HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   Anyone have experience with prolotherapy? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/128805-anyone-have-experience-prolotherapy.html)

perianthal 11-23-2003 08:31 AM

Anyone have experience with prolotherapy?

I have been reading about this treatment for an assortment of problems. My interest is lumbar facet arthritis.

If you have used prolotherapy, did it help?

What was the cost* without insurance?

What if any, problems did you experience?

Thanks in advance!

Peri

standingman 11-23-2003 10:21 AM

Re: Anyone have experience with prolotherapy?

Peri**There were a few threads on prolo in the archives of this board, but, based on search engine, they don't seem still to be here.

I haven't had it, but considered it, and looked through the older postings a while back. What I recall are "mixed reviews." The people who had success, as I remember, were more likely to be people with clear SI hypermobility problems. But a few others as well. I don't recall discussion of negative experiences beyond the discomfort of the shots and not getting improvement. No doubt there are some more serious complications out there, as with everything.

I also recall that there are different "theories" about how many shots per session are appropriate**with a very large range of views in terms of numbers.

If you do it, let us know your own experience.

Standingman

standingman 11-23-2003 10:26 AM

Whoops**I was wrong. I did another search on the "all boards" level and there are quite a few threads on prolo from this board that are accessible that way. They ask the same questions as you did.

Standingman

perianthal 11-23-2003 11:59 AM

Thanks Standingman,
I read through some of those archives and indeed looks like mixed reviews. I guess we won't rush in to anything yet. Helpful though, to see what others say and not just get the information from the clinics that do the procedure!

One article I read elsewhere on the internet said that there is no established protocol for the procedure, hence the wide variation in numbers of injections and frequency. I can easily see how this too would impact the wide range of success.

Peri

backattack 11-23-2003 12:43 PM

I've had five of six prolo sessions with a traditional pain M.D. who ran out of all other options. He does it free as part of my office visits.

It HAS stabilized SI, ligament, sacral areas where I felt tears (it felt like my left SI was holding on by a thread). My pain is now limited to the base of my spine. A dynamic/kinetic MRI showed that I still have a partial ligament rupture at L5-S1 (the interspinous ligament) so I am going to have him focus there on the last session or two. (If I can get him to do more than six).

In the hands of someone who gives a lot of injections in the lumbar area (i.e., won't hit the sciatic nerve!), prolo is safe. It hasn't been a cure for me, alas. Also, you often have to travel far for a professional prolotherapist and they charge a lot $450/session. I'd recommend Reeves in KC; he seems to be the most "scientific" and has published the most.

JoniN 12-23-2003 02:19 PM

I have had Prolotherapy with Dr. Lawrence Cohen in Danbury, CT. I consider it a complete success as I am completely pain-free at this point! After 4 months of extreme pain in my lower back and left leg/foot, I was told by my neurosurgeon that I had no other choice than to have fusion surgery to correct the spondylolysis st the L5-S1 level. I had tried acupuncture, chiropractor, narcotics, epidural steriod injections (1) with no pain relief. The second ESI gave relief so I had a window of time to try Prolotherapy. Dr. Cohen found I also had a rotated pelvis which was causing pain from my SI joint on the left side. Within days of a realignment of my pelvis and first Prolotherapy injections, my pain diminished almost completely. After my second set of injections, the pain was gone. I am still going in for injections to further stabilize my spine and pelvis but other than being stiff for a couple of days following the injections, I am pain-free. ***** is a great website for more information on prolotherapy.

Joni N.

Amy R. 12-23-2003 03:27 PM

Is it ever covered by insurance? WC, I wonder?

backattack 12-24-2003 06:42 PM

I have had six treatments and have experienced much improvement. However, I still have pain at L5-S1. I saw a world-leading radiologist in NY who did a fat-suppressed MRI (cutting-edge new technology) and said I had a ligament rupture there. I wonder if prolo can CAUSE ruptures, too and am now worried.

Jon B.