larry - It's good to hear from you! I'm floored by everything you've gone through. How tragic to now be in more pain than you were in before the last surgery. I hope they have some answers for you soon. One of the hardest things about going through all the pain is the wondering, worrying, and not knowing what the hell is going on.

May I ask where you receive your spine care? I noted that you saw the folks at spinal diagnostics in the Bay Area, so am assuming that you are in the SF area as well. At this point, I am feeling lucky to have an option other than fusion even though there are no guarantees either way. I'm heartened to hear that you still have hope of returning to athletic pursuits in some form. Sustaining that hope is good for healing, I think.

Tennisnut[/QUOTE]
    Ms. T'nut,
    I am seeing a neurosurgeon in Santa Barbara which is 160 miles from home. I live in a small mountain town ~50 miles from Bakersfield. We had 6 inches of snow Tuesday. This doctor performed my last fusion on Dec. 18, 2003 but as I said I was hoping for Nucleoplasty so my Dr. set me up for a discogram in Santa Barbara with a doctor who flies down from the Bay Area (Spinal Diagnostics) once a month. He is the Dr. who does the instructional video for the company that sells the equipment to perform Nucleoplasty. As I said he recommended fusion as did my N/S. I did have my first fusion in 1998, in the Bay Area at The S. F. Spine Center which was logistically tough due to the distance. I flew back and forth for my follow up appointments. I am not on much pain meds since my Dr. doesn't seem I need them even though I am in more pain than before my surgery but I take my Metamucil daily. I understand the sex thing. It's just too painful for me right now but like the sports I will get back to that also.
    Hope this answers your questions.
    We may be down a set but we are going to win the match,
    Larry
    1990-Myelogram=L4-5 LAMINECTOMY.1998-Myelogram,Discogram,CTscan=L 4-5 FUSION w/BAK cages. 2002-Prolotherapy injections. 2003-April-MRI Lumbar spine=DDD,bulges,arthritis,low disc height,Physical Therapy.2003-May-MRI Thorasic spine=Two herniations displacing nerve roots.2003-July-Nerve blocks/epidurals; 2003-August-L5/S1 FORAMENOTOMY.2003-October-Lumbar Discogram=2003-December-L5/S1 FUSION w/BMP/LT cages. 2004-Jan-Pain much worse than before surgery. CTscan & L1/L2 nerve block & Myelogram.

Last edited by larryp; 02-05-2004 at 08:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2004, 08:13 PM   #107
    Standingman1

Standingman1 HB User

T'nut--Good to hear from you; glad you sent up a flare!! On the other hand, sorry to hear about the flare that send you down!

Re: IDET recovery, I wonder how typical this guy is who went through that long before getting better results. And, of course, it would seem to be impossible to know how much his being flat for nine months (good grief!) contributed to that process. In retrospect, I sometimes wished I had tried some version of that earlier on after my own injury. But, after trying to stay put like that just for one day, I started bonking out. If I get out of this, I think it will have to be on foot.

As you will see from Pippin, some of our LuJo friends are getting additional info, as it sounds like you are as well. Great that you are finding some useful things, although I think this neck of the woods remains a very good place for a certain kind of support, humor, sparks of wisdom, and connection. So "don't be a stranger," as they say.

Not much to report here--my plan (if that's what it is) about where it's been. I look forward to here Pippin's experience down south.

Best, Power to to the LuJos!

Standingman

Old 02-18-2004, 03:38 PM   #108
    Standingman1

Standingman1 HB User

T'nut--A quick word for you. I learned through another context that there may have been a recall of Duragesic Patches. I believe you are or were using them, so I wanted to pass this on asap. I don't have particulars, but I would assume it would be easy enough to search for. Good luck as always, and in all ways,

Standingman

Old 02-18-2004, 08:42 PM   #109
    Standingman1

Standingman1 HB User

t'nut--here is some more specific info as I have found it. there is a recall on the Duragesic patches -the 75 microgram per hour ones. The recall is being done by the drug company Janssen. The lot number on the recalled is 0327192.
    Apparently the meds on those patches my leak out when applied to the skin.

You would probably want to confirm this with the company of your pharmacy if it might affect you.

Standingman

Old 03-06-2004, 06:31 PM   #110
    tennisnut
    Inactive

tennisnut HB User

Hi, everyone

Sorry I've been absent from the board for so long. Somehow during this crippling back crisis, I have managed to grow my business and have been extraordinarily busy. It has been good to keep my mind busy as my emotions run havoc when I have time to dwell.

I'm now 4 months post-IDET and, sad to say, not any better. I still can not sit without extreme discomfort during and for many hours following. I did have a new MRI recently, which showed that my bulging area of the disc had in fact decreased in size and that the disc space was a little more collapsed than it was a year ago. So it does seem that the IDET did shrink the buldge. Whether it actually has sealed the tear remains to be seen, but the bottom line is that I am no better off in terms of pain or functionality. I am still not able to do isometric contractions of abs and gluts without subsequent flaring.

Have been doing a lot of research on artificial disc replacement and the docs who have evaluated me think I'm a good candidate. It looks like I will have to travel to Europe to get it done as the clinical trial in the US is over and the FDA is only allowing a few more procedures to be done. It doesn't look like approval for the first artificial disk (Charite III) will happen until Fall 2004 at the earliest and for the other (Prodisc) until 2005. In the next few months, I will be making my plans for the travel and operation. Looking to have this done in late May.

I've been up and down and all around about the surgery decision. But I know that I can't continue on like this, propped up on narcotics and living like an invalid. I still haven't been able to imagine a life beyond this pain and suffering, but am trying to believe it's there for me.

