It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Anyone that has had a laminectomy/discectomy take muscle relaxers/did it help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2004, 10:14 AM   #1
    Mistina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mistina HB User
    Anyone that has had a laminectomy/discectomy take muscle relaxers/did it help?

I am almost 5 months post op from a laminectomy/discectomy and saw my doctor this morning for a follow up. I have been having problems but not really with radiating pain to the leg or foot like disc pain. It's more like pulling a twinges in my sacrum then the back of my hips will hurt, ect. I was doing PT for a couple of months then returned to work 2 months ago and have been having trouble trying to get back into working all day and doing PT. If I work all day then try to do my excersising it flares me up and I can't stand to go to work the next day I just want to lay on the couch I'm hurting so bad.
    Soooo, my doctor says it's myofascial pain (muscle/ligament) and gave me muscle relaxers and I'm praying that this will get me going again and help me down the road to recovery again. He said that I have got to get to doing my excersising again or it's just gonna be a viscious cycle for me. I know this but when you don't want to send yourself into a flare up what can you do!?
    Does or did anyone else have a problem like this after surgery.
    I just didn't realize that muscles can be this painful. If this is the case, they are killing me!!

Christina

Last edited by Mistina; 01-22-2004 at 10:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2004, 12:31 PM   #2
    keepthefaith

keepthefaith HB User
    Re: Anyone that has had a laminectomy/discectomy take muscle relaxers/did it help?

hey cristina,
    yes i have had that kinda pain b4... i had to go to college after my first op n i had probs being up n about fer long hours tooo... n i used to take muscle rexants fer a few months after that perhaps i did abuse them a bit too but that helped n finally i slowly got off it n was able to handle it later without them...
    i wud suggest u dun excersise fer a while atleast untill the pain subsides...wen it feels better u can start them ... n please take it easy while ur at it...
    well its bin 8 months after my second op but im still scared to start lookin fer job dunno how i cud possibly up n about fer 8 to 10 hourse straigth ...ouch even thinkin about it hurts...but im just chicken i do part time MBA n sitting fer the classes there are bad enuff...
    how is it fer u? do u alternate sitting n standing at work? do u have to sit a lot n dun u feel like lying down nytime during the day?
    ok but the muscle relaxants should work...take care
    fammy
    2003-discetomy on L5-S1

Old 01-28-2004, 05:35 AM   #3
    Mistina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mistina HB User
    Re: Anyone that has had a laminectomy/discectomy take muscle relaxers/did it help?

Hi fammy,
    my doctor told me that it takes about two months for your body/back to adjust to the routine of things again. I went back to work about 3 months post op and the first 6 weeks or so was crappy but I think my body is getting used to it not. It was really really hard the first 3-4 weeks, like I though I was doomed. It has gotton better. I was going home on lunch to lay down but I'm okay now. I am in inside sales/ customer service so I can get up and down as I please. I get up about every half hour and walk around.
    Did your sugery work for you? I sometimes feel like mine didn't. I have strange 'locking up' pain. Like my facet joints aren't moving freely. I can't explain it. My doctor keeps telling me that I must move around and do my excercises but I have this problem that keeps me from moving 'too far'. It's weird and I can't explain it. I should post to see if there is anyone out there who can relate. So far I haven't found anyone yet!
    Well, I wish you luck with your recovery and job hunting.

Christina

Old 06-05-2004, 01:41 PM   #4
    Kokomo

Kokomo HB User
    Pain pattern with lumbar stenosis

I find a very curious thing. All of a sudden, the radicular stenosis pain is minimal and I stand and walk for a mile or more. This lasts for a couple of days. Then if I push just a little too much, it starts hurting like hell, and basically stays inflamed with much pain for several weeks. So out of a month's time I get 3 days of almost pain free and 27 days of hurting like hell. Anyone else experience this rather odd pattern?
    Doesn't seem fair does it? Mea culpa. Share your pain and pleasure with me! Kokomo

Closed Thread