It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Poll : How does the weather affect you ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2004, 01:13 AM   #1
    Jtruzman

Jtruzman HB User
    Poll : How does the weather affect you ?

I just want to know how many people suffer more when the weather changes ? For me; My pain SKY ROCKETS! When I had Fusion done a few weeks ago, after my recovery it started to rain here in Little Rock. That Saturday night, I could not stand the pain. It was unbareable. I was taking Percocet 10/325 with Bextra and NOTHING would even come close to relieving me at all. The only reason I did not go to the ER for pain relief is that I could not even walk!

Everytime it is gonna rain, I start suffering a day before until the rain stops. It has been like that ever since I started to have back troubles. So...

1.) Can anyone tell me how the weather affects you ?
    2.) Does your pain INCREASE or DECREASE ?

I want everyone to voice there thoughts. I want to see if I am not the only one that is affected by this.

Joe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2004, 07:41 AM   #2
    Rob61
    (male)

Rob61 HB User
    Re: Poll : How does the weather affect you ?

Hello Jtruzman

Here in NY we had a lot of rain this past year and it killed me thats why im selling my house and going to try Florida to see if i feel better if not then west.

Hope this helps

Rob

Old 01-17-2004, 08:50 AM   #3
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Navy][B][CENTER]Good Morning Joe,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]Welcome to the Healthboards for Back Problems. Yes, the weather sure does have an effect on my pain. I also reside in NY and like Rob, we have had rain and snow. The rain and dampness played a big part in the increase in my pain levels. Also as soon as I walk out my door and the temperatures have been below 0, It sends a chill through my spine and an increase in pain. I also have been experiencing much more stiffness and I believe that the weather is playing a role in this. So you are not alone.

I wanted to also bring up another very important issue that I had read in your post that you may not be aware of. You stated that you are taking Bextra and this medication is a valdecoxib which is in a class of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS). I have to ask if your surgeon is aware that you are taking this medication during your fusion recovery? If you search the internet you will find many articles stating that you should not take any NSAID's during a fusion recovery. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAID's) inhibit bone formation, which is required for the fusion to take hold, and are to be avoided.

I do wish you the very best and pray that you have a successful recovery.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] Jeanne [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 01-17-2004, 09:32 AM   #4
    acme

acme HB User

The weather changes really don't bother my back! Had fusion surgery in 2001. Weather changes make for tight muscles / aching joints.......probably.......cause I'm getting older! Just an asprin or 2 and I'm good to go!

Old 01-17-2004, 01:34 PM   #5
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

The weather has affected my back since my first surgery in l981. Rain, snow, ice, or rapid change in climate causes a big increase in my pain levels. It seems to be somewhat better since I had the pump, but my joints still ache more and I just feel "tender" all over, lol.
    Carol
    morphine pump

Old 01-17-2004, 03:32 PM   #6
    Mart7

I had back surgery (discectomy) in 1999 for a large herniation of the L-4 disc. I had been relatively painfree since 1999; however I would notice a lot more stiffness during the winter months. I recently re-injured my back and feel like I'm starting the process all over (can't even get my Doctor to okay an MRI -- even with my past history!) But I definitely, notice an additional impact from the cold.
    -MJ

Old 01-17-2004, 04:39 PM   #7
    SusanPLIF

SusanPLIF HB User

[QUOTE=Jtruzman]I just want to know how many people suffer more when the weather changes ? For me; My pain SKY ROCKETS! When I had Fusion done a few weeks ago, after my recovery it started to rain here in Little Rock. That Saturday night, I could not stand the pain. It was unbareable. I was taking Percocet 10/325 with Bextra and NOTHING would even come close to relieving me at all. The only reason I did not go to the ER for pain relief is that I could not even walk!

Everytime it is gonna rain, I start suffering a day before until the rain stops. It has been like that ever since I started to have back troubles. So...

1.) Can anyone tell me how the weather affects you ?
    2.) Does your pain INCREASE or DECREASE ?

I want everyone to voice there thoughts. I want to see if I am not the only one that is affected by this.

Joe[/QUOTE]

Hi Joe!
    Yes - I too have an increase in pain when the weather changes quickly. Namely, when the barometric pressure suddenly drops. I have [url]www.weather.com[/url] on my 'favorites' so I can check several times a day to see what's up or down.

I had my PLIF in August and have noticed that 98% of the time, my pain is flaring because of the weather fronts. Bleh.

Usually once the pressure stabilizes, even if its still raining (like today), I'm ok. It's usually just when the pressure rapidly changes. My bone donor site hurts the worst when it gets bad and then feels like it just spreads to all around the surgery site.

P.S. Standingman is RIGHT ON about the NSAIDS. I'd leave those out of your pain relief routine until further out from your fusion. Give those bones the best chance to fuse.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:08 AM   #8
    Amy R.
    (female)

Amy R. HB User

Hi Carol,
    Are you talking about a morphine pump? How has it changed you?

[QUOTE=carol632]The weather has affected my back since my first surgery in l981. Rain, snow, ice, or rapid change in climate causes a big increase in my pain levels. It seems to be somewhat better since I had the pump, but my joints still ache more and I just feel "tender" all over, lol.
    Carol[/QUOTE]

Old 01-18-2004, 01:15 PM   #9
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

YEAH! My skin gets incredibly dry! Plus your body needs sun to feel good So bad weather would be bad for your body, and sunny weather would be great.

Old 01-19-2004, 07:40 AM   #10
    Mistina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mistina HB User

THE WEATHER KILLS!!
    I too have an extreme sensitivity to the cold. Living here in PA below Erie, it is the worst with a back problem. It has been so cold here below zero wind chills and it really puts a hurtin' on me. I don't even like to leave my house with this weather cause it is so painful.
    Hope this helps, your not alone!
    Christina

Old 01-19-2004, 08:59 AM   #11
    golden
    (male)

golden HB User

I am moving to Phoenix, AZ this week. Every time I go there my back feels better.

Golden

Closed Thread