Standingman: thanks for the tip about the duragesic recall! I didn't have any of the bad batch but found that the patches weren't working so well for me so I swtiched back to oxycontin. You've been in my thoughts. I'll have to catch up on your posts, but imagine you are still taking it day to day.

--tennisnut

Old 03-06-2004, 10:49 PM   #111
    standingman
    Veteran

standingman HB User

Hey, look who's back in the 'hood!! Good to hear from you, T'nut!!!!! (as you may know, I've raised a few LuJo shouts for you and heard, through grapevine, a bit about your ADR considerations).

Sorry this IDET thing has continued not to bear fruit. Please feel free to use our gang here to sort through whatever further decision thinking we may be useful for. True, there may be less technical info here on ADR and related than in some other contexts. But I still think we have a corner on the wisdom, metaphysics, and definitely on humor! That helps too!

Your guess is right--I'm still treading water and mills. I am working on a new approach to PT which I think I will call "Jive Treadmill." As suggested, you can dance to it.

Now don't be a stranger!

Standingman

p.s. recently learned that the NS I've worked with here is doing some of the artificial disk trials in our area. Good to know, should the need arise....................

Last edited by standingman; 03-06-2004 at 10:52 PM. Reason: shameless grammatical error

Old 03-16-2004, 05:24 AM   #112
    Pippin
    Inactive

Pippin HB User

[QUOTE=tennisnut]

Have been doing a lot of research on artificial disc replacement and the docs who have evaluated me think I'm a good candidate. It looks like I will have to travel to Europe to get it done .... In the next few months, I will be making my plans for the travel and operation. Looking to have this done in late May.

I've been up and down and all around about the surgery decision. But I know that I can't continue on like this, propped up on narcotics and living like an invalid. I still haven't been able to imagine a life beyond this pain and suffering, but am trying to believe it's there for me.

--tennisnut[/QUOTE]

Dear T-nut,

I know we're all rooting for you in your decision to move ahead with an ADR surgery in Europe (Germany, I assume). It is a bold, but well-considered move. I do hope you can drop in on occasion to brief us on your experience. And, if the surgery is in May, you may well meet your goal to see the US open in August!

Cordially,
    Pippin

Old 03-16-2004, 12:26 PM   #113
    standingman
    Veteran

standingman HB User

Bravo! And Pippin, please do keep us informed of your own progress, either here, the lami thread, or in some other context.

S'man

Old 03-16-2004, 09:45 PM   #114
    tennisnut
    Inactive

tennisnut HB User

Hello, hello.

I am so delighted to hear from you guys. My absence from the boards has been soley due to the current demands of my work. I am writing three research grant proposals that are all due April 1. ARGH! My ability to do my work has been really hampered by these damn narcotics. I was on the fentanyl patch and every other day would have horrible side effects-sweating, chills, skin crawling. Turns out that these are withdrawal symptoms. I guess my body just sucked up the fentanyl fast and then went into withdrawal. I went back on oxycontin and my doc finally got my insurance to pay for it. The first few days off the fentanyl patch were hell as the withdrawal was intense even though I was taking the oxy. Finally, I can say that I feel fine. Needless to say, it's been a challenge to stay mentally focused while dealing with these mind-altering drugs and their side effects.

Since I've been working a ton, I've been on my back for most of the day aside from a few walks. That's when I start to feel a little better painwise and think, "maybe I don't need surgery." Boy, denial is a powerful thing. All I have to do is sit for a spell or run an errand and, bam!, back to the usual viselike pressure.

When the dust settles in April, I'm going to plan my surgery. Still looks like prodisc ADR in Europe for me. I so wish I didn't have to travel around the earth to have major surgery, but what can you do? Can't see waiting another year for FDA approval in the US. I want my life back now. I'm still scared, terrified, awed by the concept of what's involved, but no more so than I would be facing fusion.

There is a woman competitive recreational tennis player that had ADR and is back to playing. Just saw a pic of the guy who has had an artificial disc for 18 years, the longest so far, and he was hitting a tennis ball! So, there is a lot of hope in between the fears. I can not wait to be on my way to something better. It's looking like late May would be the earliest I could do this, but I'm going to push for sooner if possible. I will definitely keep you all posted as I plan for and take this journey. Your support means more than I can say.

Best wishes to all,

t'nut

Old 04-05-2004, 05:40 PM   #115
    tennisnut
    Inactive

tennisnut HB User

I am officially closing out this thread which has followed my journey through recovery from IDET. Sadly, after 5 months, I have concluded that the procedure was not a success in my case. Not surprising since the IDET inventor himself, Dr. Jeff Saal, gave it a 50-50 chance at best. I don't regret having tried this intervention. It was my last ditch effort to avoid surgery. Although I've been trying desparately to avoid the knife, it seems that my odds for a successful complete recovery are far better than they were with IDET. I think the most important considerations for anyone considering IDET are two: 1) make sure you are a good candidate by getting several opinions from doctors who do this procedure a lot and 2) make sure that you can really adhere to the post-IDET restrictions (8 weeks of no sitting, bending, lifting or twisting). This is not an easy thing to do even if you are highly movitated.

--tennisnut

Old 04-05-2004, 06:17 PM   #116
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

I am so sorry to hear that it didn't work. There are other options than surgery. Read The Burton Report.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:00 PM   #117
    standingman
    Veteran

standingman HB User

[QUOTE=injured betty]I am so sorry to hear that it didn't work. There are other options than surgery. Read The Burton Report.[/QUOTE]

IB: What is the Burton Report?

Thanks,
    Standingman

Old 04-06-2004, 07:08 PM   #118
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=standingman]IB: What is the Burton Report?

Thanks,
    Standingman[/QUOTE]

You can find it on the net. I can't post the site addie. Google should get you there.

Closed Thread